Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: "Paranoid", or "Paying Attention"?

Feedback Score

how do you guys handle the moving of home storage?
    I don't plan on moving unless I have to, but the "distributed" storage (stuff tucked in every nook and cranny of my house) would make it impossible to move it all in a hurry. I've prepared for a 3-8 day evac, but on the premise of being able to return home for longer scenarios.

Des

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well SAID, Freebore!
    I completely agree with this statement. We, as a culture have become so enamoured and dependant on our technology, that if the powergrid went down for a week or two, or basic services were halted for more than a day or so, amny would panic and riot.
    Look at how nuts people got last summer when there was tak of fuel rationing on the east cost(which was only a rumor) in the wake of the Hurricans hitting the refineries. people were robbing and stealing fuel and lines at the pumps were NUTS. thats just over GASOLINE!

I will not get caught with my "pants down."
    Katrina was a wake up call for me and many others(provided that the government doesn't try to take MY guns away"
    OFF SUBJECT..sorry

I also keep some water purification tablets, waterproof matches, thermal blankets, flares and flint and magnesium in a waterproof ammo box for emergency.
    Our home is fueled my natural gas and I always keep 4 full propane tanks for the grill.
    Bottled water is constantly stocked and rotated.
    i don't understand WHY a person, especially with a family, would not prepare themselves for an emergency situation?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I go along with who says, "the person who sits in their shelter waiting for it to happen as being PARANOID". However, you don't want to outlive your money, ammo, food and, power resources. And, it is a fact that ones who are not preparing will come looking for what you have stashed away when their supply runs out. Use common sense making up your stores and then defending it if you have to when that time does eventually come about. Keep your wits about you and a LOADED well working weapon ready.

pmb
    Feedback Score

I don't see how people cannot see that they need to be prepared. I keep driving by all these billboards from the gov't regarding their ready.gov website and contingency plans for small businesses and where is your family if something happens and previous presidents on TV advocating for prepardness. Kinda hard to claim paranoia with all that, IMO.

Only real thing I'm concerned about is the difference in values between today's society compared to that of society's during the depression. While I understand crime went up during that time, I don't see the same restraint in today's "entitlement" society.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

people wonder why after i retired i moved back to the family farm. in my years of military service we had a plan for every thing.

the farm is a model of sorts--if all else fails we can feed ourselves. my farm can work with very little diesel. even with no diesel fuel--- i can plow with the mules--although this will certainly reduce my crops.

i have a bug-out plan though a M-fuel 6x6 truck just in case there is fall-out. if there is an extreme enough disaster though--no amount of prep can suffice. it is better to be prepared even if your OBE you still have a fighting chance.
    Last edited by j427x; 05-28-2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

what iS reality anymore//?? I ASK YOU..THOSE WHO mock the prepared ones, will suffer the greatest insult.
    we live in times when natural disasters(of large magnitutde)happen on a global scale several times a year, american jobs are being outsourced to 3rd world countries and gas is at $4.00/gallon ans american cars are made in canada and mexico while japanese cars are made right here?!?!?!?! lets not forget that terrorist assholes fly hijacked commercial airlines into skyscrapers .
    next time someone makes fun of you, ask them how prepared THEY are for the next hurricane, earthquake, tsunami, roit or terrorist attack?!

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    what iS reality anymore//?? I ASK YOU..THOSE WHO mock the prepared ones, will suffer the greatest insult.
    we live in times when natural disasters(of large magnitutde)happen on a global scale several times a year, american jobs are being outsourced to 3rd world countries and gas is at $4.00/gallon ans american cars are made in canada and mexico while japanese cars are made right here?!?!?!?! lets not forget that terrorist assholes fly hijacked commercial airlines into skyscrapers .
    next time someone makes fun of you, ask them how prepared THEY are for the next hurricane, earthquake, tsunami, roit or terrorist attack?!
    The problem is that people aren't prepared. If they were or even attempted to be, it would make things easier on them. It is better to have something than nothing.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I tend to believe that of what I understand that the mormons espouse, to keep a years worth of stocks on hand at all times. They above all else probably have more basis in fact for doing so , but it behooves Americans to decide their own fate in advance of a catastrophe, whether natural or man made. I know that for some it is easier than for others to keep a years worth of stocks on hand , but in my opinion a person should have at least a safety margin in case of a disaster. I know that I worked most of my working career in the energy sector , and have seen many people when a major storm hit that were without heat, food or water , for even short periods at a time. I know that after watching other people suffer, that I keep about a weeks worth of fire wood on hand and kerosene too. I also keep food on hand that can be heated up by the BBQ grill in the case of an extended power outage , and the loss of the ability to get to town (long ways to town in the case of an emergency).
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Feedback Score

You can only be prepared to the degree that you can afford.

Even so, such preparations are only of a temporary nature with a finite supply.

Once you run out of stuff, you're done.

Everyone should have some food, portable shelter and water or means to purify water set aside that will allow you to survive without outside aid for a few weeks or months.
    Above all, it is WATER that you need. Americans take this for granted but should the municipal water treatment plants go down this place is no different than any third world shithole where the water can kill you.

Anything more is just pathological. You cannot set yourself up to survive TEOTWAWKI.

I want to re-emphasize this water thing. It is the water that is heavy and bulky and difficult to transport. It is your water supply that will fix you to your current location as long as your home is still standing. In a natural disaster you can replace your home. If it is TEOTWAWKI and you lose your home you are a refugee.
    Welcome to the 21st century, things are going to be very different.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

One thing to remember about water is some places just don't have enough water, it is too deep to get to without modern technology, or the upper water table is contaminated. If you live in one of those places, you may want to think about moving to some place that has easier water access. Before I moved to Texas, I helped a friend replace the pump in his well near Phoenix. We pulled 200 feet for dry pipe before we hit the wet stuff. So we got out his well bucket that he bought in case of a SHTF sitiuation. It was negatively boyant and held about a gallon of water. Lowering that thing into the well and pulling it back up 200 feet positively sucked. In the 21 years that I lived their, the worst year for rain at my house was just over 4" for the year. The best was 14". Not real survivable so I decided to move and get closer to the areas I would flee to if a refugee. I also started moving excess gear to my fallback locations. Moving taught me that I have too much stuff to take everything that I will want with me so any duplicate stuff is going to get stored at the end point.

Having talked with people who have been refugees, most said the the ones that stayed behind and were killed or brutalized were not willing to leave their stuff behind. The ones who took stuff that was not related to surviving ended up dumping most of it in the ditches and suffered more than those who only took what was needed.

-Yarro

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.