Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: semi-suomi hybrid

Feedback Score

Default semi-suomi hybrid

not a scrap build, but cool enough to mention. the semi-suomi in the pix is various and sundry suomi parts mated to a complete tec-9 style (KG99) closed bolt upper bought as spare parts. this gun runs, but needs a little adjustment to the ejector to get the 100% rating.

the tec barrel is cut off and bored out to accept a weld in of the suomi barrel, which is extended with a same OD thinwall tube. the front of the receiver is welded to a short piece of conduit which is then welded to a standard suomi shroud to get 16"+ from breech face to front of muzzle attachment. the loose FCG parts, after much pulling of hair, are housed in a drop in FCG pack. this pack slips into a housing which is welded to the receiver tube and held in place with (4) 10-32 allen head bolts.

the suomi magwell parts are welded to the receiver tube, and hold either a drum or a stick. the stick needed a small tab welded to front to limit insertion, and the bottom of bolt would have to be shaved to work with the single feed position drum. someday...

the magwell parts installation pushed the FCG assy back about 1/8", so the ejector is a little too far back. fired with a dry tube, ejection is 90%. WD 40 in the tube speeds the bolt up so that the ejected case is often caught by the bolt coming home on the next round, and we get stoppage. building up the front of the sheet metal ejector with a piece of cut nail and some silver solder to get earlier ejection seems a simple enough fix, or i could cut a new one from some harder steel. in future builds this will not be the case. i will be more clever and set the mag well correctly.

4 similar uppers available (AB10 and AP9) are slated for a yugo model 49 conversion using PPSH parts in 762X25, a wood stocked version of this poor creature in 9x19 that should fool the average joe, and god knows what else. the design deviation they will all suffer is that the distance from FCG to mag must be minimised, as the uppers are set up this way. good enough. it keeps the OAL down to about 25 with wire stock compressed, and 32 with wood stocks. perhaps a 762X25 pistol similar to the original application, but using pps43 mags.

of note, the AP9 parts sets are more easily adaptable, as they have all FCG parts in a trigger pack, while the AB10 and KG99 have them loose. these kits came from gunbroker. there is a seller of police demils on GB who has them from time to time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

thanks for posting this!!

thats a very nice look at it and some great on the fly work. im studying it up now... gonna go look some more.

im not sure if i posted mine here or not.... if i didnt will for you tomorrow.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

Default Now thats

Now thats different

Feedback Score

It has a great look to it! The semi tec9 parts idea is very interesting!

JJS

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Looks nice! Ejector problems can be a pain.

I've wondered how does the Suomi barrel treat the brass? Is it bulged after firing? Or is it relatively untouched?

I love to see stuff like this. There are so many things you can do with those parts that I'm surprised more people haven't "discovered" ways to build them!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

my soumi barrel is very good to everything that goes thru it and i shoot the shit out of the thing...

they are great guns.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    my soumi barrel is very good to everything that goes thru it and i shoot the shit out of the thing...

they are great guns.

Did you build one dutigaf????

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hey bub,

built the regular soumi a couple of years ago (it was my first build, GULP!!)

did the STEUOMI hybrid here in the spring. its posted here on the site. pretty cool and runs like a raped ape.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Sweet looking build. It gives me new ideas and hope for my poor Suomi kit.

Feedback Score

That looks pretty slick, nice job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.