Gunco Forums banner

Want to know about MRE's?

6K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  tanvil 
#1 ·
#2 ·
cool, thanks for sharing!

#5 ·
At least 20 years. A friend gave me some of his stash from the early 80s, they tasted a little less than fresh, but were OK. Stored in a garage, they went through a lot of high heat and cold cycles! The colder you keep them the longer they last. Heat shortens their life. There is a chart somewhere, the "official" version is that storage above 100 degrees results in something like a 6 month life and getting them down below 40 degrees or so results in 8+ years. The general consensus however is that as long as the package is not damaged or swollen and the contents do not taste bad, you are probably safe to eat them. This is for the retort packed entrees and sides, the stuff like the drink packs and accessory packs may go bad before the rest of the mre does.

#9 ·
GeneC said:
What are the best and worst tasting MRE?

I like the corn beef hash and the beef stew. I don't like the pork pattie or omelette with ham.

#11 ·
#13 ·
#14 ·
GeneC said:
What are the best and worst tasting MRE?
Highly subjective answers to that question! Also, the menus have changed some with each major contract so some of the stuff may not be available anymore.

The escalloped potatoes with ham is probably my favorite, very good and tastes almost like the store bought version in the microwave bowls.

Pork and rice with tomato sauce is good.

Ham patty was OK, would have been better cooked over a fire though.

Meatballs and rice, good.

Chicken and rice wasn't too fond of.

Corned beef hash was OK but was pretty soupy.

Turkey and gravy with potatoes, good.

Dunno if they make them anymore, but I had a few "LRRP" rations that were dehydrated instead of wet packed. The beef patty was a dehydrated hamburger, crumbled up in the beans with tomato sauce made a passable expedient chili.

The peanut butter is OK, kinda dry though.

The cheese spread is terrible, throw at the enemy and hope he eats it. He will be too busy pukeing to put up much of a fight.

The shelf stable bread is OK, again a bit dry.

The crackers are kinda thick and brittle but taste like crackers.

The pound cakes are great, the maple nut ones I would eat everyday!

The oatmeal bar is very dry but tastes like an oatmeal cookie, if you got milk I suggest extended dunking!

The drink mixes in fruit flavors are probably better than tasting water purification pills, but I'll stick with Kool Aid! The hot cocoa is good though.

Those are about all the ones I've tried, some I passed on just because I don't like the dish regardless of who made it.

#16 ·
Boy i have a stock pyle of mre's left over from hurricane katrina. The choppers flew in and dropped pallets and pallets of them. Im talking 1000's . Most people didnt even know what they were and they sat there in the soccer feild for days so I finally went and picked them all up. My wife was real happy.....

#17 ·
teringo1 said:
Boy i have a stock pyle of mre's left over from hurricane katrina. The choppers flew in and dropped pallets and pallets of them. Im talking 1000's . Most people didnt even know what they were and they sat there in the soccer feild for days so I finally went and picked them all up. My wife was real happy.....
I remember seeing MRE's listed on ebay after Katrina. Many had a location in LA. :eek: :eek: :rofl:

That wasn't you was it... ;) ;)

(trying to be funny...:D )

#20 ·
I have MRE's that are about 10 years old and are still eatable. I throw them in my Alice Pack when I go hunting. Just ate one the other day and it was damn good. Some are definetly better than others. I really like the ham portions that I got years ago, there probably 8 to 10 years old and taste better than ham you buy in the store. Got 3 cases under the bed for emergency, just in case. And a whole box of MRE deserts. The peaches & diced fruit are excellent, the pineapple is ok. My wife likes the little bottles of hot sauce that comes with them. lol.

#21 ·
sniper69 said:
I remember seeing MRE's listed on ebay after Katrina. Many had a location in LA. :eek: :eek: :rofl:

That wasn't you was it... ;) ;)

(trying to be funny...:D )
No Im in Ms. I actually kept all mine and use them when we go hunting or deep sea fishing for a couple of days. I usually just grab a box and tell the guys Im bringing dinner. At first they were ready to string me up but they learned to like them as they are not all that bad.:thumbup1:
I bet they dropped 10-15000 at a time in a ball feild by my parents house. No one would go and get them. So me and my brother hooked up the 5x8 trailer and went a loaded them up. The local police actually stopped and asked what we were doing. We had told them and they actually said there would be another chopper coming to make another drop that day. So it would be good that we moved them. I bet we made at the least of 10 hauls. My wife said enough. I think she started to think about how many she would have to eat.:angry: So I figured I had enough. I still got a large amount of them and its been over two years now. They still are very tasty in my opinon. They have matches but no smokes. All well I dont smoke anyway. :dunno:

#22 ·
teringo1 said:
No Im in Ms. I actually kept all mine and use them when we go hunting or deep sea fishing for a couple of days. I usually just grab a box and tell the guys Im bringing dinner. At first they were ready to string me up but they learned to like them as they are not all that bad.:thumbup1:
I bet they dropped 10-15000 at a time in a ball feild by my parents house. No one would go and get them. So me and my brother hooked up the 5x8 trailer and went a loaded them up. The local police actually stopped and asked what we were doing. We had told them and they actually said there would be another chopper coming to make another drop that day. So it would be good that we moved them. I bet we made at the least of 10 hauls. My wife said enough. I think she started to think about how many she would have to eat.:angry: So I figured I had enough. I still got a large amount of them and its been over two years now. They still are very tasty in my opinon. They have matches but no smokes. All well I dont smoke anyway. :dunno:

At least your making sure they don't go to waste. :thumbup1: Besides they really don' taste bad.

I sometimes wish I had that many. :)

#24 ·
sniper69 said:
At least your making sure they don't go to waste. :thumbup1: Besides they really don' taste bad.

I sometimes wish I had that many. :)
I was thinking about putting some on ebay to sell but didnt know if I could get in any type of trouble over it. I really dont think so but you never know these days. sniper69 if you ever come down to Ms. gulfcoast let me know in advance and I will kick you down a couple of cases if you want them. They are all still banded. Im in the X-Mas spirt. :thumbup1:

#25 ·
teringo1 said:
I was thinking about putting some on ebay to sell but didnt know if I could get in any type of trouble over it. I really dont think so but you never know these days. sniper69 if you ever come down to Ms. gulfcoast let me know in advance and I will kick you down a couple of cases if you want them. They are all still banded. Im in the X-Mas spirt. :thumbup1:
If you were going to put some out for sale, I may be in for a couple cases. Pm me or post prices and quantities

#26 ·
teringo1 said:
About how far from Montgomery are you? I might be persuaded to make a road trip one of these days. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.