Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suomi drums break down/loading?

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question Suomi drums break down/loading?

I got some suomi drums from copes today and was wondering how to properly open them up to clean out the cosmoline/dirt ect, and how and if you need to, wind them. It looks like you press the button on the back while you rotate the catch and lift up the cover. Is that correct or am I going to have springs flying everywhere?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Yes, push the bottom in and drop the level on the other side. The door will come off. And no spring will be released.

I forgot where I stole this..

Open the drum by pressing the ratchet release pin and rotating the locking arm away from the
    retaining shoulder.
    Charge the drum by winding the cage counterclockwise. The ratcheting mechanism will ‘click’ as
    you wind the cage. Each ‘click’ is approximately 10 rounds and represents a locking point for the
    ratcheting mechanism. Only charge the drum to the point you want to load it. At a certain point,
    approximately 5 ‘clicks,’ the base plate will start rotating with the cage and pusher arm.
    Once the cage and base plate cannot rotate any further, start loading the drum bullet tip up. You
    will need to do this on a flat surface so the rounds do not tip over. Be very careful not to press the
    ratchet release button, it will release the full force of the spring and possibly crack the feed lip.
    Once full, press the ratchet release button and make sure that there is sufficient force pushing the
    rounds toward the feed lip to feed the gun during cycle. Place the cover plate over the drum body,
    press the ratchet release pin and rotate the locking arm toward the retaining shoulder.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thank you sir! I tried it and still have all my fingers and eyeballs! As dirty and greasy as they were on the outside they're pretty clean inside.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

No problem. These are really cool drums, and what a steal/deal at $20~$25 bucks each. Maybe someday I'll actually finish a 9mm project so I can use them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have a semi suomi done to the point where I can shoot it. I just used some reduced ID 4130 tubing from wicks and measured what was left of my suomi receiver for the other measurements as best as I could. I'll have to change the magwell a little bit for the drums before I can use them, but I knew that when I was making it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I started with a Suomi and kinda got stalled modding the bolt. I got one hole drilled into it and gave up. Mind you, it hasn't beaten me yet. I bought some pps stuff from member jungp and I am going that route for now. He has been a huge help, so I may get this project done. I saw your Suomi thread and that is some great work you are doing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks, its been a challenging build. I got stalled on it also once deer season started, but got a kick start when the election was over. I stole all the build ideas from this site and weaponeer except for the trigger guard and the use of the remington fire control group. I think I've figured out a slightly easier way to modify the bolt which is the real pisser part of the build. I'll try it out and then post the results with pictures here when I'm done.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If there's an easier way to convert a Suomi bolt, I'm all ears!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Jim Jones View Post
    If there's an easier way to convert a Suomi bolt, I'm all ears!
    Me too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

SLIGHTLY, I said slightly easier. I got my suomi test bolt from copes last nite and need to get a few more things before I start on this bolt. I may have to look through my parts bin to see what I need to sell in order to continue my tinkering without catching any flack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.