Gunco Forums banner

What size rivets for a Sten Mk III?

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Terrier 
#1 ·
Also, it looks like some attach the tube to a solid piece of metal, that is, there is no head on the inside. Am I seeing these wrong? If not, what did they use?

I'm planning on making a solid receiver dummy gun for a buddy who re-enacts as a British paratrooper, and riveting into a blind hole would help some things.

Thx,
Terrier

#2 ·
On a MKII the outer tube is riveted to two "Bulkheads", one at the rear of the bbl and one at the muzzle. Think freeze plugs with a hole in the middle. Been many a Yaron since I seen one so no idea how they formed them but IIRC they were normal swaged head rivets.

If using a solid bar as a receiver, what you want are called "drive screws", essentially a rivet with a series of grooves and ribs down the shank, twisting a bit. Commonly used to hold nameplates and such on metal items, you drill an undersized hole and drive them in, the ribs cutting into the metal and the twist keeping them from backing out.

Drive Screws | Fastenal

#6 ·
The shank of the rivet is 1/8" (.125") and the length is 1/4", don't remember what the head diameter is but if you have a kit you should be able to get it from that.

#10 ·
Thanks! These look like it. They ought to work if pressed into a blind hole (a solid dummy aluminum receiver).

McMaster-Carr

I was playing around and was able to get nice looking dummy welds using five-minute epoxy. I think if I scour the surface right before applying it it will stick pretty well.

Terrier

[SIZE=+1]Rivet dimensions are:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+1]
  • Head shape: hemispherical
  • Head dia: .219"
  • shaft length: .250"
  • shaft nominal diameter: .125" (actual diameter is .121" plus or minus .001")[/SIZE]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.