Gunco Forums banner

MREs HUH.

7K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  [486] 
#1 ·
You young whipper snappers. :geezer:Why back in my day we ate out of a can. P-38 races to see who could open the can the fastest. Cooking our food over C-4. :w00t1:Beans and franks. Turkey that tasted like like Oh God I'm getting sick thinking about it.

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
lol, vienna sausage ranks right up there with potted meat food product. From wiki, PMFP ingredients include:

Ingredients

* Armour Star: Mechanically separated chicken, beef tripe, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, beef hearts, water, partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue, salt, and less than 2 percent: mustard, natural flavorings, dried garlic, dextrose, sodium erythorbate, and sodium nitrite.

* Hormel: Beef tripe, mechanically separated chicken, beef hearts, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, meat broth, vinegar, salt, flavoring, sugar, and sodium nitrite.

* Libby's: Mechanically separated chicken, pork skin, partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, vinegar, less than 2% of: salt, spices, sugar, flavorings, sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrate.

Mouth-watering!

#34 ·
I think those are the ingredients in potted meat, but vienna sausage may be similar. Anytime something is legally required to be called a "food product" I don't think it qualifies as food anymore. The History Channel had a program with WWII re-enactors on it, one D-Day paratrooper had an original K rat he opened up to show what was in it. He said the meat can was similar to potted meat. Spam may last 60 years, but this stuff was black, dehydrated, and probably full of worms. Or maybe that's how it looked back then too? :sick::barf:

#39 ·
Yup, That's when I went through Ranger School...Then we got sent to Washington and Alaska for additional training. I can assure you, nothing will make you more miserable than rehydrating an LRP, then placing it on your stomach to "warm it" when the outside temp is below 0. But, better than C's since they just froze up. We were not allowed to make fires, and heat tabs were gone in a day. I threw away the plastic canteen and bought an old style metal one so that I could heat water. Perforated a canteen cup to make a stove. It was enough to melt the water in the canteen back to a liquid state, and we had to conserve the heat tabs we had left. Miserable....

#36 ·
let me tell you a story about a hostess twinkie. in 1987 we stopped off at LRAFB while we were there we had an old hanger way off in the the boondocks. and we were given bag lunches --hence the twinkies. anyway i tossed my ever so stale twinkie in a wall locker.

well over a decade later were back at LRAFB again i think it was 1998 or 1999, at the same hanger. it looked like it had not been occupied since our last visit.

i open up the wall locker and there was that hostess twinkie i tossed in there a decade ago. it hadn't molded, rats and ants had refused to eat it. i think it was still as delicious as it was back in the 80s!

powerful preservatives back in the good old days!

#40 ·
Not much of a recipe, I just tear up some corned beef slices into small pieces and toss them in a skillet. Add some butter or margarine and brown them a bit. Add a couple tablespoons of flour to make the rue and slowly stir in milk, cooking down into a gravy. Add milk as needed for the thickness you prefer. With salted butter it's plenty salty as is, I just add a (un)healthy dose of fresh ground black pepper and ladle over split biscuits.

3 of the smaller pouches makes just the right amount for 5 biscuits. Can't find the corned beef in the one pound packs around here, just the plain beef. If making a bunch for the guys at lunch, I usually buy a couple of the pound size and add few of the corned beef for flavor. I use Pilsbury butter flavor flaky biscuits, they come in 5 or 10 count rolls around here. If you put them in a non-preheated oven they get done right about the time the beef does.

#42 ·
My Boy Scout troop spent a few weeks on Oahu in the summer of 66. We camped at Wheeler field & ate at the mess hall & also got rations that had little three or five? packs of cigarettes. We thought the smokes were pretty cool.The food in the little tin cans was not so hot.

#44 ·
All this talk of SOS is making me hungry. We had a variation of it here in the DFAC one morning. As I was scooping it over some biscuits I commented I love it when they serve SOS. One of the Navy guys was behind me in line and started laughing and said he hasn't heard it called that for years (the base here has army, AF, navy, and some usmc stationed here).

For biscuits at home, if I don't have time to make cathead biscuits - I use the frozen pillsbury biscuits (either southern style or buttermilk). An 8" cake pan is the perfect size for putting in 6-7 of the frozen biscuits. Put in the 375 degree Fahrenheit (approx 200 degree celcius) oven and let them bake as normal. They rise up real nice and look good.

Now I need to decide when to try bellson's recipe. It sounds good. :)

#45 ·
A buddy's kid just deployed to Afghanistan. He is at a small outpost where they don't have hot food so it is MREs or local food when they can get it. I told him before he left to let me know if he needed anything. His first request was, "Please send lots of those chewable chocolate flavored fiber tablets you always carry with you when you go camping with dad. Eat too many MREs. I would like to be able to take a s#$t before I come home." I hope I sent enough for everyone. I eat MREs when we camp light and no matter how much water I drink, they always plug me up like a successful junk shot on a wellhead if I don't eat them fiber chews.

-yarro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.