Thread: Sten 2 drilling the bolt for firing pin

Feedback Score

Default Sten 2 drilling the bolt for firing pin

Hello I see on other forums ,that shows drilling a hole thru the bolt to install the firing pin for semi auto Stens. How do you drill the Sten 2 bolt that is hardened steel? Would you need to get carbine tipped bits to drill the holes? Do you need to heat anneal the steel , then drill and mill, then heat treat it again? Has anyone drilled the hardened bolts? Thanks IRONMULE

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Hi, I haven't done my sten mkII build yet, but I was going to follow the SGN build from a few years ago with a few changes. He annealed the bolt for that build. I have modified suomi bolts to semi. Other sites have listed the suomi bolts at 55RC and to machine them I also annealed the bolt. I haven't heat treated the bolts yet and don't know if I will as I seriously doubt I'll put a ton of rounds through them. If I did re heat treat them I wouldn't try to make them as hard as they were initially just in case I accidently made them too hard and they would crack.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

A lot of Sten bolts aren't very hard. If you can remove metal with a file from it, you can drill it with a good quality bit. I recommend cobalt with lots of lubricant.

-yarro

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I drilled a new bolt handle hole in a Sten bolt by first grinding away a little metal (a few thousandths of an inch)to get pass the harden metal.

Grinding away the firing pin may accomplish the same thing. I use Titanium drill bits. Start small and work your way up to the size hole you need.

Feedback Score

Hello Thank you everybody for your help with talk of drilling of a sten bolt. It sounds like drilling is going to work. Is everybody using a shaft striker type set up to strike the firing pin?,or you using the AR15 hammer, sear, trigger group? I have not seen much of other trigger set ups, other than the "SAS " set up with two springs and rods and round block. Cheers Thanks again IRONMULE

Search tags for this page

sten ar15 firing pin sleeve

sten bolt anneal

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.