Gunco Forums banner

What SMG kit is easiest to convert/build as semi auto?

21K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  kernelkrink 
#1 ·
I see all these SMG kit cheap right now, Sten, Suomi, Bereta, ect, ect. So which ones are easlly converted? Does anyone make SA kits for any of these? I know one place for SA Sten kit, but allways out of stock. Any advise on how to do this?

#2 ·
Yeah, this isn't the easiest possible thing you could ever attempt to do. But that's half the fun, right ? I have NO idea where to buy a semi-kit for any of the above mentioned weapons. If your findings are anything like mine have been, you're probably going to have to either have some machining done, or hack-job it together yourself to be semi-only.

#3 ·
My advise is to wait for the BSA III semi sten conversion kit. The SAS III is out there but there is a ton of tweaking that you will need to do to make if function correctly. There aren't any semi designs for the other kits that you mentioned........at least none that you can buy a conversion kit for. Right now most of our guys are working on Beretta 38a semi conversions. I'd say that they are some of the coolest guns I've ever seen. We have guys doing their builds in several different ways and they all seem to good ideas.

You can check the specific builds section of Weaponeer if you are interested.

#4 ·
An UZI. $20 for a semi receiver shell. Buy the weldup kit and weld it together, or buy the complete receiver as a finished item. Either have your FA bolt converted to semi or buy the semi one. Install a semi striker assembly. Modify the lower to semi specs. If you build up as a pistol, just leave the stock off and use the short bbl. As a carbine, you'll have to juggle your parts count and use a longer bbl or extend the short one. Easiest since there is already a factory version and you can use these parts. Not really cost effective unless you can do most of the work yourself, since Vector sells a semi Uzi for around $500-600.

Most other subgun kits will require at least some fabrication of parts. Unless you can do it yourself or have a friend with a machine shop.....

#6 ·
wildmann43 said:
MAC10 or M11/9. Parts are plentiful, mags are cheap, parts are already semi. Base gun parts sets are about $250(from me!).
Yes I wanted to do that, I contacted Etcetera of Ducktown TN about a parts kit, but could never find a complete receiver set, ie all sides, bottom grip, ect. I want one that takes Sten mags, as I bought a bunch of those when they were cheap. Anyone know were to get all the parts to build such a beast?

#8 ·
Wildman43, help me out here, were would I get the side plates & center section? Templat to make my own? Blue print? Easy to make? Besides that and the mag, you're telling me EVERYTHING needed is included, right? I want one, if I can find the other info/parts.
Closed bolt, right?

#9 ·
Templates & prints are free on the web. Yes, everything else. Threaded barrel too. Closed bolt semi parts, ready to go. The only unfinished parts are the rear sight, front tabs, magwell & trigger guard, these all are welded to complete the receiver.

I can't help too much, you might live someplace besides hell with restrictive state laws. I'm just making the parts available at a good price.

#10 ·
What do you mean, the mag well comes with it, right?
You don't even say whare you live, at least I filled in the blank on my membership! LOL!
Just kidding, I live where I can have just about anything, I just like to keep things off paper (A) incase of another ban, they (the government) won't know what I have, (B) I don't care for the local FFLs, they charge $50 for a transfer and don't like to order anything. Like if I went in looking for a MAC-11, they'd try to sell me a Lorcin .22 for $250, or something redicuios like that, so then I stumbled onto the 80% scene, never went back! LOL! Thanks for the help man.

#12 ·
I find individual parts, ie sides, centers, grips at different places from time to time, but it looks expensive to buy from 3 venders to build one frame.(IMO) I think I could cut and weld if I had a template or real simple clear blue print. This guy sells parts kits, he should know where a brotha could get the rest, right?
Let me know Wildman43, if you know.

#14 ·
I'm packing these sets with everything except what we'll call the flat. If a flat was readily available, I could include it, because that hasn't been ruled a "firearm" like possessing or selling all 3 pieces(2 sides & center) of a MAC.

sksparts.com was recently busted for selling a laser cut MAC flat.

I could copy or scan a flat but I don't know if the scale would still be relative & accurate to the original.

#15 ·
If someone sends me an email of the blueprints I can MAKE templates 1:1 scale...Go to your craft store buy a $4 can of 3M Photo Mount adhesive and away you go. Alternatively you can also use a regular glue stick w/my templates but they require about 2 hours to dry. Photo Mount is almost instant.....

Somone email me the blueprints of the sections that need to be procured and I will re-draw them in my CAD program. I will center mark all the holes w/ "X" marks so you can center punch and drill by hand. I will also include any fold-to lines or other information. I will not make a template for the SMG sides so dont ask. SEMI AUTO or nothing boyz... Lemme know if I can help out...

JPGLee1@netzero.com

send the pics in jpeg/PDF or some other pic format with legible info that I can read. Lines do not need to be straight, nor does scale matter, just need the dimensions for reference :) THANKS!!!!!

#16 ·
Shortrnd said:
My advise is to wait for the BSA III semi sten conversion kit. The SAS III is out there but there is a ton of tweaking that you will need to do to make if function correctly. There aren't any semi designs for the other kits that you mentioned........at least none that you can buy a conversion kit for. Right now most of our guys are working on Beretta 38a semi conversions. I'd say that they are some of the coolest guns I've ever seen. We have guys doing their builds in several different ways and they all seem to good ideas.

You can check the specific builds section of Weaponeer if you are interested.
don't hold your breath waiting for the BSA3 cause it ain't happening

#17 ·
OR you can say FU to the BSA3 nightmare and make up you own using one of these:

http://www.geocities.com/psarms/LinkedFiles/SAMk6CBSKit.jpg

Everything you need to make a semi auto sten in one easy package. BATF approved also (well thats my thinking....they DID allow the sale of the parts in the semi auto sterlings, using the same 1.375" ID tubing...) It could be made to look original too if you use some imagination. You would lose the push-push safety in favor of the rotating safety instead. You would basically use the original sten trigger with a push/pull rod (maybe on a bell crank?) to actuate the sterling FCG inside the sten FCG housing... Seems do-able to me. I personally would just build a semi auto sterling since it would be worth a whole lot more and be a much better rifle when done....

#18 ·
jpglee1 said:
OR you can say FU to the BSA3 nightmare and make up you own using one of these:

Everything you need to make a semi auto sten in one easy package. BATF approved also (well thats my thinking....they DID allow the sale of the parts in the semi auto sterlings, using the same 1.375" ID tubing...) It could be made to look original too if you use some imagination. You would lose the push-push safety in favor of the rotating safety instead. You would basically use the original sten trigger with a push/pull rod (maybe on a bell crank?) to actuate the sterling FCG inside the sten FCG housing... Seems do-able to me. I personally would just build a semi auto sterling since it would be worth a whole lot more and be a much better rifle when done....
that would work if the laws of the US didn't apply to you

#20 ·
Just want to throw a word of caution out to anybody reading this thread , You cannot make an openbolt gun , you cannot make a closed bolt gun that is readily convertable to an openbolt or full auto configuration. I ran into a guy at a WW2 event who had put togather a Sten kit , thought he was good to go since he had welded the selector over to say on semi-auto . He wasn't trying to be a crimminal , he just plain didn't know any better.

#21 ·
Im not sure why DON VITO said that my suggestion would only work for non US people??? The Sterling MK6 semi auto kit I listed

IS CLOSED BOLT people...look closer. It has a firing pin/striker that is INSIDE the bolt assembly. This is just like on a Glock pistol, the firing pin floats in the slide but has its own spring. When the bolt is blown back, instead of it being held back by the sear (open bolt) the bolt continues back forward as the striker is held back by the sear (closed bolt) When the bolt gets all the way forward you have the striker fully compressed inside the bolt itself. When you drop the sear/pull trigger the striker is released and it runs forward, ignites the next round and the process repeats. The bolt is ALWAYS closed upon firing....

The sterling MK6 FCG is also SEMI AUTO ONLY. It has NO provision for a sear trip for full auto. Accordingly it would be perfect for using w/a STEN to make a semi conversion. I proposed to hide the sterling FCG inside a STEN MK2/3 FCG housing (or sheetmetal cut to the same shape) and use a pull rod from the sterling trigger to the STEN trigger to keep the aesthetics as close to original as is practical. The only deviation would be the rotating safety. You could remove it and retain the original sten selector as a safety instead to block the STEN master trigger (since the original STEN sear/etc would be gone...)

You also gotta remember that the Sterling MK6 carbine was legally sold here until the 94 AWB. It is again legal. You could buy a $200 IMA sterling kit and the above bolt/FCG and buil a semi-auto Sterling for a reasonable price (much nicer carbine than a STEN, and can use STEN or Sterling magazines). OR use the parts in a STEN, as I suggested.... Good luck and stay safe :)

#23 ·
Well, all you gotta do is get this stuff:

and this:

http://uniquecanes.com/new/item_partsets_sterling.html

And this:

http://www.sksparts.com/sterlingl2a3.htm

And shake-em together ina big box...Wait long enough (bout a million years by my probability calcs) and they will magically arrange themselves into a semi-auto sterling...

Seriously tho, there is all the stuff you need to make a LEGAL semi-auto CLOSED BOLT sterling. Just like the legal MK-6 carbines that are out there. Making a Sterling pistol is just as easy. In fact, with a little work you can rotate the mag well 90* and have a pistol that actually has some decent ergonomics. That side mag stuff is screwed :)

GOOD LUCK :)

#26 ·
If you'll check with Wildman43 on this board, he'll set you up with everything you need for a Mac kit. Top quality stuff and it works right out of the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.