Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What would "You" eat?

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneC
    Is this a different show/person? The dude, Bear, really gets right to the bare bones about surviving and eating.
    Yep - Survivorman is a different show with a different person. http://www.survivorman.ca/ is the site. It is on discovery science. He has no camera crew with him and so he is on his own lugging around his own camera gear. Check it out sometime.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sniper69
    Yep - Survivorman is a different show with a different person. http://www.survivorman.ca/ is the site. It is on discovery science. He has no camera crew with him and so he is on his own lugging around his own camera gear. Check it out sometime.
    I haven't seen this one yet. I'll keep an eye out for him. I watch man vs wild every chance I get. That guy is pretty hardcore. His theme is based on getting back to civilization though, kinda has it backwards, huh.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Thanks to the Boy Scouts of America, I've felt confident to survive in the woods since I was 12-13 years old. Of course I'm no survivor man. But at least I would not freak out & I think I could do pretty well.
    It's a shame what the ACLU & law suit happy parents have done to the Scouting program.
    I looked into helping with a troop when we lived in Florida & was dissapointed to find out their idea of camping out was taking a fleet of fancy motor coaches to the Yogi Bear campground.They spent all day playing video games in the motor home. They could not even carry pocket knives! WTF?
    Our troop went every other weekend out to some remote area & about all we had was a shelter half, flint& steel & a knife.
    I think kids are really missing out nowadays because the troop leaders are scared to death of doing ANYTHING that a parent might find non PC, or even a kid getting a tiny scratch or bruise.
    The result is an awful lot of sissyfied youngsters.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

All over the Country, but my home's in Florida
    Feedback Score

Well the problems with those survivor shows is when they try to cram several days worth of 'surviving' into a one hour show, alot gets left out and more importantly, Mr Bear is a a former British Special Forces, French Foreign Legion, etc, What works for him won't guarantee it'll work for the rest of us. He extreme conditioning pulls him thru spots that'd be fatal if mere mortals tried it. Us regular folks need to know our limitations and plan accordingly.
    Freedom comes from those who fought for it.
    USMC, GoA Lifer, NRA, IDPA SO, Florida Cracker

Feedback Score

In the south we eat coons to nutra. Its called GUMBO.......

Feedback Score

I love Man vs Wild. Survivor Man is okay. He's kinda skatter brained.

I like the guy in Man vs Wild better.

Would be kinda fun to test your skills like that though.

When I was a kid we ate almost anything we could catch or kill at one time or another. Some of us were the adventurous type. My dad also liked hunting. So I have had plenty of experience freezing my butt off.
    Choose Your Weapon
    Choose Your Ground
    Face Them When They Come

MMAI -Modern Martial Arts Initiative

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live." --Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If I may, a few thoughts from the new guy.

For video instruction check out Ron and Karen Hood at "Survival.Com"
    They have a very good video series called "The Woodsmaster Series". They also have an "Urban Master series" that I have not seen but have heard good things about. "Cave Cooking" is one that my wife enjoys. They have a very good forum with a lot of extremely knowledgeable people, several experts in their field.

Buckshot's videos are great! Something to be aware of, he reportedly went thru a divorce and his ex-wife got the rights to "BuckshotsCamp.com". Orders are not filled promptly and Buckshots good reputation has suffered because most do not know this. I found out after refering a good friend to their site, and then being asked about it being a fricking month and zero replies to emails or phone calls. He is reportedly setting up a new website, and will be resuming his video's and online sales/instruction.

As far as what I will eat... I draw the line at her smelling like 3 day old fish guts in the hot summer sun. For sustainance I will eat almost anything I can keep down. The 2 things that I know I would have issue with would be snails and slugs. I would more than likely try roasting the bastards dry and then grinding them up or gnawing them up some and swallowing to get them down. I used to have a habit of eating raw fish fresh out of the ocean or mountain lakes/streams. I had a habit of eating raw beef in highschool at the restaurant I worked at, that was back when eating raw beef was still "safe". I have eaten a raw clam on a bet, imagine a COLD, salty extremely fishing tasting BOOGER in your mouth! The list continues. This summer if all goes as planned I will be spending a good month or better in the woods hiking my fat ass around, so I will be expanding my insect and bug sampling. I had a thing for rollie pollies when I was a kid. I don't recall what they tasted like though. If I ever get the chance I WILL try dog and cat. In a survival situation, especially urban, I will be trapping cats. Stray dogs will likely "disappear" as well.

Some authors of books you may enjoy:
    Chris Janowsky
    David Alloway
    Larry Dean Olsen
    John? and Geri McPhearson

a couple sources for edible wild plant info that may be indispensible.
    The Autobaun Societies Field Guide To North American Plants.
    Edible plants survival cards from BrigadeQuarterMasters.Com.

Enough of my blathering I hope that I do not come off like a know it all @$$h0le or someone that enjoys tearing people apart. When it comes to survival information and learning I simply feel it is best to take a serious look at the source of information and research things a little bit. For what it is worth I am NO expert, simply a man that has a lot to learn and realizes that the more he learns, the less he REALLY knows.
    Mini-14

Edited To Remove some opinions.
    Edited a 2nd time due to Link not working for Survival.Com so I typed it in.
    Last edited by Mini-14; 01-27-2008 at 02:07 PM.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

You wouldn't have to bet me to get me to eat clams on the halfshell (raw clam). Same with raw oysters. Take time to chew and savor them, the cold booger part is only true when you're gagging at the thought of them and slamming them down. Great food!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Another great author on the subject of wilderness survival is Tom Brown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson
    You wouldn't have to bet me to get me to eat clams on the halfshell (raw clam). Same with raw oysters. Take time to chew and savor them, the cold booger part is only true when you're gagging at the thought of them and slamming them down. Great food!

Yeah I could eat them if(in a survival situation) I had a case of real cold beer to take the taste out of my mouth

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.