Gunco Forums banner

10 day survival pack.....

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  MUSIBIKE 
#1 ·
#2 ·
In these days of cell phones many consider this to be superfluous. But consider, knowing where you are doesn't mean that help can get to you.

High energy food, water and warm blankets or clothing, as well as votive candles (I prefer them to canned heat) can be stored in a 50 cal ammo can in a trunk. While an ammo can probably can't hold 10 days survival supplies if water is included, keeping one in your car or trunk is easy insurance.

#3 ·
I live were the outdoor temp in the shade can be 120F. At the elevated temperature in the car trunk, 150F+. Most foods have shelf lifes that can be in days. Canned food bulges from the temp. Fats go rancid pretty fast. Candles turn into a lump. I just carry lots of water and gookin-aid for rehydration. When I am going somewhere cold, like Northern AZ in the winter. I throw in some food, handwarmers, and candles as a suppliment to the hot weather auto BOB, which already has clothing, blankets, medkit, canteens, cups, etc... I also have two small 12V heaters, one for each vehicle, that I picked up at the autoparts store that can be used to get some heat out of the battery if the car breaks down for other than electrical reasons.

-Yarro

#4 ·
Excellent article Sniper. With travel around the world getting easier and easier every day, I took your artilce with great interest.
Living in Fla. "Hurricane Alley" We have learned what it is like to go without power and water for several days.
Interesting new forum. :thumbup1:

#5 ·
Thanks for the article..
I just completed a demonstration of tropical 72 hr packs locally - most of the sheeple were not impressed with the concept of needing such a kit, and considered my efforts in warning them as alarmist and paranoid. Meanwhile we're only 18 months into recovery fom the last major cyclone in our area (a few deaths, reasonable damage, several days without services.)

Nuts how sheeple are.

Des

#7 ·
It is them SHEEPLE that ask you for some spare water and to throw an extension cord over the fence to plug in on your generator. They won't even give you some gas to put in the generator! AWWWH, the power will be back on soon. So, you throw their extension cord back over the fence.

:notworthy

#6 ·
When Alicia hit Houston, power, water, phones and, gas were out for four days, three nights. A shelf of canned beans, corn, tomatoes and, some vienna sausages were all we had.

Some dry wood we had stashed proved to be like GOLD to heat up some nice canned resource soup. That got us through two days and nights.

An old motorcycle battery out of my Honda kept my little electronic ballast driven flourescent light going two nights. By the third night it was dead.

The generator was under two feet deep of water. So, it was useless.

That third night found us out in the back yard with a fire going with some more dry wood I found out there. We were the only light around. The only people around too.

I picked up two 80 watt solar panels to keep four bigger batteries charged up now. I learned my lesson of how bad you would love to see in the dark and listen to some kind of radio. A 12V TV is a priceless item during a stint like this. So is a good well working pistol if you need it.

We had no idea that power was on over at the city hall in Bellaire. Almost close enough to walk there. But, we had no idea that the flooding was mainly in our area that was cut off from everything. At least we had a tad of Whiskey the last long night in the North end of Bellaire, Texas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.