Thread: MSR Miox

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Default MSR Miox

Hi, I saw an MSR Miox last night and have a few questions. Does anyone here own one or use one? If you do, do you like it? Would it be a good thing for a BOB, backpacking, camping, or those times when the water is questionable? I was thinking of buying one as the price seemed right, but figured I would ask here first before getting one.
    Thanks.

Here is a link to one site about it, if I buy one I'll buy locally (and yes it is the military model I'm looking at (though the only difference seems to be the color and the pouch it is in)
    MIOX Water Purifier
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

sniper. I would say that is a little expensive. But if you are going to be in an area and need water in an emergency it sure could come in handy.
    I have never done it but read where you can run water through a coffee filter, boil it and put a teaspoon +- of bleach in a gallon of water and it will kill all the germs. Always let your wife or girlfriend drink it first to make sure your not going to get sick.
    Hell Bear Grills just sticks his face in a mud hole and drinks the water and he ain't dead yet.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

4th - luckily at the exchange on base it is only $99 instead of the $139 at other places. I have a katadyn combi filter I keep with my backpacking stuff and a MSR inline filter for my camelbak.
    Even though I have filters i keep eyeing up the MSR Miox as another alternative (since it is a purifier not a filter).
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Talking

Ah hell sniper. Water is water. I'm in Cambodia with my head under the fawcet at my hotel drinking. The maid starts screaming in "tongues" like kinda goes bezerk.
    My buddy comes in and says "what the hell is going on?" I said "I don't know the chick is going wacko"
    Turns out there is signs all over the damn place in every language known to man. "DON'T DRINK THE WATER" Holy S@#$t I thought I was dead. So I hit the bar and drank a couple of shots of whiskey. Must have killed the germs cause I never got sick.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

MIOX is a tool like any other. I have one and use it in concert with other tools for filtering an purification.

Each has it pros and cons...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Sounds like a chlorine generator. Automated chlorine generator - Patent 4724059

Large units are sometimes used for swimming pool chlorination. I see some complaints that the generator cell can wear out prematurely. Does MIOX rate their chamber for any given number of gallons?
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Sounds like a chlorine generator. Automated chlorine generator - Patent 4724059

Large units are sometimes used for swimming pool chlorination. I see some complaints that the generator cell can wear out prematurely. Does MIOX rate their chamber for any given number of gallons?
    According to Cascade Designs/MSR the MIOX unit one full salt chamber will purify 20 treatments and the battery has an approximately 50 gallon life spanhttp://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/..._manual_en.pdf

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

That appears to be chamber capacity but do they address longevity of the chamber?

"One Full Salt Chamber 20 +- treatments" doesn't really address how long the chamber itself lasts. The manual also doesn't list the chamber as a field-replaceable part so if it goes out, do you buy a new unit or can the old unit be repaired?

I do notice, to their credit, a limited lifetime warranty. But that won't matter if you're in a situation to depend on the unit and it fails.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Yet another reason to have more than one way to purify water .

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.