Gunco Forums banner

M1928A1 Thompson semi-auto finished

4K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  resting 
#1 ·
I dont have any photos yet but will soon, could not wait to tell you folks about it,very exited about it. Test fired today,perfect. About a year in the making, w/ Philidelphia Ordnance receiver, AR15 trigger group. Atta boy to Dutigaf for the how-to on Beltfedshooters site. This is one of those special firearms that I thought I would never own, but now I do. Thank our founding fathers for the 2nd amendment,SWEET!!! See ya!:salute::headbang::woot:

#2 ·
thanks bub,

im stoked to see your pictures!!

if you used the set up like mine and got it set, it will just keep pounding them out there till your broke! :)

#4 ·
Way to go ( hoorah ) Ditto pic's please. It must have been hard with a Philidelphia Ord. Rec.:cheers::notworthy

#8 ·
I will try to download pics tonight. The phila ord rec was a challenge what with doing it with a drill press,die grinder,and moto tool,hours of grinding,but worth it. Oxpho-Blued it last night(I didnt want y'all to see it until I got it prettied up)and I think it looks pretty good. I gotta get a milling machine/lathe! Later

#11 ·
so did you extend the barrel the same way i did? (buying the 16" and then shorten it back down and weld the comp on..)

pix looks good. may have to try that oxpho blue some time.

nice work and im very glad that you have yours up and running..

#14 ·
VZ58,

dont want to step on MTDEW's thread, but since he already mentioned it... he used a set up that i came up with and detailed out in my build thread and you can see it at this link:

BeltfedShooters.com

im not sure if your a member or not.... you will have to log in to see all the pix.

do have a short version of the build here on GUNCO.

#15 ·
I am but a student. The master is dutigaf. Without his teaching this would be nothing but a theory in my head. Seriously though, Mine is almost identical to his and you should go to his thread at beltfedshooters if you are interested in doing one..This is very doable if you take your time.

Attachments

#16 ·
very nicely done MT DEW!!

thanks for the compliments bud..

but you did even better than you let on!

looks like you got the cross pins and all in good shape.

im very impressed! your finish looks good in these pix also. very even!

#17 ·
dutigaf/Mt Dew

I first read the thread at machingunbooks .com, then went to beltfeeders. ok I got a question: you guys used a ar-15 trigger pack and yes thats a great system
but did you guys look to see if other trigger packs (semi-auto) would fit in the existing thompson triggerguard holes
thats my only question???

Dutigaf on Machinegunbooks you talked about getting grief for posting on that site, which didn't happen! they treated you like a pussy cat compared to the crap I got at FAL Files for my 70% to 100% FN FAL I took some grief here also.
great job

again did you try other trigger systems

Thanks
sprat

#18 ·
hi SPRAT!!!

your right for the most part ive been treated very good with this build (at least in public)... a few people took some shots at it(me).. but that comes with the territory.

did i try some other set ups first? oh hell yeah, i ran about 6 different set ups thru my head and laying them out on the lower and so on...

this set up was the best of all the worlds... easy, compliant,cheap & available to everyone.

my next choice was the FAL group in a Pirate cage set up... but it didnt let you retain all the factory levers.

my next choice after that was the 870 FCG and ti took a lot of reworking..

great to hear from you.

sean

#19 ·
This looks like a fantastic project to work out!

Thanks to Dutigaf and the rest who debugged it.

It is really GREAT to be among those who really appreciate and love this hobby!

But, I am just an old 9mm dog.

Guess they will find me with an UZI and or a 9mm AR after a fire fight with the terrorist.

M U S I B I K E

#20 ·
this is MTDEW's thread and he deserves the credit for being able to follow my fuzzy pictures and hillbilly writing...

so MTDEW heres to you!!

a good shot of wild turkey 101 with a ice cold MTDEW chaser just happens to be my favorite drink... you should try it.

#21 ·
Thanks duti, altho I only drink a coupla sam adams(octoberfest kicks ass) I used to partake of a mt dew & canadian mist mix alot back in the day.But my all time fav was austin nichols rare breed.wow. Anyway,Back to the subject, all I did was to follow Dutigafs example,although I coundnt work out your firing pin setup so I worked out my own fix.I did it like a ar15 fp. Carefully welded a small washer behind the fp head and drilled,tapped hole in the bolt body for a set screw simular to sgn-9 build. Shortend fp spring and it works great. Ok, gotta go to work now see ya!

#23 ·
yeah there are quite a few pix of the reweld in progress over at Weaponsguild.com or at Beltfedshooters.com..... thats where the full build thread is at.

i had no issues with warping at all. but im a clamp the crap out of it from every direction and then tack it all up and weld a little on each side and not ever a lot in one area.

use angle iron & clamps to hold it all in place on a spare lower which means that it cant move AND you get the exact spacing needed.

yes a super good machine style guy would just go by the prints alone.... i check with the prints and then use a spare lower so there is NO question as to where it goes and how it sits..

NOTE: you must drill and insert & weld your denial pins BEFORE you do any rewelding. if you dont.... you have a machine gun the instant you strike the first arc!!! the agent was VERY specific about this wheni talked to them.

do your pins FIRST!!!

#25 ·
i have no clue.... here one day gone the next and RIch hasnt called me to let me know ....

go to this thread at WG and i know that its still there...you'll have to log in first then it will take you right to it.

ive had over 30 questions on the build in the last 2days!! yee haw!!

Login

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.