Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Thompson Clone

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default 9mm Thompson Clone

Had a few vac days left so I started a project that has been forming in my mind the last month or so. This project uses a Soumi barrel and a PPS43 bolt which I am modifing using pirates FP sleeve and an AR15 firing pin. Fire control group will also be AR15. Here it is mocked up. It will use Suomi drums or stick mags.

The receiver uses a round tube mounted inside a square tube. The magwell is on of Roger's 2xtm magwells. (My last one.) We need to support Roger in this venture and commit to some more magwells where he will do another run.

This photo shows the relationship of the magwell feed ramp to the barrel. It feeds both drums and mags flawlessly.

The barrel is a 12" Soumi that I turned the end down and made an extension for. The extension was Mig welded to the barrel and turned to final dimension on the lathe. Compensater was turned on the lathe and pressed on the barrel extension. It will be ported at a later date. The front trunnion was turned on the lathe and welded to the barrel.

I will continue to post pics as I get this one finished. All comments welcomed. ( I really need to get back on the MG47 beltfed.)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

looking pretty good to me. Wish I was that handy. I'm still working on my first Romy build.
    If at first you don't succeed..Reload

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

That's nice, I really like that. I bet it has the weight of a tommy too
    The furniture is tommy right? Is it expensive to get? What sights did you use? What about the lower receiver, what is that made from?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    That's nice, I really like that. I bet it has the weight of a tommy too
    The furniture is tommy right? Is it expensive to get? What sights did you use? What about the lower receiver, what is that made from?
    Furniture is from Sarco. Receiver uses 1 1/2" .120 wall square tubing with a round tube inserted inside. (see pics). Sights in the pics are Soumi.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Cool Suomi sights, that help keep the cost down. Yeah I noticed the round tube in the square tube, 1 1/2" square tube thanks.
    What about the lower where the trigger group, trigger gaurd and pistol grip mount to?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Cool Suomi sights, that help keep the cost down. Yeah I noticed the round tube in the square tube, 1 1/2" square tube thanks.
    What about the lower where the trigger group, trigger gaurd and pistol grip mount to?
    Im planning on using the PPS43 lower that I had left over from another project. I have 1 of Pirates MG42 fcg mounting boxes that I think will simplify the install if for no other reason than I can use it for a pattern to drill the pin holes.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

That look great, I had been thinking about doing a thompson build for a while but pretty much lost interest in it last year when I bought a detachable stock Kahr version. This has got me thinking again about a .22 version.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

not bad at all bub...great concept.

now if you could have got that to work in a 45 you would really be cooking with gas...
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    not bad at all bub...great concept.

now if you could have got that to work in a 45 you would really be cooking with gas...
    .45 actually wouldnt be a problem. Open the pps43 bolt face and use a .45 cal barrel with grease gun mags. I was going cheap with readily availabe parts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I got the barrel pinned, the forend mounted and the stock mounted today. Also got the FCG ready to mount. Im waiting on some end mills and my Pirate FP parts to get any further.

I NEED to get back on this puppy.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.