Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Food storage/Shelf life

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Food storage/Shelf life

I've always beleived in keeping a bit of stored foods for preparedness, and just in case there's not a safe way to go and buy more. It didn't take Y2K scares to look towards storing back some food. I generally rotate stock, and use/replace the older stuff, before it's obviously outdated. I do have some MRE's that are 10 plus years old that I'm tempted to open, and check the condition. I don't really trust outdated MRE's, and certainly dont want get food poisoning. What's the general rule besides a lab test? Are they Ok if they don't show signs of leakage, or package expansion? I can remember eating a "K" ration in Air Force BMT, and it was about 30 years old! I still remember that it was a Spaghetti with Meatball ration, and the meatball seemed more like a cold grease ball, than meat. Standard canned goods are another subject, and I've seen basic shelf life expectations posted on several websites. If I remember right, corned beef would last for a very long time, maybe forever?
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Spam! As long as the can isn't compromised it should last forever!

FWIW, I have opened and eaten small quantities of "expired" MRE's (mid 80's vintage) as late as last year with no ill effects. Some of the stuff was a little stale but edible. Temp has a great effect on storage life, colder is better. In theory at least, an MRE in the fridge should last 30 years or more, in your car trunk with 95 degree summer heat, a month or three. As long as the pouch is intact, no swelling from gas, and no bad smells/tastes (beyond the "normal" mre tastes!) it should be safe to eat. My Marine friend says the C-rats he was fed in Vietnam were 1940's WWII surplus stuff. Other than the cigarettes falling apart they were in good shape. Yes, the dreaded Ham and Lima beans were still disposed of by means other than eating!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Canned food like veggies are good for on average 2 years from date of canning. Spam is good forever as longs as its pink and smells good. Tuna is good for 6 years from date of canning. Be sure to write the canning company for tips on reading the date the food was canned

Over the rainbow. Strange Destiny's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Most companies print a best buy date on the bottom of cans. Its small printing but,the majority do have it.
    Buy food and rotate the cans in and out of your supplies.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

you can always go with dried canned foods, last 30+ years.

http://saratogatradingcompany.com/mo...e_entrees.html
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for adding the link, robdog. I added it to my Favorites list. The prices are kinda' high, but for a years worth it's probably a lot cheaper then drive thru fast foods. With veggies, and shelf life is there better longevity with dried/dehydrated products vs. canned? Maybe the best option would be non hybrid seeds, and planting a garden. At least there would be long term propogation.
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Feedback Score

Hey I am new here but there is a site where this guy has tried everything regarding storing food and preparing for a disaster.

http://www.endtimesreport.com/index.html

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

What about like , oatmeal , grit's , rice ? stuff like that ? I buy it big , but I go through it too . I don't think I've ever kept any on the shelf more 6-9 months before it got moved to the front and cooked up . Any experiance with keeping it long term ? {aside from "keep it dry" }
    Will Hayden, RedJacket Firearms
    www.Redstick-Firearms.com

Feedback Score

My dad had a neighbor who had rice in 5 gallons buckets for over 10 years and it was ok. She also had wheat and beans but they were bad. The web site I mentioned that gut puts his stuff in buckets and then sets them in the freezer for a few hours. He says the cold kills anything that was packaged with the rice, oatmeal etc... He has some really good tips on stuff I had never thought of.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I have canned deer meat 4-6 years old i eat. i have seen canned vegetables 10-15 years old i would have eaten. you can can anything, even bread.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.