Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How Self Suffecient are You?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default How Self Suffecient are You?

I'd like to think that I have most of the basics covered, but realize that true "Self Suffiency" is nearly impossible. Why is that? Well, there would be so many different situations to prepare for that it would take a fortune, and all available spare time to put it together. I feel that at a minimum, most Persons/Families should stock necessities for 30 days-3 Months. That's my plan, and I would be trying to hold down the Homestead. Self Sufficiency would largely depend on the educated mind, and a willingness to live. What do you think?
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

if you were to log all the commodities, fuel,food, and misc. items you utilize from the outside world over a 2 to 3 month period you would get a real wake up call. 'self suffiency' defined at the "Grizzley Adams" level is impossible for anyone existing in a modern society . 'survival' is another topic. before anyone starts stocking ammo and MRE's i think the mind needs to be placed in the appropriate gear. it's not a game. when you factor in the needs of others in your life the task takes on a new personality. how often we fail to recognize the needs of other people because someone else is in charge of that aspect of their life. my wife and i would be fine, but the fact that my Mom lives one house away, alone, and my Father in law, poor health, lives in the apt in my house, gives an entirely different meaning to " being prepared". animals are another aspect. over the years i've changed my priorities on the subject and now hold mobility in the top tier of my needs. i could move 10 miles in any direction and the whole picture would change.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I agree, self sufficiency is nearly impossible if the norms of lifestyle are to be maintained. We are a consumer based society, and we take a lot of support to keep us going. I'm thinking that maybe the closest comparison would be the Mennonites, and their way of taking care of themselves. I beleive that I could become a good "Hermit", but if I drag the Wife & Kids along, that might not work so well. Living in a rural area, I have learned to do many things for myself because of the inconvenience of "Running in to Town" just to get the tire fixed, have the oil changed, get the mower fixed, etc.. I do know that "generally speaking", we are much less self sufficient than people were a few generations back.
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

have to agree with you , freebore. hardly anyone i know is prepared. to busy just trying to get by thesedays.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy
    have to agree with you , freebore. hardly anyone i know is prepared. to busy just trying to get by thesedays.
    Yep, it's a constant struggle. I suppose the best thing to do is maintain some degree of preparedness, keep your awareness level at a moderate level, and deal with any of life's complications the best way that you know how.
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Feedback Score

Not enough

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

It is important to learn to be as self sufficient as we can. Teaching the wife and kids is a nessesity. In times of crisis your family and friends of like mind are assets not hinderences. I often look at it from a perpspective of their comfort level and not my own. As head of household I feel it is my obligation to provide for them. And Flopshot is 100% right about mobility. Hard lesson: Spread your supplies out to different areas because in a natural disaster you may have to leave your home. All the stockpiling in the world won't help you if you have to leave it behind, as we did during huricane Isabel. We held out until the dog could swim off the deck. However we had a plan, a place to go ,and supplies at that location.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I currently have six months worth of food and water, and intend to cache more elsewhere. I made it a point to taste all of it before buying more to avoid all the crappy tasting foods. Also a good supply of personal items(toilet paper, soap) is a must. Don't forget to get extra for trading. I also went through some serious survival training. A couple years ago I set a plan in case I have to leave the area. I have several ways out in case Highways or Freeways are blocked. I also have a totally rural dirt road/back road/cow trail escape route just in case. Don't let anyone laugh at you. You're better safe than sorry.
    In one recent 10-year period alone, over 200 military incursions were conducted by the Mexican army into the U.S. border states of Arizona, California, and Texas.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Spent some time after work today re-working the first aid/ medical survival packs today. Don't forget about the possibility of major injurys, guardia, and burns.

All over the Country, but my home's in Florida
    Feedback Score

To me, be self sufficient means " getting off the grid"- producing everything that you use, by means of solar, wind, water, wood, bio, work and bartering. We're working on it. We figure when the electric company's buying power back from us, we're there.
    Freedom comes from those who fought for it.
    USMC, GoA Lifer, NRA, IDPA SO, Florida Cracker

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.