Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: How Hard are Suomi M31 Builds???

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I have my kit, but I am in no hurry to build it.

Just the idea of a semi-auto rifle that takes a 72-rd drum is pleasing to me. Plus, I already have the drums and magazines on hand.

When I finally get around to building a SA Soumi rifle, I'm ready. Heck, I even have the metal lathe to make the barrel bushing.

One way to determine the length of the barrel bushing is to insert a magazine within the housing, and measure the total length of the bushing resulting there from. I hope that makes sense to y'all, it does to me.

It appears that an M-1 Carbine FCG "might" work in the SA version. If so, the trigger housing can be modified as well, resulting in (4) U.S. made parts. The receiver will be the "magic" 5th U.S. part.

The bolt will have to be modified to match the FCG. The length and weight of the bolt can be reduced. The bolt was designed for full-auto fire. A semi-auto bolt will not require as much weight.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

US Parts count is not a issue.
    The rifle in question is IMPORTABLE if it was semi-auto closed bolt.
    Member of the
    There may be help for some of us, but for me I am lost...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The Suomi is an interesting problem. Is the thing even modifiable
    to a closed bolt? I'm asking, I have no idea.
    I like the M1 Carbine FCG idea.

I'd like to see it happen, but need to know the theory behind closed bolt
    operation first, I'm going into this blind.
    Any ideas?
    Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

Feedback Score

It would be a challenging project to convert the Suomi to a semi auto rifle. IMI redesigned the Uzi for semi auto only when they imported the Uzi for civilian use. They used a closed bolt and almost made it impossible to convert the Uzi to shoot full auto. Maybe if Prexis will make a semi auto only receiver for the Suomi along with a closed bolt with a moving firing pin, then we could build a nice plinker out of it.
    Die terrorist scum!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I got two kits in.............I'm looking into this build also.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I am really hoping something happens with these soon, because I really want one! I am trying not to buy a kit until I get all the info, but I don't know if I can wait.

Feedback Score

the best thinking i have seen on this involved sleeving the original tube with a smaller tube that has OD same as original ID. the insert is welded to the original in the torch cuts. the bolt would have to be converted to floating firing pin and diameter reduced, and the barrel welded in place. the fcg would have to be replaced with a semi AK or SKS. connecting the new fcg with the firing pin is the most difficult part. the bolt would have to be windowed on the bottom for this. i have 2 of these from last fall when they were cheap, and will be modding them same as the beretta i did last winter. i estimate 40 hours in a build, doing the welding and parts modification. should be worth it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Man! that sounds like an involved project. I'm in for that 40 hour thing.

Obviously your knowledge in this dept is worth some wampum.

If you figure out a solution and would be willing to share the info

for an equal trade count me in JustaShooter.
    Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter
    the best thinking i have seen on this involved sleeving the original tube with a smaller tube that has OD same as original ID. the insert is welded to the original in the torch cuts. the bolt would have to be converted to floating firing pin and diameter reduced, and the barrel welded in place. the fcg would have to be replaced with a semi AK or SKS. connecting the new fcg with the firing pin is the most difficult part. the bolt would have to be windowed on the bottom for this. i have 2 of these from last fall when they were cheap, and will be modding them same as the beretta i did last winter. i estimate 40 hours in a build, doing the welding and parts modification. should be worth it.
    Is the bolt similar to the M56? It sounds like the same window type idea being worked on for yhat.

I was wondering if they were even worth building. I really doubt I will build the m56. If the suomi is the same I might only because the high cap mag.

Feedback Score

The Suomi build will not be as difficult as many think. Because the way it is designed it lends itself to a conversion. We are almost complete with an M-56 conversion, probably have the first up and running in a few weeks, then on to the Suomi which will use many of the same ideas. The big problem right now is finding a front filler and if you haven't ordered the bolt handle and spring yet, you better because the people who cut the receiver didn't bother to remove them.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
    When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.