Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How Self Suffecient are You?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

i also have an ivers Johnson cycles and Arms "sealed 8" .22 revolver that barely fires on all cylinders and was made in the 40's(has seen better days)
    I will keep this and some .22 ammo around if things are really bad. to trade with...now you may be saying "are you crazy?!, why give somebody else a gun?!?"
    first, if things are bad enough, i'll trade it in a heartbeat for necessities. secondly, and most inportantly, I ALWAYS have another working gun close to me.(especially at the bargaining table)
    -fix the revolver so that it does not fire
    -use the revolver as a blue chip in trading(last resort)
    -make sure that the other party doesnt try to crawfish the deal
    -offer to trade him parts for the revolver so that he can actually use it.(leverage)
    -walk away without geting shot in the back with your own revolver
    same thing with any weapon-dont hesitate to trade it for water or meds as a last resort, just take the firing pins out.
    make sense? i hope so because firearms and ammo should fetch a premium price if the shtf and we are in it for the longhaul.
    nowthat I reload, I will also make some dummy rounds(duds that look real)-make them so that they do not work and dip the bullet nose in blue paint so that i dont confuse it with live ammo. same for 12 ga ammo.
    burning bridges is better than getting shot in the back.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Through the first month, try and just stay put. If you are gone someplace and an EMP knocks out the car, you will have to walk. One hard thing will be getting back home if the IRANIANS use an EMP in space. I will have a twelve mile walk. Lucky, my wife only has to walk 1 mile from work. That will take me four to five hours to make it home. Cars won't start after an EMP event. Gotta just leave them for the scavengers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Bicycles come in handy there, also riding mowers and go karts. Anything with a NON ELECTRIC starter.Heck, even classic or vintage muscle cars'll work(they didnt have alternators they had Generators). All electronics will be reduce to non-functional JUNK after an EMP blast. The EMP effect can linger for days, depending on how high of an altitude the device was detonated-primarily evident in radio transmissions

Nuclear Weapon EMP Effects

My worries are not with a single device, but with MANY devices! EMP is the last thing that you should be worrying about.LOL
    Get yourself some potassium Iodine.(anti-radiation meds) Keeps harmful isotopes from building up in the liver, preventing rad sickenss.
    I found a bottle or two at the milsurp store a year ago(expensive tho).It DOES have an expiration date, though.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Potassium iodide prevents various radioactive Iodine isotopes from accumulating in the thyroid. The thyroid gland is the only body tissue that takes up Iodine, and accumulations of radioactive Iodine after a nuclear event can destroy the thyroid. If the thyroid is destroyed, you become hypothyroid and have to take thyroid supplements for the rest of your life.

The normal thyroid gland is stimulated by thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) to produce T3 and T4, both of which set the basic metabolic rate for the body. Without the T3 and T4 you end up lethargic, gain weight, and severely depressed.

That's the medical reason for use of KI after a nuclear event. It won't help the liver, sorry. And it won't help prevent radiation sickness. The extent of any radiation sickness you experience is directly related to the external and internal doses of radioactive isotopes you receive.

After a nuclear event, keep your body and clothing clean (washing off fallout), drink plenty of uncontaminated water (internal flushing), breath through a micron filter, and make sure foods are cleaned thoroughly with uncontaminated water.

That's the best you can do, there are no simple preventative medical treatments other than for the thyroid.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks> I think that I may have read that once the LIVER is irradiated, you're screwed.
    But the Thyroid is right on the money.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Here's an NRC link regarding KI: NRC: Use of Potassium Iodide

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

The liver is the single major organ that can regenerate itself. While metastasis in the liver (secondary cancer) is very bad, primary cancer of the liver is fairly rare. Unless a focused, local radiation dose is received by the liver, if you get enough exposure to damage the liver you have received far worse damage to your intestinal tract, your bone marrow, and/or brain.

WRT radiation, the liver is only minimally affected in comparison to other body tissues/organs.

Steve (soon to be a Certified Nuclear Medicine Tech, one more semester of study and then 7 months "internship") Johnson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Cool, I was wondering how you could possibly know so much about this subject. LOL. now I know.
    Thanks for the link

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Steve,

Letter from Leuren Moret to Congressman McDermott with Declassified memo to Gen. L.R. Groves 1943 – a blueprint for DU  21feb03

take a look at this letter. Is there anytype of OTC breating mask that can filter partu=iculate matter smaller than .01microns?
    The gist of this letter says that even HEPA filters wont clean enough enough of a volume of air for you to be safe from radiation entering through respiration?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

upgrayedd,

from that link, "There is no possible protection from exposure to very fine particles of depleted uranium through filtering of air."

Same goes for sub-micron isotopes created by a nuclear event. While this is bad news, the short and long-term effects of radiation have been studied (Nagasaki and Hiroshima) and are being studied (Chernobyl). While increased rates of leukemia and thyroid cancers are guaranteed, the actual number of people who survive the initial radiation sickness who actually GET some form of radiation-induced illness is very small, indeed. I don't have actual figures right now, but if 1 in 10,000 people get leukemia in "normal" conditions and a nuclear event causes a 1000% increase, that means that 10 in 10,000 get it. The odds aren't all that bad.

We were created (or have evolved) to withstand radiation. It's all around us, we bathe in it daily. Our bodies are remarkably tough and self-repairing when exposed to chemicals and/or radiation.

Keep your body and clothing clean, clean your food, wash everything you can to flush the major portions of fallout away from you. That's your biggest dose potential. Survive the initial radiation sickness and everything else becomes easy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.