Gunco Forums banner

What do you think the silver market will do?

5K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Raven 
#1 ·
Some say it is a good idea to have some sort of precious metal for preparedness/economic reasons. Gold is nice - but costly. Silver seems to be doing better than it was last year, and I have read where the price of silver will keep going up. Do you all feel it will go up or stay around where it is at? If you feel it will go up, how high do you think it will go? $20/oz., $40/oz, or more? Just curious what everyone thinks.

#5 ·
ptannjr - the silver eagles and the silver maple leafs seem to be popular. Not only from a collectable standpoint - but also from the purity of the silver in them.

#7 ·
UrbanCountryBumpkin said:
Silver will keep going up due to the weak devaluation inflationist dollar policy of the Federal Reserve and the US Government they own. All commodities will go up in value, demoninated in USD. You cannot go wrong, long term, holding value asset metals such as Silver.
There's increasing competition for most all commodities/resources. I would like to invest in more than just lead & copper..:wink:

#8 ·
Mike -- I use one of the financial adviser firms and several years back they laughed at me for "investing" in ammo and Krugerrands.

Had a meeting Wed of last week and watched them eat their words. Only problem was it was my money they were only getting 2.8% return on!!

I know they're over $600 for a one oz coin but it's the standard of the world. If everything else goes; that will remain.

#9 ·
Winn R said:
Mike -- I use one of the financial adviser firms and several years back they laughed at me for "investing" in ammo and Krugerrands.

Had a meeting Wed of last week and watched them eat their words. Only problem was it was my money they were only getting 2.8% return on!!

I know they're over $600 for a one oz coin but it's the standard of the world. If everything else goes; that will remain.

True, I just kick myself in the butt at times for not investing in precious metals when they cost less. I remember when silver was $6-$7/oz and now it is over $12/oz. and when gold was less than $400/oz and it is now around $600 or more an oz.
I wonder though if the pre-1964 90% silver coins are a good way to go for those that can't afford others. I had a buddy of mine offer to sell or trade me a bunch of peace and morgan dollars. But he is holding on to them for the time being.

#11 ·
sniper69 said:
True, I just kick myself in the butt at times for not investing in precious metals when they cost less. I remember when silver was $6-$7/oz and now it is over $12/oz. and when gold was less than $400/oz and it is now around $600 or more an oz..
Well -- I remember in the late '80's when I leveraged everything I had into silver on the Chicago market at $11 and watched it go to $7. My friend, it's never an easy call.

sniper69 said:
I wonder though if the pre-1964 90% silver coins are a good way to go for those that can't afford others. I had a buddy of mine offer to sell or trade me a bunch of peace and morgan dollars. But he is holding on to them for the time being.
There's a well established market on those. Friday's Wall Street is in the bottom of the can but I'll check tomorrow -- I think they're quoted.

Edit -- Quick look shows a little over 9 times face.

#18 ·
meyerse said:
I think what you are seeing there is the dollar going into the crapper, a situation that will only contine with our trade deficit and the FEDs unwillingness to raise interest rates because they are scared it will cause the housing market to further deflate as all those ARM loans reset. so one way to hedge against a weak dollar is silver or gold.
agreed!

#20 ·
Yeah, I find it freakin scary that the Chicom government could just stop buying/and or dumping and most likely cause a financial meltdown of the US Govt. within a week.
Someone said last week that China is to the U.S right now financially, what the U.S. was to Great Britian in the 1930s and 1940s.

#21 ·
Rocster said:
Yeah, I find it freakin scary that the Chicom government could just stop buying/and or dumping and most likely cause a financial meltdown of the US Govt. within a week.
Someone said last week that China is to the U.S right now financially, what the U.S. was to Great Britian in the 1930s and 1940s.

The only problem with them doing it at the moment is it would throw thier economy into chaos too. Once they have our auto industry and airline industry, THEN they can hang us out to dry. I'm all for free (fair) trade, but that isn't what China does.

#22 ·
Silver has more industrial demand than gold. World reserves of silver hover around 6-9month supply for industrial use. Gold hovers around 40 years for industrial use supply. There is more demand fluctuation due to demand for jewlery. Silver has more potential to go up as Indians and Chinese are starting to horde silver as a hedge against currency collapse or govt revaluation. Silver is easier to purchase as the price is more attractive when they only make 4-6k a year. Also the new middle class likes to have silver serving sets and utensiles in India as well. Most silver is gotten as a byproduct of gold or copper mining so any reduction in gold and copper mining reduces output of silver.

As for the above... China needs us more than we need them. An embargo of Chinese goods in the US would crush their economy as they have failed to develop a consumer economy to provide for a large local market for goods or services as a buffer. Competion between factories for export sales has driven their margins down close to zero. Cheap loans has resulted in way too much capacity in many sectors. The Chinese savings rate is over 25% where ours is negative. Until Chinese people feel comfortable spending, they depend on the rest of the world for their economic growth. That would probably require the corruption issues to get resolved as well as the adoption of rule of law over administrative law, which corruption has thrived under.

-Yarro

#23 ·
Silver popped up .48 cents today...post-election jitters?
Anyways, many folks recommend buying junk silver, i.e. pre-64 us coins.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junk_silver
It's has a lower premium to purchase it, as opposed to sometimes pricey buillion coins, and it is more clearly recognized as being easier to trade with due to the smaller demoninations and sizes.

#24 ·
I prefer to mine my own Gold. Learn how to prospect and you'll always have an emergency sorce of gold if things get real bad like the great depression or worse.
Takes time to learn like anything else, but once you know how, it's like picking money up off the ground.
http://www.goldprospectors.org/

#25 ·
Anyone remember when the US goverment bougt back Silver Certificate doller denomination notes (US currancy) ??? I have a few 1lb bars and over the last 40 years I've collected any Silver dollars I could ome across, Morgans,Peace and even the newer Walking Libertys.

My Carson City Morgans have gone way,way up over the years! sure it's not gold but 4 50 cal. ammo cans full should help if the SHTF, if not later I'll sell all my doubles and "extra" complete sets. I'll pass the rest on to my son when I'm gone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.