Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What would "You" eat?

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Sasafrass trees grow here as weeds. I guess that I would have to learn to like it!
    Quote Originally Posted by moleman
    And I was starting to think I was the only hillbilly that liked sasafrass tea. It has to be dug by yourself though, that stuff they sell in the store is crap.

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Getting past the food aversion factor is the main thing. There are a lot of edible things out there that most people would puke at the thought of eating. For example the fresh eyeballs from animals are a good source of saline (salt) which your body needs.

As for insects you can forget spiders for the most part, at least all the survival instructors I ever had said you should. Same goes for mushrooms. They don't provide much nutritional value and are a real risk is you don't know what you're picking.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaAKM
    Sasafrass trees grow here as weeds. I guess that I would have to learn to like it!
    sassafrass tea and Abulita chocolate has got to be my favorite deep woods breakfast . gooooood stuff
    Will Hayden, RedJacket Firearms
    www.Redstick-Firearms.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I was raised in the swamps of Louisiana so I already eat a lot of unusual stuff. When you are talking about true survival you will eat what you need to eat or you will die. Also in a survival situation ignorance will kill you faster than anything else.
    Patrick Henry, that patriot and Founding Father of our country said, "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists but by Christians, not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ".

Feedback Score

As a general rule of thumb for edible plants. If it has a white sap or has a bitter taste, spit it out. If it passes the above test. Eat a small portion and wait a while to see if you mouth tingles (that is bad) best to wait 4 hours to see if it give you diarrhea before you eat very much of any un-test food.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic1954
    As a general rule of thumb for edible plants. If it has a white sap or has a bitter taste, spit it out. If it passes the above test. Eat a small portion and wait a while to see if you mouth tingles (that is bad) best to wait 4 hours to see if it give you diarrhea before you eat very much of any un-test food.
    That is a good basic approach if it is something that you are not sure of. I do agree with some previous comments that relate to how much is edible, but we wouldn't even consider eating it! I guess that we would have to consider how "The rest of the World eats"...
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yikes!
    I'll stick to SPAM...
    Oh, and if you are interested in trapping info/supplies checkout:
    http://www.buckshotscamp.com/

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Freebore
    The question is, if you were really starving, and it was down to survival, what would you eat, or do to survive? Is it a good idea to have basic knowledge of edible plants, or trapping/snaring techniques, or will the Gov't be there to feed you? I have "played around" with preparedness, and survival methods for a few years, and I'd like to think that I would be able to eat Pond Scum & BullFrogs. I'll say that in my experiments with "Survival Foods", it's been a big awareness challenge between how I am used to feeding myself, and others, and how you might "have" to eat. OBTW, tinfoil makes some "dandy" cooking vessels.
    I would eat almost anything that is safe to eat. I Have eaten Seaweed and that is really gross. So grubs, worms and even mice couldn't be nearly as bad.

I grew up poor and we hunted a lot to make ends meet. Rabbit, squirrel, morning dove, you name it and we prolly ate it.

I have learned several trick throughout the years. One good source is Tom Brown's Wilderness Guides. Very good stuff in his books. Google him.
    Choose Your Weapon
    Choose Your Ground
    Face Them When They Come

MMAI -Modern Martial Arts Initiative

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live." --Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for the reference, I'll check it out!
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Well you could eat....
    I forget the name of the plant but I know what it looks like-wild carrots....
    Queen Ann's Lace. The root (carrot) is ripe when the flower bundle has one dark red flower in the center.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.