Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: canned butter and cheese

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I'm getting hungry. Butter and cheese AND freeze-dried meals.

Mmmm, food!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I would recommend getting a pressure cooker, remember they were the first microwaves (kindly) and they keep food good for years. I have started to believe that I need to can a lot of stuff this year; especially since most things are easy to just can and forget. One other thing to consider is to make an industrial style food dehydrator... simple as all get out and gives added life to all kinds of food. There is a reason that there is some beef jerky that has been found that was still good years after it was made.
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Feedback Score

Why buy canned butter when you can do it yourself in pint jars. Its easy to do.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Wow timely info - my wife and I are planning to can our garden this year because we simply couldn't eat all of it last year!

A note about canning - you can get canning stuff at any grocer. You can get older canning books from the library, but be warned that some of the "older" recipes may in fact be unsafe! The newer books suggested this, and so be aware that some 40-year-old recipe may not purify properly, leading to potential botulism poisoning. Very bad!

Slightly off-topic -

I'm sticking to canning vegetables for now, but I never really considered canning meats. Is there a good book or reference that has how-to stuff? The sheer amount of fish we catch every year here in the Chesapeake compels us to freeze everything, and canned fish would be a nice alternative! Especially if the power goes out I think I'll make a new thread about canning.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hmm jerky and canning. how long would the jerky last if canned?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    Wow timely info - my wife and I are planning to can our garden this year because we simply couldn't eat all of it last year!

A note about canning - you can get canning stuff at any grocer. You can get older canning books from the library, but be warned that some of the "older" recipes may in fact be unsafe! The newer books suggested this, and so be aware that some 40-year-old recipe may not purify properly, leading to potential botulism poisoning. Very bad!

Slightly off-topic -

I'm sticking to canning vegetables for now, but I never really considered canning meats. Is there a good book or reference that has how-to stuff? The sheer amount of fish we catch every year here in the Chesapeake compels us to freeze everything, and canned fish would be a nice alternative! Especially if the power goes out I think I'll make a new thread about canning.
    pookie - how about smoked fish?

As for canning meat - here is a link to a pdf put out by NDSU. http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/fn188.pdf
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Feedback Score

I canned butter 1n 1999 that's still very good. I used 12 oz straight side jelly jars. Buying butter on sale is still @ $2 a #, less in couple of case lots.

I sterilize jars by boiling, then upside down in gas oven on 200, butter is melted, temp checked to be 240, skimmed a few times until clear, then poured into jars to 1/2" space, lids come out of simmering water bath, with magnetic lid lifter, then snugged down. This is now Ghee, lasts a LONG time, and is very expensive in the specialty stores. I've used both salted and unsalted butter, don't see any difference.

For this, you don't need a pressure canner, nor for jams, jellies, pickles.

+ 1 and repeat: Old recipe times and temps not safe, I recall a vichiossee (sp) soup processor who discovered a resistant botulism strain. I will not touch shellfish for this reason.

Feedback Score

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.