Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: canned butter and cheese

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink
    My brother in law emailed me this morning. Bega/Bega Valley is the dairy country part of Australia, about 400 miles from Sydney. He grew up there, what a coincidence! Dairy farms almost exclusively there, and Bega Cheese company is the largest cheese company in Australia. He assures me any of their products will be top notch, although he has not seen the canned stuff there.

I found their website, looks like the canned stuff is for export to the middle east? 24 month shelf life as well, although I'm sure with cooler temps and a conservative expiration date to keep the lawyers happy you could probably extend that another year without any danger.

http://www.begacheese.com.au/products/products.html

NZ butter he has only seen fresh, but he again says it should be pretty good.
    kernel - thanks for the information. Looks like i may need to get a few cans to try (I want to make sure it passes the family test before I got more than a few cans. )
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Do you have a Meijer department store nearby? The really large ones with half the store a grocery store have an international foods aisle, broken down into country of origin. When my Sister and her hubby visit they always shop there for stuff from home. They might have the same stuff available, I know he has seen Bega products there.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink
    Do you have a Meijer department store nearby? The really large ones with half the store a grocery store have an international foods aisle, broken down into country of origin. When my Sister and her hubby visit they always shop there for stuff from home. They might have the same stuff available, I know he has seen Bega products there.
    They have them where I grew up - my BIL is a manager of one. I could ask him if he has them at the store he manages. Meijer only goes down into Northern Kentucky IIRC.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I buy the canned cheese at the local Asian supermarket. It is fine. I have eaten a can that was 2 years old and it tasted just like the new can that I had finished the day before. I will have to look for canned butter. They probably have that too.

-Yarro

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've used canned NZ butter off and on overseas for years and always tried to stock some for eventualities. It is very good stuff and keeps well even in hot, tropical climates until the can is opened. Have eaten some of the cheese too though don't remember buying it myself. Good too. Check in latin and arab mercados, tiendas in the states. NIDO milk is another thing worth stocking. It is powdered whole milk and tastes much better than the normal powdered milk you usually find in most grocery stores. It is vacuum sealed in tins. I buy it at latin mercados.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

home canning venison is very easy. I've have some that's about 7 years old and still tastes good. I have about 70 lbs of deer meat I'm planning on canning soon.

everybody should at least buy a canning book, it is amazing what can be preserved. Hell, you can even can bread.

I'd like to find a whole canned chicken!

rey
    Feedback Score

Default canned butter and cheese

I have both and I really like the taste of them. I think that the shelf life is considerable longer than two years.

Feedback Score

Here in Russia they still can A LOT! Most homes and apartments have a room or a closet that is setup to shelf all of the canned food for the winter months.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

I know it is a bit off topic BUT I have bought a bunch of mountain house #10 cans and I have been very happy with the quality. shelf life is often over 30 years. after the shelf life the product dose not "go bad" but they can not assure the color or texture. amaizing deal. I highly recomend them!
    I am off the page for extended times due to job requirements, not gone forever

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrel View Post
    I know it is a bit off topic BUT I have bought a bunch of mountain house #10 cans and I have been very happy with the quality. shelf life is often over 30 years. after the shelf life the product dose not "go bad" but they can not assure the color or texture. amaizing deal. I highly recomend them!
    I see mountain house meals in one of the local stores near the backpacking supplies. maybe I need to give some of them a try.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.