Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Suomi build

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    I never measured my barrel but aren't they only a couple inch (3 or 4) under the 16" mark?
    The suomi barrels as they come are a hair over 12-1/4" long. With the compensated shroud you're at 14-1/2". So in that respect you're only adding 1-3/4" to the overall length of a suomi by making the barrel 16-1/4" long. The ant eater look sucks, but its not as bad with the longer comped shroud. Eventually I want to lengthen a shroud another 1-3/4" so the barrel only sticks out the 3/8" or so as the barrel looking nub on the end of the comped shroud does.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by par0thead151 View Post
    good point, i never thought of welding to the barrel.
    i assumed i would have to buy a new barrel, in which case it would almost be worth SBR'ing all my suomis then as thats only 200$ whereas a bew barrel, and us parts and all that jaz would probably cost more than 200
    Ya, it's a shame the 1968 CGA and 1986 FPA laws passed, $200 and we could dispense with all this BS and have authentic Suomi's, instead of federally neutered ones. Makes those $599.00 prebuilt Suomi's look more attractive. By the time you are done with the kit, compliance parts, and a new barrel, you are almost $400 to $500 in.

When I get around to building my Suomi, I hope to SBR mine. I think my compensated shroud would look goofy as an ant eater.

Mark

Feedback Score

Default great thread

great work and great photos, keep them coming... what fcg are you going to use?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Markp View Post
    Ya, it's a shame the 1968 CGA and 1986 FPA laws passed, $200 and we could dispense with all this BS and have authentic Suomi's, instead of federally neutered ones. Makes those $599.00 prebuilt Suomi's look more attractive. By the time you are done with the kit, compliance parts, and a new barrel, you are almost $400 to $500 in.

When I get around to building my Suomi, I hope to SBR mine. I think my compensated shroud would look goofy as an ant eater.

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by oprod View Post
    great work and great photos, keep them coming... what fcg are you going to use?

I have $75 in the kit, of course they're running about $125 now, about $30 in steel for the receiver and $30 for a remington trigger group. Add in another $10 for extras and you're still under $200.
    Oprod, this build is going to use a remington 742 hammer and sear. The one pictured at the begining of this thread uses a remington 870 hammer and sear. Here's the thread covering its construction. http://www.gunco.net/forums/f245/sgn-9-a-37899/
    Last edited by moleman; 05-24-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: add link

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Makes those $599.00 prebuilt Suomi's look more attractive.
    If you have to buy all the SA parts you are better off buying a built gun, it's only a few $$ difference.
    A friend just got one from CFS, I'm going to check it out tomorrow, I'm going to try and have him field strip it and take some pics.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    If you have to buy all the SA parts you are better off buying a built gun, it's only a few $$ difference.
    A friend just got one from CFS, I'm going to check it out tomorrow, I'm going to try and have him field strip it and take some pics.
    Yeah, you pretty much need a lathe and a mill to complete this receiver from tubing. You can make due with out the mill, but the lathe is a must have. The sa 80% receivers and sa bolts look very nice, but bring the price of the build up fast.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Yeah, you pretty much need a lathe and a mill to complete this receiver from tubing. You can make due with out the mill, but the lathe is a must have. The sa 80% receivers and sa bolts look very nice, but bring the price of the build up fast.

<- Has Lathe, Has Mill, Has Welders. I'm ready to build something after my Ph.D. qualifying exams. I was "bad" today and played with my Mill and some tubing anyway. Practicing making nice cuts with it and learning how fast I can feed metal on the baby Mill.

Mark

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I'm bringing this over from the M11 M10 Builds thread, don't want to hijack his thread.
    Your ppsh41 looks nice. The only real problem I've had with the suomi is not trimming the ejector enough. The cases were ejecting too soon and I've had to trim the section just forward of the step that kicks out the shells, but a little touch up with the dremmel fixed that. I built the first one without the aid of a milling machine and although it took a lot longer but was still "do"able. I want to blue this next one and have everything except the steel tanks to do it. Thanks for the kind words on the writeup. I've only seen a few writeups where people have built them from either rewelding or a prexis tube. I'm hoping to give people a cheaper alternative so that more people will start building them as they're neat guns. Of course the downside is you need a lathe or access to one and a milling machine is nice also.
    And this also fits
    Thank you on the compliment about the PPSH41, it's not a top quality build but it looks decent and functions. I worry more about function then finish, I'd rather play with a build for a little before worrying about how it looks.

Yes I agree a lathe is a must and a small mill would be very helpful. I was going to go with an 80% blank and some of the other semi stuff for a few builds but after watching the SG9 build I realized I'd save money buying the equiptment, minimum tooling and raw tubing to do it myself. And after I'm done I can always sell the tools if I don't find another use, yeah right there's always something new to make.
    I got a SUOMI, a PPS43 or two, STEN(s), Yugo M56, CZ26 and a pistol caliber AK (most likely 9mm) I want to do yet. Also got a DP28 but I know I'll need pro help with that.

So keep posting the great info and pics, I'm sure there's quite a few people your helping that don't even reply.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

After what Coils wrote, I sort of feel like I have to jump in here.

If you plan to build more than one or two guns, or something more involved than assembling an AK or AR, then I would say that I would get the small mill first, but in reality you'd want both.

You can do a lot with a little time, ingenuity, and thought. You can do it much faster with a lathe or a mill. The question is how serious are you about building vs buying. Don't build to save money, by the time you purchase all the tools, tooling, and consumables you'll be dollars ahead buying guns, unless you complete all your builds with a dremel tool and a HF scratch start TIG.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from building, lots of great benefits of BIY. One of which is knowing your weapon intimately and not having to guess if someone else did the job right, another is the ability to brag about your build, and finally to build uncommon weapons that have a true collectors feel. How many of your friends have AK's and AR's? They all do, they have Glocks too. How original, but when you go to the range and bust out your semi-only PPSh-41 and TTC, people stop and stare... they want to know all about the cool guns you have and where they can get them.

Coils is right, the right tools make the job much easier.

Mark

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Markp View Post

Mark
    anyone buy one of those centerfiresystems suomis yet?
    im looking to read a review on them.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.