Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Suomi build

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Trigger group part #2

Since I'm using a remington hammer and sear in my build I will need to make some blocks to hold the sear, hammer and hammer spring + plunger in position. I started with my solid block and rough cut out the two blocks as shown in the drawing. They are on 1/4" scale paper (I traced them and cleaned them up a bit). The new remington trigger groups are made of plastic so I used mild steel for these blocks which seems to hold up just fine. The front block has a lowered and smaller lug to prevent the insertion of an unmodified trigger group in the finished build. This pattern is for the 870 hammer and sear, which will work, but will require some fitting for the slightly different 742 hammer and sear for this build. Lastly is a picture of how the fire control system will be layed out. The completed set of blocks I hacksawed/filed out, and the profiled ones I milled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by par0thead151 View Post
    anyone buy one of those centerfiresystems suomis yet?
    im looking to read a review on them.
    Can't give a full review but a friend just got one and we shot it today to make sure it worked, put like a 100+ rounds through it, used two brands of ammo (don't know what the one was and the other was Wolf) and it ran fine.
    I wanted him to field strip it to check out the inerts but he didn't want to at the range, he said he'll get me some pics later.
    I'd give it from the little time a messed with it.

I might get one, got to see what I want to sell now.

Feedback Score

Excellent work and documentation, moleman! I have a flock of Suomi's that will benefit from your help. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default barrel latch repair

The original suomi barrel latch which was riveted into the front filler had its rivet removed as a part of the demil. In order to install the latch you'll need to reconstruct either the rivet or tap it for a machine screw. I chose to just use a machine screw as no matter how hard I try its still not going to be a real suomi. If you want to turn this style fix into a rivetted in latch later you can, but more on that later. I started by making a jig to hold the latch out of 1-1/4" aluminum rod and bored a tight fitting hole in the center so that I had to press in the latch stem. I also put a setscrew to hold the latch stem as some of my more worn stems were several thousands under what the newish looking one was. I then turned off the old rivet and drilled a hole with a #25 drill bit in its place just shy of the spring in the latch handle. Then I tapped the hole with a 10-24 tap. Here's a picture of from left to right a demilled latch, a latch with the "rivet" turned off, and a completed latch threaded for a 10-24 button head screw. When removing the old rivet try not to remove any material from the step in the latch stem as it sets the distance so that the latch doesn't rub on the front filler. I even left a few thousands of the old rivet to make sure I wouldn't alter that surface. This can be done with files and a drill if you're careful. If you want to rivet the latch back in place just thread a section of rod that is the same size as the inside diameter of the rivet washer. Leave enough of the rod sticking up to form a rivet and red loctite it in.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Moleman, your getting pretty good at this stuff! I think when you are done we should turn this thread into a sticky.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks, I haven't had much time to work on it the past month because of family comittments. I also broke the 1/8" end mill I was using on the barrel bushing and need to order another one before I can continue.

Feedback Score

moleman,
    when you order the end mill order me a 13/32 end mill. better yet Ill swap you a 1/8" for the 13/32 mill. no, oh well. hope you get the time to get back on it. muttman

Feedback Score

Moleman or anyone else, Is there any type drawing with some dimensions for the front filler?

Thanks, Barrel guy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Its not perfect as I've found differences between actual front fillers and what is given in this drawing of an 80% front filler. They're close enough to make a functioning filler out of it though. There is or was a guy on weaponsguild that was selling front hillers he makes.

Feedback Score

Thanks Moleman! Can't quite see it good enough. To small. Could you email it to me at fnp3374@sbcglobal.net.

If you ever need help with barrels I'm a barrel maker.

Thanks, Barrel Guy

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.