Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Suomi build

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Barrel guy, the tg slot in the back of a new rear filler is undersized so it can be fitted to the gun. I recently got to check out a tnw trigger pack and they left the tg lug and rear filler slot unchanged. They added a blocking pin throught the sideplates that goes through where the top front of the trigger guard frame is so the top front corner is milled away so an unmodified one won't fit as seen here in one of my remington/suomi trigger group conversions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by moleman; 12-07-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: picture update

Feedback Score

Thanks Moleman! So if I machine the slot on the rear filler and or do the trigger group housing for dimensional purposes of properly locating the trigger group. The trigger group assembly should fully engage the slot of the rear filler. Correct? I guess I'm worried about the location of the trigger group. If it is to close or to far away the I'm worried the hammer won't work properly. If to close or to far away the hammer will not swing properly and fail to hit the firing pin.

Thanks, Barrel Guy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Either machine the lug or the undersized slot in the rear filler so that the top of the trigger group rests flat against the receiver tube. I'm switching to a blocking pin like the comercial guns and not changing the slot and lug locations like I've done on previous builds. However you decide to do it, just make sure an unmodified trigger group won't fit in the receiver. What hammer setup are you using?

Feedback Score

Ibought a suomi but a may try a 9mm ak pistol

Feedback Score

Moleman, the block on the trigger housing measures .393 and the new rear filler measures .380. So these should be machined so they will fit together correct?

I haven't totally settled on how or which fire control system to use. I'm weighing all my options. I've looked at your's several times. I'm also looking at what components are easily available and easiest to work with.

Right now I'm basically in some planning stages and laying everything out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yes, here's some pics to hopefully clear it up. You need to leave a few thousands clearance between the tg lug and rear filler slot since the trigger group is put in at an angle, then the trigger guard end is pushed down. There is a monster thread over at weaponeer on the suomi's. I've seen M1 garand and carbine, ar15's and of course remington fire control groups used as well as striker fired versions. I'm working on a limited machining remington conversion that retains the original suomi front trigger group lug.
    The top pic shows how the stock tang, trigger group and rear filler fit together. The bottem picture shows a new rear filler and one that I've rewelded and relocated the slot on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

I have two Suomi kits that I bought a really long time ago. They have different barrel configurations.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have a BATFE approved semi bolt and takedown design.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I was thinking of getting a suomi kit from CFS but figured the reweld would be 2 expensive for me at the moment since I have several unfinished projects so I said no...

After 'suomi envy' I think I will probably get a kit and store it with the rest of my 'guncrap' as the wife calls it and wait for a rainy year or 2 down the road!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.