Gunco Forums banner

Hammer or striker ppsh?

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mr.scratches 
#1 ·
My polish ppsh41 parts kit arrived a few days ago. I still can't decide if I should use a hammer fired or striker fired system. Both require extensive modification to the bolt. Any pictures and advice would be appreciated.

#2 ·
My thoughts on most SMG conversions is go with a striker system. The bolt on some of these is marginal in weight, they work fine in open bolt config because they are slamming forward when the round goes off. In addition to the weight of the bolt, the forward inertia also has to be overcome. On most hammer fired systems the bolt is being reduced in weight with a slot for hammer clearance plus you no longer have the added resistance of that forward motion. A couple of the PPs 43 conversions done here in the USA have experienced blown cases with surplus ammo, and their makers recommend not to use surplus ammo because of the problem. Kinda defeats the purpose, I think, cheap milsurp ammo is one of the major reasons for owning one.

OTOH, a striker fired system keeps most of the bolt weight there, plus the weight of the striker is added to the bolt mass when fired, along with a bit of forward momentum from the striker slamming forward and the added spring force for the striker.

#4 ·
I would go with the Striker. I did one with a AK FCG with an Ar15 spring. PITA I would try to keep the orginal FCG and just mod it to be semi auto only. One problem after that is the saftey because the orginal design used the handle on the bolt.

The gun works fine, but there is just not much room making the conversion hard. I'm probably going to convert it to a striker.

#5 ·
That's what I'm thinking, just gonna be hard to make myself saw that beautiful bolt in half to make the striker. I've seen lots of strikers and was thinking why not do it the way semi uzi's a are done with the firing pin attached to the striker? I was thinking a mosin firing pin. It just seems to me that the bolt would lose stability being cut short and this would help.

#8 ·
Yeah I like the Uzi Design that way the striker spring doesn't have to be as heavy. I have been thinking of how it could be used for other guns.

Funny you said that about the bolt I coulddn't do it either, but there is enough room to have the striker and bolt. I'm going to get a new lower and make a striker for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.