Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Suomi update!

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Markp View Post
    Which kit did you build off of, and how hard did you feel the build was. The wife is wanting to get me a gun kit for V-day and I was debating between a Skorpion, PPSh-41, the KP44, and the Suomi.

Mark
    This build was the hardest build to date. I've put together AR15s, M1 garands, M1 carbines, AK'S fixed and under folders, and FAL's. I didn't have near as much time in any three of them as I had in this one build. I built the receiver out of 4130 tubing and sheet steel from wicks aircraft supply. If I had started with a prexis 80% receiver that would of saved me lots of work. The hardest parts of my build were the bolt and receiver. You can buy one thats already had most of the major maching operations done except for the mag,ejection port, rear sight and hammer slots/holes. You can also buy a semi bolt. With those two things out of the way the build wouldn't be too bad. Look at my sgn-9 thread that Coils listed and also look at the prexis website which I believe is listed in the thread. My bulid cost $60 for the Suomi kit, $45 in steel, $42 for a 870 trigger group. I already had a lathe, welder, drill press, propane torch, files, dremmel. I bought a air die grainder and an air cut off tool to do the build, but I was wanting them anyway. So I have a total of about $147 in the build and a lot of time.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    This build was the hardest build to date. I've put together AR15s, M1 garands, M1 carbines, AK'S fixed and under folders, and FAL's. I didn't have near as much time in any three of them as I had in this one build. I built the receiver out of 4130 tubing and sheet steel from wicks aircraft supply. If I had started with a prexis 80% receiver that would of saved me lots of work. The hardest parts of my build were the bolt and receiver. You can buy one thats already had most of the major maching operations done except for the mag,ejection port, rear sight and hammer slots/holes. You can also buy a semi bolt. With those two things out of the way the build wouldn't be too bad. Look at my sgn-9 thread that Coils listed and also look at the prexis website which I believe is listed in the thread. My bulid cost $60 for the Suomi kit, $45 in steel, $42 for a 870 trigger group. I already had a lathe, welder, drill press, propane torch, files, dremmel. I bought a air die grainder and an air cut off tool to do the build, but I was wanting them anyway. So I have a total of about $147 in the build and a lot of time.

I would like to know more about your use of a Rem 870 FCG on this build how on earth did you do that I need to know?? I'm very curious as I have built a KP44 & PPS43 with them
    I'm an expert @ what won't work & what not to do

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rocco1911 View Post
    I would like to know more about your use of a Rem 870 FCG on this build how on earth did you do that I need to know?? I'm very curious as I have built a KP44 & PPS43 with them
    The remington FCG was the easiest part of the build. I think the remington set 870 FCG was almost made for the Suomi. I had to make: two blocks to go on either side of the hammer spring with the rear one having a safety detent; a extended trigger bar; a disconnector bar. The whole thought process with detailed pictures is laid out here http://www.gunco.net/forums/f245/sgn-9-a-37899/ Here's a picture of the internals. The blue rear block has the safety detent (the safety works), and it also controls the sear travel. The red bar is the disconnector. The front block is already riveted in. I have since made a new trigger bar out of heat treatable steel. THe disconnector works just like the remington in that the hammer spring pushes it up at the top of the stroke which lifts the trigger bar off of the sear so it can reset. It works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Default Excellent job!

I'm very impressed
    I'm an expert @ what won't work & what not to do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.