Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fuel/Energy alternatives.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Fuel/Energy alternatives.

What do the odds look like? Are we really prepared for the near future? Oil markets are very competitive, and we are starting to realize that "We" are not the only persons inhabiting this world. I think that we're behind the curve, and there will be some big problems. What is your plan for alternatives to fuel costs, or shortages? I'd like to think that I'll add a wood stove to back up my propane furnace, but I'm a bit lazy so I'll just keep some supplies set back for the "Worst of Times", and bide my time. I have been checking into the corn burning stoves, and they seem to be an option. Automobiles, and commuting is another matter, and I've seen some research demo's on HHO, Hydrogen fuel production testing that looks promising. Home heating, electricity, commuting costs, what's your plan?
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I am not set up for it, but if I were getting into long-term fuel shortage, I'd look at running a generator on wood gas. Lots of literature on it - some printed by the government during WW2 - and relatively easy to build. A generator like that and an electric vehicle for commuting would pretty much satisfy my requirements.

Alternatively, using either veg oil or biodiesel in a diesel engine and generator would make a lot of sense. Lot of web sites and info on home-brew biodiesel - if you have a supply of waste veg oil.

If I were in charge of energy policy, I'd make a serious effort to spin up biodiesel. Also, I'd get a serious look at the 'waste organic matter into oil' cooking technology that's supposed to be so great. Either it's great and should be spun up to get oil, or it should be exposed as a fraud. If it's real, then look at the way the government 'requisitioned' all patents during WW2 and get talking to the company on this one.
    Q - What is Bambi?

A - Viable Target

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Wood gas? That's something new to me! Obviously it's not new, or there wouldn't have been support for it 60 yrs. ago. That's just something old/new that I'll probably want to check into. See, isn't this fun!?
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Lurking Troll Camper UrbanCountryBumpkin's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Yugoslovians can do other things besides make AKs, like run their Yugos off of wood! http://freeweb.deltha.hu/zastava.in.hu/wood-gas.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

well if you like the smell of french fries.... you can go the bio diesel way for your vehicle already fro about 1200 dollars. but you got ot have a supply of grease from the local restaraunts.....

personally: im getting ready to switch my play toy (truck) over to propane.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Talking

I have a web site to tell about the name is Lindsey's Technical Books. They have books on all sorts of stuff like motor rewinding, home brewing, biodiesel, electric conversions, hydrogen as fuel, producer gas conversions (using wood or coal), canning and curing of meat, electorplating, How to build your own metal working shop (scratch built lathes and mills) You get the idea right????
    the web site is www.lindsaybks.com. Hope this helps get your creative wheels turning Get your free catalog today

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I've got a catalog from Lindsey. More good books than I can either afford or find time to read. Still, it's good to have one or two for reference in case.
    Q - What is Bambi?

A - Viable Target

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Good links! I didn't think that a Yugo could get any uglier, but that wood smoke fuel conversion showed me how wrong I was! I can relate the wood smoke fuel concept to making char-cloth. When the super heated cloth inside the airtight can starts venting the gasses out through the vent hole, the gasses are very flammable. One might want to use something like a Van, so that more of the contraption could be contained? I'll wait untill gas gets to $5.00 per gallon, or more before I start sawing into my F150.
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

There's a website which lists a FEMA report on using wood gas, including a 'how-to' on building a wood gas generator. It will supposedly run any gasoline engine; there's a picture of a tractor with a gas generator strapped to the side, and the farmer looks to be merrily plowing away.

http://www.gengas.nu/byggbes/index.shtml

Look up wood gas generator on google, and you'll find a ton of data on them. I even once found a picture of a car with a wood-gas generator in a trailer hooked up to the car! If we got into a real pickle for gas / oil, I think wood gas and biodiesel would be the way to go.
    Q - What is Bambi?

A - Viable Target

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Necessity is the Mother of Invention... I remember reading an old Popular Mechanic's magazine, where someone had converted a gas engine car over to a steam powered arrangement. I wish I had access to that old article, because it was really interesting how it was done, and it performed well too, if I remember right. It was an "Ugly Beast" though, and the Yugo conversion was what brought it to mind.
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.