Thread: Hybrid/Home design build 922r?

Feedback Score

Default Hybrid/Home design build 922r?

So Ive been looking at my spare parts pile, been checking out some sub-gun kits, surfing WG ALOT and I've been throwing around the idea of using some ugly conglomeration of parts to make a 9mm carbine.

Basically my question is does 922r apply to doing something like this if I am using a bunch of imported parts but not actually reconstructing an imported firearm? For example say maybe using a converted sten/suomi/kp etc bolt(maybe something homemade? not sure if Im that good yet lol), making my own receiver out of some square/round stock, 16" barrel, use an AR lower/FCG or an AK trigger group, maybe some modified AK furniture blah blah blah.

I dont have a solid idea yet but this is something I really want to do. Any insight on whether or not the imported parts would need to be counted?

Thanks in advance
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score

Since you aren't rebuilding a specific firearm (AK, HK, FAL, Whatever) from surplus parts you should be fine.
    HART SYSTEMS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY
    Pull up your pants, turn off that damn rap and speak clear English, if you want to talk to me.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Unless you are in Calif., we have a 'zip gun' law that has a broad definition of not allowing building a gun that is not an established or commercial design. It has not been tested in court regarding a semi-auto franken-home build that I am aware of, but some folks say it may happen someday idf some D.A. gets really anxious to make a case for the anti-gun cause.
    "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
    - Thomas Alva Edison
    |> Military training/history DVDs: www.loose-cannon.com/military
    Latest eBook: Build Your Own AK: Vol. II

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

No more than 10 "countable" imported parts can be used in it's construction.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62x39 View Post
    No more than 10 "countable" imported parts can be used in it's construction.
    Not if it is a design that hasn't been banned from import. 922(r) states:

"It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to--
    (1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
    (2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General. "

If you are making something that is NOT identical to a banned import, the law doesn't apply.

The actual "10 parts rule" that was written to implement this law says:

"(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes."

Unless ATF makes a determination that your domestically made rifle is banned from import, you are good to go.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thats the fun Gray area of the law that is a case by case classification for meeting the criteria of an "Assault weapon" There are and where guns on that list that had features removed (Changed) to not fall into that section. The MAC90 is a perfect example that changed to a thumb-hole stock and removed the bayonet lug to de-classify itself. If it is parts from a "922r" gun that are on the list, just keep the count down to 10.
    Pryotex is TEC Tactical, A Licensed 07/SOT

Feedback Score

Thanks a lot for the replies guys I really appreciate it.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.