Gunco Forums banner

Preparedness Checklist

23K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  recon 
#1 ·
Checklist

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Good information! I do beleive that the Government wants us to be able to take care of ourselves. It's only good "Common Sense" to be able to take care of yourself, and dependants, and reduce vulnerability/dependency during times of hardship.

#9 ·
Instead of THREE DAYS, I would recommend at least a week! When Alicin hit this lower Texas East coast, power was off for 4 days. It took another two days to get healthy enough to clean it up.

If there was a major terrorist type of attack, that would upset the social order in the US for a couple of weeks. Which means you had better stay put at home and not get out into trouble with looters and other desperate individuals.

If you have a month's worth of stuff, you would be in real good shape for the most part. If something happens to a point where things stay messed up beyond a month, ALL BETS ARE OFF!

MUSIBIKE

#10 ·
Pick your storage location carefully!

I agree with MUSIBIKE!

More is better!

Also keep in mind a couple of numbskull realities like:

Store your emergency supplies so that you can recover them in the event that your home is leveled. I live in So. Kalifornia, and after the Northridge Quake, I could not get to my stuff because three stories of Condo were piled on top!

Pack your supplies in easy to load (as in "time to bugout") containers. Make certain that you pack your stuff so that you can visually identify the contents without having to open the containers, i.e. Food in Red, clothes in Blue, etc. That way, you can get the most critical stuff in a big hurry.

Make sure you have a spare tire for your designated bugout vehicle.

Guns and ammo need to be pre-sorted so that you can grab and go. If you have to leave anything behind, lock it up or bury it. Know what you are going to grab!!!! Have a plan!!!!!

WATER!!! WATER!!!! WATER!!!!!

God Bless!

Bells_on

#11 ·
The time to think about getting out may be right now. If a large assault force is already within a city, making a run for it may be pointless. Air patrols or armored vehicles would just take you out for practice.

I have been putting a bit of thought into this eminent possibility. Maybe some longer term planning and action is in order?

If the SHTF in a pronounced major way, NO trucks will be bringing food to local stores. The city water will be turned off. Electric power facilities will shed residential and most of the other loads off of the grid. No gas, electricity, food, water or, medicines.

The real time to make a move might be now instead of when the SHTF! Be in a position to do and provide for yourself. Unless the upset period is a month or less.

MUSIBIKE

#12 ·
Don't keep all your eggs in one basket if possible, Natural diasters are famious for the home fires that follow! Got Natural Gas? When I lived in Lancaster,Ca. I could spit on on fault line, My block actually had a agreement, if stuff started shaking, we would shut of the gas at the meters. Bug out bags per family member is a cool thing, Got to figure out if your a go person or stay person, Physical ability etc... What about Gas mask??? Before you die laughing, try holding your breath, and remember if in riot zones CS gas sucks! Dirty bombs, if you got to leave to get someone, not breathing Beta particles would help, their dirt cheap now. Ever try shooting your must have rifle in a mask. If the unfriendlys get some tear gas grenades, your holed up, and you let the scum get close enough to throw something in your nice plate glass window. Get ready to puke,cough,puke. Its the one thing I never see on any list, and its the first thing Israel, has for everybody, Whats up with that. Even a train derailment or chemical plant problem from miles away could really hurt, just nature and human stupidity can cause needs for a mask, and now we live in times where radation,chemical or Bio agents are available, and lots of reports of missing stockpiles from the old bear, who is waking up again and starting to feed. Ladies and Gentile men get a mask, if you don't need them, on your death bed, will them to some pot heads, they have fun with them. Water purification for on the road, communication, and rally points are good things to remember.

#13 ·
I picked up some gas masks a couple of moths ago with some spare filters. They will make a difference at least. It is stuff like this people never would believe they will ever need. But, when that time does come, ... :). It will be nice to be able to see where you are shooting not puking all over your weapon and bullets.

#14 ·
i think its a great common sense list, as was mentioned before (years ago!!)

this looks like a good plan for something that might actually happen. i like the facgt that it dosent include all the tin foil hat shit like gas masks and guns and ammo. if there is a real disaster, those people had better be in top shape to carry all that shit theyll never need. just curious, what caliber do you recommend for shooting a hurricane?? or a flood?? :lol:

and, if the need does arise, i know where my gas masks and g+a are ;)

#15 ·
If the National Guard or who ever comes through lobbing tear gas everywhere to control the people for the good of the Nation, it will be a Hell of a lot more comfortable to breath through one of these mask! At least till they stop deploying tear gas. If I never need one of these darn things that would be GREAT! I hope NEVER!

#21 ·
Musibike are those masks any good?
that lil disclaimer at the bottom (for novelty use only!) is kinda scary if you plan on using it for a real life scenario!

I feel you on the heat, I'm in the Houston area and it's heating up to a boil!

Like magazines, NOW is the time to get these for your personal use in the future. These are available, Cheap and, effective. A good gas mask will make all Of the difference in the times to come!

Centerfire Systems, Inc. - Your Home For Ammo, Firearms, Magazines, and Gun Accessories has the composite masks with filters and carry pouches.

#17 ·
I have seen twice here in my remote area ware the national guard was used , they denied acces to areas rite away. I have a funny feeling that travel will be very difficult if anything significant happens.
think how fast the skies were empty last time.
if something significant happens it is easy to see the roads forcable empty too.
never mind martial law, then ware are you going to go without being stopped?
let the guardsmen get hungry and they will be the ones looting your food just like the cops in the huricane. rite.
I think I will do my best to stay put!! if at all possable...

#18 ·
Several years ago here in Florida we had to handle a three week power outage on my street. Thankfully almost everyone on the road has a generator and a gas stove so none of us faired too badly. The worst part was the heat, I didnt spend the extra cash to buy a powerful enough generator to run the A/C. That was the event that got my husband and I on the road to getting more prepared. The generator was great but we definantly had to ration its usage, Somehow I had never thought of stocking up on the gasoline.

#25 ·
They're right everyone does need a gun. Instead of swiss army knives though try upgrading to a multi-tool leatherman and S.O.G. have some great designs and are very affordable i know my leatherman has gotten me out of one to many jams.

Forever with Christ,
Coltbic

#28 ·
Borrowed from another site.

The Rule Of Threes!

Below is a practical and common-sense approach to aquiring perparations for SHTF situations. Many of us need to learn and USE this principal to balance our preparedness supplies.

It is my opinion that a person should establish a base line of need for their ammunition stockpile. It is easy (and fun) to buy, buy, buy more ammo. However, once a standard amount is on hand, every extra round of ammunition is purchased with preparedness dollars that could be allocated to other valuable and expensive kits, sets, and outfits. We are preparedness folks, not ninjas -- we should plan our ammo the same way we plan our water. What do we need, why do we need it, and how much is enough? All the ammo in the world isn't going to feed your family. As I have done with all of my preps (and surely most of you here have as well), I apply the rule of three to everything, including ammunition.

1. How much Ammo do I need to live three seconds? The answer is one magazine -- no more, no less. If it ain't gettin' done with that in three seconds, it ain't gettin' done. I don't stock any more than that until I have all of the air, food, water, and shelter I need for three seconds. For myself AND my family.

2. How much ammo do I need to live three minutes? The answer is probably a couple of mags that could, at the worst case, in three minutes, allow me to remove myself from trouble. Maybe a hundred rounds for my rifle and a dozen for my pistol. I don't stock anymore than that until I have all the air, food, water, and shelter I need for three minutes. For myself AND my family.

3. How much ammo do I need to live three hours? I think the answer here is probably enough to outfit a standard basic load -- just enough loaded magazines that can be comfortably carried on the body. This means that I add another two hundred rounds to what I have already stockpiled for my rifle and a couple dozen for my pistol. I don't stock any more than that until I have all of the air, food, water, and shelter I need for three hours. For myself AND my family.

4. How much ammo do I need to live three days? I think the answer here is that I should plan on being able to refill my basic load at least once. We aren't combat soldiers, so we aren't looking for trouble -- we just need enough (at the three day mark) to top-off our spent magazines. Prudent preparation for unknown future calamity deems another couple hundred rounds for my rifle and another couple dozen rounds for my pistol to be appropriate. I don't stock any more than that until I have all of the air, food, water, and shelter I need for three days. For myself AND my family.

5. How much ammo do I need to live three weeks? Apply the same logic here as applied to the previous milestones with the emphasis on 'what do I need'? Again, since we aren't combat soldiers, we aren't fighting everyday for that period of time. It seems logical to assume that we may find ourselves in at least one more fight, so to prepare for such an event, stockpiling an additional basic load seems appropriate -- a couple hundred more rounds for my rifle and a couple dozen more rounds for my pistol. I don't stock any more than that until I have all of the air, food, water, and shelter I need for three weeks. For myself AND my family.

6. How much ammo do I need to live three months? Continuing in the same manner, after three months, there isn't likely to be continuous fighting. If there is, we are no longer preparedness folks, we are soldiers and different logistics issues come into play. For preparedness, stocking our own in advance in order to safely navigate ourselves and our families through unforeseen dramas and hardships, it would not be unwise to have a spare case of ammunition, over and above what has already been stockpiled for the previous milestones. At this stage, one should not only be stocking an additional thousand rounds for your rifle; but should be thinking at least about a spare rifle of the same caliber for back-up (please note, that I specifically waited until this milestone to bring in an additional rifle). It is fun to buy guns, but now is when they become necessary redundancy. I don't stock any more than that until I have all of the air, food, water, and shelter I need for three months. For myself AND my family.

7. How much ammo do I need to live for a year or more? This is the point at which, for me, the rule of threes ends and a homestead lifestyle takes its place. At this level of societal disruption, it is not realistic to stockpile enough ammunition to live for three years. It is realistic, at this point in the preparation plan, to stockpile the equipment, skills, and raw materials to make ammunition. Don't stock cartridges, stock thousands of bullets, casings, powder, and reloading equipment to allow yourself to survive an indefinite period. Stock spare parts for rifles that will not be readily available. Prepare at this unprecedented level to never be able to go to a 'gun store' again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.