Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: "Paranoid", or "Paying Attention"?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default "Paranoid", or "Paying Attention"?

I'll get right to the controversy, and the "Stigma" that seems to be attached to the subjects related to Survivalism, Preparedness, Self Sufficiency, Primitive Skills, Etc.. To many of us, this is a topic of "Just in Case", or "Pray for the best, but prepare for the worst". For others it is a bit of a "Fantasy Scenario". I see no real harm in making this a bit of a "Just in Case" game. I am sure that many examples can be provided where People were not prepared, or able to care for themselves, and they suffered unessesarily, or became a burden for others. Recent, and past events will show that we have vulnerabilities, and the dependencies generated by the marvels of "Modern Living" could leave us disadvantaged at some future time. Take a "Real" look around. How would you fare if the power grid went down for a few days, or the economy declines and you're faced with making sacrifices just to "Make ends Meet". Let's have some fun with this new Sub Forum, and take a look at some of the issues that are facing us today, or might be a problem tomorrow. OBTW, maybe we might need an added "Tinfoil Smiley" to cover those special occasions.
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'm in. I'm a "just-in-case'r".

And not all of the survivalist topic has to be end-of-days war-type stuff. Alaska is in an active earthquake zone and we're overdue for a big one since the 1964 Good Friday earthquake. You never get warning of that kind of stuff, so.... we stay prepared.
    Retired US Navy
    NRA Life Member -- NAHC Life Member
    "Take, sink, burn, or destroy the enemy fleet": Lord St.Vincent's orders to Nelson off Toulon, 21 May 1798
    Pretty much spells it out, huh?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

"Be Prepared", That's the Boy Scouts Motto. I used to be one, or maybe I'm still one!
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Once a BoyScout, always a BoyScout !!!
    Retired US Navy
    NRA Life Member -- NAHC Life Member
    "Take, sink, burn, or destroy the enemy fleet": Lord St.Vincent's orders to Nelson off Toulon, 21 May 1798
    Pretty much spells it out, huh?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Did anyone catch the special on the volcano in Yellowstone? The amount of destruction across the entire country would be unbelievable..

Feedback Score

I am new to this sight and reading different forums,I agree we all must be prepared to take care of ourselves if needed,after living in california for over 25 years, my wife and family would ask what have you got now and my answer was just in case. Then a few years ago when we had a 7.0 she said now I get it. I no longer live in california and I sleep much better,but I am still prepared for what if.Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents worth in.

robertw

Feedback Score

Power going out, job lost,money running low, no supplies to be had at the local level, no basic services for short periods?
    I live in south Louisiana; sounds like hurricane season to me.

Yes, I feel that I am prepared to either bug out, or stay without basic services for days/weeks. Both of which I have done in the past.
    Myself and my family are also able to defend ourselves as everyone in my home has a good bit of firearms experience.
    All supplies are stored where they are easily accessed, and I have a good handle on my inventory of supplies. Generator, power converters, propane stoves, lanterns, flashlights, tents, tarps, backpacks, and many other items are on hand for any emergency.
    Whether the threat is harsh weather system approaching, or even (should I say) man made; I believe I am perpared for just about anything.
    Could be that I'm fooling myself, but I don't think I am.
    A site for gun enthusiasts and the shooting sports.
    www.proshooter.org
    Further bringing our pro-gun community together.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'd say the main difference between being prepared, and being paranoid is this; Being prepared is having the equipment you need to survive, possibly including a shelter, radiation pills, food, medical, and so on.. Being paranoid is sitting in your shelter surrounded by the stuff, thinking its gonna happen any minute now..

In all seriousness though, paranoia is taking what could be perfectly justifiable preparations and then adding an unrealistic and unreasonable element to it. Its being overly cautious or afraid without iminence of danger, but just the idea of it.

Most folks who would look at your reasonable preparation (if they are privy to it) and say you are paranoid, are gonna be the ones sitting on top of their house waiting for the gummint to come save them. Thats if they are lucky enough to live to do that.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, because I am the baddest motherfu$@er in the goddamn valley.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

i'm VERY aware of what happends around me. In my life i've even been tailed twice.. it was dumb bs for talking thinking the 1st amendment would protect me and I could say thing about guns I wanted to. I knew better than to do any of the things I was talking about. But yes being followed by a black suburban with G2 plates is no fun. I'm very sad these days that this is the type of country I grew up loving. I love our country and hate our government now adays and I'm not scared to say it. Sometimes people that drive those G2 suburban's need to fucking chill and just let people talk about information. It doesn't mean we are going to do anything wrong you guys damn... i felt like a terrorist..
    If any punk kid ever comes up to you asking for your `Gang Sign` Tap your chest twice then your forehead once. After doing that only upon a threat do you draw your glock and show him what you meant.

WOLVERINES!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl
    Did anyone catch the special on the volcano in Yellowstone? The amount of destruction across the entire country would be unbelievable..
    Yes, I saw that one. It would be a big mess if/when that one goes again. I don't think that too many of us would be around long enough to worry about survival issues, at least not in my area. I also saw a Docu-Drama based on that event, it was interesting.
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.