Thread: can u chrome new and used barrels!!!

Feedback Score

Question can u chrome new and used barrels!!!

is there a co. or people that can chrome a smg barrel (like a pps 43)?i ve got a chrome one and a plain jane. the plain jane fits the trunnion better.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

It can be done, but the results will be disappointing because:

a) The chrome plate will shrink the bore and grooves to a smaller diameter than your original - so you won't be able to shoot it without causing excessive pressure.

b) The chrome plate (if applied to the chamber) will tighten up headspace and the neck so that (if you're lucky) rounds can't even be chambered or (if you're not so lucky) rounds CAN be chambered on a tight neck. That plus the tight bore is begging for a KB.

c) Chromed bores have the rifling cut differently before chroming so the plate "fills in" leaving relatively sharp land and groove corners. Without the pre-chrome rifling, you end up with rounded lands and grooves.

So, chroming an existing non-chromed, finished barrel is a great way to ruin it! Unless you plan to shoot corrosive ammo and never clean it, why the need for chrome?
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

hey, u said it ,corrosive ammo and plus it stay humid in these hills. i thought maybe they would prep a barrel be for chroming, like opening the chamber a hair and cutting rifleing to takine care of crowding the bullet in the bore after chromeing.

Feedback Score

it probably cost to much any way!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I shoot corrosive ammo through unchromed bores all the time, 7.62x54r in Mosins, 7.62x25 in Tokarevs and CZ52's, and 8mm in my Mausers. Simple, quick field cleaning with water and an oily patch shortly after firing, followed by a thorough cleaning at home has kept all my milsurps bright and shiny.

Cleaning after corrosive ammo adds maybe 30 seconds to the cleaning cycle. Besides, a bore is only one part that can corrode. What about a muzzle device, the gas port, gas tube and action? What about the bolt (primers leak!) and firing pin? Chrome makes some sense in a military setting (though not a huge amount, the Yugos were able to fight a very bloody war without) but much less in a civilian setting.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

true, true.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hey, u said it ,corrosive ammo and plus it stay humid in these hills. i thought maybe they would prep a barrel be for chroming, like opening the chamber a hair and cutting rifleing to takine care of crowding the bullet in the bore after chromeing.
    having something like that done, if possable would likely cost a $1000 on a existing barrel . you are not going to be able re gut rifleing with out some really sophisitcated equipment.
    you can have a PPS 43 made new for about $130,trust me I know I make them.

If you really want something that wont rust how about a stainless one??? I can do one and then it wont rust. BTW non chromed barrels are more accurate. You likely will not see a competive chrome lined barrel in benchrest compition, and those guys will do any thing regardless of cost for a edge.

I really dont know how corrosive ammo affects stainless steal but i will be finding out. the problem is even then I wont be lettting my barrel sit around with crap in it. I should make a muzzle break out of stainless and run some corosive through it and let it sit.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Stainless should really be called corrosion resistant. Even stainless steel can rust, though it takes harsher conditions, stronger oxidants, a longer time, or a combination.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.