Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How Self Suffecient are You?

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneC
    To me, be self sufficient means " getting off the grid"- producing everything that you use, by means of solar, wind, water, wood, bio, work and bartering. We're working on it. We figure when the electric company's buying power back from us, we're there.
    you're closer than me then.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

All over the Country, but my home's in Florida
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sniper69
    you're closer than me then.
    If you produce more electricity than you use they have to buy it back, but we have a garden (Florida has 3 growing seasons) and raise meat rabbits, worms under the cages and chickens and that's a complete ecocycle (rabbits eat leftover from garden[stalks, leaves, vines, etc], fertilize garden, produce bed for worms, chickens eat worms- we eat veggies from garden, eggs from chickens, chickens, rabbits and catch fish with worms. Nothing's wasted. Solar panels produce electricity, heat the water and recharge trhe cellphones. A windmill produces electricity, as does a waterwheel. We still have to get into bio fuel. Anybody heard of the Foxfire books?
    Freedom comes from those who fought for it.
    USMC, GoA Lifer, NRA, IDPA SO, Florida Cracker

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Anybody heard of the Foxfire books?
    Yep, I have a few of them (slowly working on getting the whole collection). Another good source of information for homesteading, gardening, etc is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/organi...dinggardening/ I don't post there a lot, but I do my fair share of reading and gleaning.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I'm in the reseach mode for the power. I fully understand the importance of getting off the grid. We will probly go solar here and windmill at the farm. Add to the fact that the main supplier in Maryland just increased the rates by 70%. That is not a typo. 70%. My electric bill is now going to be over $400 per month! That's almost as much as my payment on a 2500 LT Suburban! Hows that for incentive? The foxfire books are great. I have a couple. I don't remember which volumes, I need to dig them back out. GeneC, sounds like your doing it right.

Feedback Score

Thanks, I'd rather be trying to do something than doing nothng.

Yeah, setup for power is a big initial investment, but pays for itself in the long run-
    solar panels/cells-$4000
    Wind generator-$6000
    water generator-$2000
    modified junction box-$1000
    telling the power company where to send the check-priceless!

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Thanks, That's on the must have list for the go bag. I have an interesting story that some may benefit from. My dad, always trying to be the system beater, learned that the gov. will actually help farmers set up a windmill powersource. Well in his case (retired federal employee) he got this info and tried to run with it. He learned that there were grants that would cover half the expense. At the time there were 3 being offered. The problem was that the branch office is in Baltomore city. So the all 3 went to the department heads' friends. We will call him Tyrone. Any way by the time it looked like it was going to happen tyrone stopped returning dads phonecalls. So he calls the next one up the chain of command. We'll call him Rastis. Notice a trend yet? Rastis tells him that there ain't none left, you on your own. But for anyone running a small farm that doesn't show profit, it may be worth a shot. Might save you $15,000.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Another expensive initial investment, but as you say, priceless. http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago101.html

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Here is a solar battery charger that i have. I bought it before Y2K. The company I bought it from is no longer in business - but there are/were about 50 of these units that were given to another guy to sell on ebay. I haven't seen any listed - but from what I hear they pop up from time to time. Also there are other solar battery chargers listed on ebay as well. The number on the instructions is obviously a no go, as the company is no longer in business. the instructions look ratty - but I have had this stored for around 7 years.

Also it will charge alkaline batteries.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Hey Sniper, ol GeneC has us BOTH digging through the y2k stash. Wanna buy some canned hams? hahaha I guess there still good.? I haven't run across one of those widemouth canteens yet but if I do, I'll grab it for you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.