Gunco Forums banner

KP44 questions

10K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Coils 
#1 ·
I had the misfortune of buying a KP44 kit, forgot from who, it's been awhile. Anyway, the magazine well has been cut on the lower receiver. I don't need another kit, just a lower that's uncut. How have others been dealing with this tragedy?

#2 ·
Hello D,
Surprising that no one has replied as yet here. The Finnish KP-44 (M-44) mag well is part of the upper receiver which is likely why it was cut to BATFE tech specs. The Russian PPS-43 version has the magwell as part of the lower assembly (not receiver).

There are upper KP-44 semi-auto receiver pressings, "80%" types available from which the magwell is reconstructed. The magwell is just a cut-out notch in the sheet metal. It is boxed for rigidity.

Later,
VD

#4 ·
kp44 flats

Hello D,
Surprising that no one has replied as yet here. The Finnish KP-44 (M-44) mag well is part of the upper receiver which is likely why it was cut to BATFE tech specs. The Russian PPS-43 version has the magwell as part of the lower assembly (not receiver).

There are upper KP-44 semi-auto receiver pressings, "80%" types available from which the magwell is reconstructed. The magwell is just a cut-out notch in the sheet metal. It is boxed for rigidity.

Later,
VD
Have you seen the 80% parts.I'm trying to make flats that could been bent
that are close to the original as possible.I'm on the 3rd. one ,I'm getting closer. Any input would help.

#3 ·
Thank you Viper Dude. It's a good day when I learn something !

Weaponeer had a MGS five pack of 43's I think , without barrels for cheap. LOTS of mags.

#5 ·
Cold Steel Solutions sells "80%" folded KP-44 receivers made of .071 inch thick 4130 chrome-moly sheet steel. These are listed for $140.oo each on their website: Home

They also sell blueprints for $15.oo and templates for $7.oo. Those items are free with purchase of their receiver pressing.

I haven't used one of their KP-44 templates so I can't comment on their accuracy but will keep looking for a flat or template to share.

VD

#21 · (Edited)
KP-44 Flat Dwg

MGS in Texas has this "repair section" for the KP-44 also. Military Gun Supply, Your Source for Military Guns and More!
They also sell the barrel bushing and the feed block (which I suspect helps create the drum mag well).
Yes, I'm still searching for a paper template for the KP-44 flat.
VD
I've drawn my own drawings to bend a complete upper reciever section.
My problem is I've bent the steel ,and I have not got each side to line up corectly yet.
The drawing is layed out for the folds in the mag well,an the trunnion
support.You do have more than one bend to make the mag section.
If you have a kit,you can make your own drawings.You do need
a mag,trunnion,feed ramp.(you can make your own feed ramp).Mic your
kit an order some flat steel stock.4130 stock.Aircraft Spruce.com
Up date,Ive made 4 flats sofar.I'm still working on the spring back from the 4130.
Made new jig from angle iron,an turned a new round stock.Will see what happens.
Always accepting input ,thanks AL

#11 ·
I started off thinking " why " when you could just use a pps-43 kit and save yourself a lot of hassle but then again you can't use drums in a PPS-43. I suppose you could pick up a pps-43 kit for the barrel and bolt and move the kp-44 rear mag well block back a bit to use the bigger ppsh-41 mags. .

#12 ·
Hello chip,
The KP-44 bolt is fine with the 7.62x25mm Tokarev ammo. Use the PPS-43 barrel for the caliber change from 9x19mm

A PPSh-41 drum and stick mag will as you mentioned require a bit of fitting to work in the KP-44 mag well. The KP-44 drum I believe is a SUOMI 9mm item and a little thinner.

VD

#15 ·
All the KP-44 kits I've seen including the ones copes is selling have barrels Same with the PPSH-41 kits. The PPS -43 are the only ones Ive seen without barrels. I know where a real nice PPS-43 kit with a barrel for $150 I'm trying to decide on buying or not. I need more kits like I need another hole in my head

#20 ·
I got a KP-44 kit from Copes and just sent the bolt to Greg Clark for modifications. I'm still waiting for the receiver section and trunnion from MGS.

This is going to be one ugly a$$ gun.:barf:
I think a form one is going to be sent in for this one.

#23 ·
Some people are cutting up old Russian Nagant barrels 7.62x54r to make 16" 7.62x25 barrels, if you have a lathe & a few gunsmith tools its possible. Weaponeer has a few ( How I did It ) Forums there. - That info might even be there at Gunco I don't know for sure, wish I could be more help.

#24 ·
9mm is keyed to the KP44.
You can use the suomi drums.
Why the fuss over 7.62?

Get a PPsh 41 and run 7.62
Or, a '43.

9mm is cleaner.
I dunno, just my experience.
[video=youtube;cPUFLz_Vtys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPUFLz_Vtys&feature=related]YouTube - KP-44 close up[/video]

#25 ·
Knock Down Power

9mm is keyed to the KP44.
You can use the suomi drums.
Why the fuss over 7.62?

Get a PPsh 41 and run 7.62
Or, a '43.

9mm is cleaner.
I dunno, just my experience.
YouTube - KP-44 close up
Thes guys think that the 9mm has no stopping power.They know that most of the 7.62x25 is machine gun ammo.I don't believe it matters when you put 30+rounds into someone .I personally like the7.25 only because I own other guns of that size.
Thanks AL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.