Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: MREs HUH.

jack404

when i first joined here we had bully beef and hardtack biscuits.

Then we got the then new rations and they where ok

main meal (tinned dog i think), survival bickies, protein bickies, condensed milk, fruit cocktail 125gm,chococlate 50gm, a tin of cheese, 3 coffees and 3 tea's and dunny paper!!!

US rations where a luxury compared though I thought. but franks and beans? pass..

French legione rations are great!!! try them!! bulky and heavy but great tasting everything.

cheers

PS we did get a beer ration though.. 2 cans, per man, per day, perhaps... but you could build up a stock and trade it too..

Feedback Score

Actually liked the C Rats. Had my P38 on my dog tags. A bit heavy to carry. Ham & lima beans---yuuuuuum.

Feedback Score

I have to second the comment about WW 2 C rats - we got stuck with them from time to time. Our way to heat them up was to squirt some bug spray in to the peanut butter & light it in the can. It made a small mostly smoke less small fire.

firearms enthusiast kurts_armory's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I recently got some MRE's from a surplus store. i ate a couple of them and they aren't bad. plus, they come with lots of little goodies(lol). they wouldn't be bad if you were just goin on a backpacking trip or something for a few days, but they would probably get old after eating them for a few months.
    gun control means hitting your target

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Was going through some boxes in my basement yesterday and ran across some chicken ala king and omelette with ham (IIRC) as well as some other MRE odds and ends in a box dated 87. Still looks OK package wise. 21 years and counting.....

However I did find another box of loose packets of crackers, spreads, etc that the mice seem to have found first. Shredded aluminum and mylar packets everywhere, they ate everything in there except the grape jelly. Not even a nibble on the packets. Wonder what it is about that jelly that repels mice?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Wonder what it is about that jelly that repels mice?
    Maybe they could read the label.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Mice don't like saltpetre

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Mice don't like saltpetre
    they do like MSG - it makes them more tender and flavorful.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

back on topic - mredepot has some menu C mre's for sale. They were made for a gov contractor and have an interesting menu line up. The menu A and B do fine for me

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

C-rats are what we ate in basic and then at my first duty station when we went to the field. I am pretty sure I still have my P-38 on my dog tag chain. Then came the MRE's. The dried hamburger patty and dried potatoes were a little hard to get used to. Dried fruit was good. Did like them when heated ala Thailand sun but didn't heat up very well in Korea during the winter.
    C-rats were ok. Tried the can in the helicopter turbine exhaust trick (after it was shut down, didn't need a can to go flying into a tail rotor) and worked well. Some strange combos and lots of tabasco made them edible.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.