Gunco Forums banner

Primitive Skill Interests?

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Freebore 
#1 ·
How many have interests in Primitive Skills/Crafting? I haven't been actively involved for a while, but have made some Bow/Arrow sets that turned out nice. I have done some Blacksmithing projects, and like the Buckskinning scene. Lot's of things fall into this area of interest, and I have left out many other related projects, and attempts at doing things the "Old Way".

#2 ·
Not so much anymore, but when I was young I did that stuff alot. I've chipped my own arrowheads out of flint and onyx with animal bone and granite. Streched and tanned hides, animal traps from wood and twine. Hell, one time I tried to make root-beer out of sassafrass roots:barf: . I've gotten lazy in my age.

#3 ·
tony said:
Not so much anymore, but when I was young I did that stuff alot. I've chipped my own arrowheads out of flint and onyx with animal bone and granite. Streched and tanned hides, animal traps from wood and twine. Hell, one time I tried to make root-beer out of sassafrass roots:barf: . I've gotten lazy in my age.
Yep, that's my story too! I'm still interested in those things, but I don't have as much drive anymore. I think that it's got something to do with my age,(mid forties) and ever demanding Job, and Family activities. Plus I have so many different hobbies, it's impossible to cover them all! So I take it that the Sassafrass Root Beer didn't turn out too good?:brows:

#5 ·
Well nothing quite that primitive, though I do know to build a fire using flint and steel. Taught my nephew how last summer while camping, everything from what to gather for tinder to how to turn that ember into a flame.

I do have some experience blacksmithing, and would love to have a coal fired forge. I've a 5 gallon bucket full of worn out files I'm saving to forge knives out of once I have the setup to do it.

#6 ·
does an ak made with a pin punch count?

#7 ·
Has anyone seen how they build firearms in Darra, Afghanistan? They use some primitive techniques that make some of my equipment look high tech. I have done the "Flint & Steel" thing to build a fire many times. It's really an effective way to start a fire provided that char-cloth, and dry tinder is used. I always liked using those field mice nests that can be found under the seats of most old junked vehicles. Set that char cloth in the middle of that fuzz ball, and a couple of strikes with the steel almost always guaranteed a good start to getting a fire going.

#8 ·
I've seen footage of the market in Darra. It reminds me a lot of the time we had to pack up the gunshop after my grandfather had passed away. My uncle was drooling over the prospect of getting ahold of my grantfather's tools, when the reality was it amounted to not much more than what you'd find in a shop in Darra. I have immense respect for the skills of the average gunsmith there, they've spent their whole lives learning the trade and what they can accomplish with what they have is amazing.

#9 ·
The American Long Rifle Association is a really great bunch of guys to get with if you're truly interested in getting down to the basics . We go out , it's 1750 . period. nothing modern , none of the time . Be prepared to spend a year or two in limbo land doing State Park / Fort events before you start getting invited to the private events with the hard-core . It's well worth the time and energy invested . And in true A.L.R.A. fashion , do your own research , if it's not a primary document , it's not acceptable :)

BTW , the pic's at Ft Maurepas , by Biloxi Ms . About 6 yr's ago . and yes , I can find a girl anywhere ;)

Attachments

#10 ·
I think that there is an interest in all of us" tender foots" to be able to get back to the land so to speak. I was wondering if any of you had used a fire piston to start a fire....... http://www.onagocag.com/piston.html this thing is based on a cool primative fire starter that uses compression as a means of starting a fire. Sorta like a hand held deisel engine...... its a cool thing to

#11 ·
It is always good to learn primitive skills. One never knows when these skills might be needed.

#12 ·
sniper69 said:
It is always good to learn primitive skills. One never knows when these skills might be needed.
To true . Hike in the hill's of Colorado last spring , got caught by a very bad storm . A b.i.y. shelter and the old school techniques came in damn handy for keeping everyone dry and warm . well , maybe not warm , but we all lived through it lol

#13 ·
I have been experimenting with fire starting skills lately.

I am about a quarter of the way through production on a video about it. It has been really fun.

My favorite so far is the old technique I learned from a military buddy.

Cotton Balls and Petrolium Jelly Tinder. A tiny spark and it roars to life. Burns good and long if your are not shy with the Petrolium Jelly.

Primitaive skills are something I have been very interested in since an early age. Too bad it took growing up and having to track down the knowledge all by myself.

I have been passing the knowledge on to my kids. Because knowing is not nearly as important as sharing.

#14 ·
Lt762x39 said:
I think that there is an interest in all of us" tender foots" to be able to get back to the land so to speak. I was wondering if any of you had used a fire piston to start a fire....... http://www.onagocag.com/piston.html this thing is based on a cool primative fire starter that uses compression as a means of starting a fire. Sorta like a hand held deisel engine...... its a cool thing to
Wow!

This is very interesting. I may have to try this for my Fire Starting Video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.