Gunco Forums banner

Ppsh41 repair section.

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Viper Dude 
#1 ·
I was looking at these repair sections at stenparts and all they are relatively simple. You would think if a man could find some square tube with the corners rounded with the correct radius you could save some $. Anyone done this or heard of it?

#2 ·
Hello akfiend,
It is much simpler to form a strip of sheet steel around an old PPSH-41 bolt with handle removed to create the needed section. The spring back will provide clearance. A large vise, some clamps and a large hammer will do the job. The resulting channel is then trimmed as needed.

VD

#3 ·
ahh very clever. i dont have an extra bolt for the job but perhaps a bending jig could be made, ive been thinking that idea over as well. I thought the ppsh41 receivers were like .1 thick tho...not sure where i heard that but seems tough to bend.

#5 ·
What kind of tools do you have, mill?

I saw a thread somewhere. A guy used a mill and a heavy wall round tube, he milled three sides down to the right thickness then cut it for the rear part of the receiver. It looked good but it must have took a while to do.

I don't know if the bolt handle is removable, it is a seperate piece but I don't see how it's held in, must be pressed in.

#6 ·
I've seen at least three different thicknesses of PPSH-41 sheet steel up to .125 inch. The Hungarian receivers measure 3mm (.114 inch) thick.

The bolt handles are forged in place with a rivit like countersink on the flush side. They would be a real sunny bee to remove for re-installation. My mandrel was a broken bolt (handle).

A shaped 8 inch long mandrel with a contour like the bolt tail is your best bet. Use a hardwood block to help form the bends. Clamp the mandrel and sheet steel section in a 6 inch vise. Hammer the edges over to form the channel.

Happy Hammering,
VD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.