Gunco Forums banner

MREs HUH.

7K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  [486] 
#1 ·
You young whipper snappers. :geezer:Why back in my day we ate out of a can. P-38 races to see who could open the can the fastest. Cooking our food over C-4. :w00t1:Beans and franks. Turkey that tasted like like Oh God I'm getting sick thinking about it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
if you wanna try a gross mre that even the tobasco dont help eat a egg and cheese omlet. yecch.:barf:

#6 ·
yea our new ones aint got those stress releiving smokes. (i used to smoke) but that dont matter much to me. no "john wayne" bars we got the oorah/hoorah bars depends on which side you look at. Hard tack? nope. we got regular crackers and vegtable crackers. yep still got the disolvable coffee with sugar and cream to add in. and then the 2 lil chicklets of either mint/or cinamongun. occasionaly skittles, plain/peanut/peanutbutter m&m's, tootsie rolls. cobler. jam/peanut butter. a flavored drink mix, or dairy shake mix. lemon poppy seed/ spice pound cake, brownie, cookies. yep our "mre's" have definatly changed. and oh the variety of meals and combos. but regardless they still taste like shit and plug up rearend.

#7 ·
I actually like a lot of the MRE stuff, Although I will grant that if fed a steady diet of the stuff I would probably not look forward to Dinner.

C and K rats, never tried them. But have heard stories from my Dad (WWII) and a Marine friend (Vietnam). They both agree the Ham and Lima Beans was the worst tasting stuff to ever be canned. Something about feeding it to a POW would result in a war crimes charge? The funny thing is my Marine friend swears the C rats he was issued had WWII era dates on them..........

#8 ·
mre's are awesome. there are only a few I don't like. Now if I could just get some of those french mre type meals (RCIR). ;)

#10 ·
DAMN BIG AL.

I ain't messin with you. If you could swallow those scramled eggs you are a better man than me. :barf:Oh my God. 12 months on C-Rats will kill a man. :w00t1:

G
#11 ·
when i first joined here we had bully beef and hardtack biscuits.

Then we got the then new rations and they where ok

main meal (tinned dog i think), survival bickies, protein bickies, condensed milk, fruit cocktail 125gm,chococlate 50gm, a tin of cheese, 3 coffees and 3 tea's and dunny paper!!!

US rations where a luxury compared though I thought. but franks and beans? pass..

French legione rations are great!!! try them!! bulky and heavy but great tasting everything.

cheers

PS we did get a beer ration though.. 2 cans, per man, per day, perhaps... but you could build up a stock and trade it too..

#46 ·
I got a couple big bags of MRE crackers from my dad, he was throwing them out so I figured I'd grab them. Ate them at school for a while, got tonsa great funny looks... I should bring a whole one and eat it at my desk next year. Oh, we had some pound cakes, I wonder if they're still around. Those were pretty good...
And now for some offtopic...
I have seen this guy over on weapguild too, with the same deleted account, anyone know the story on him?

#13 ·
I have to second the comment about WW 2 C rats - we got stuck with them from time to time. Our way to heat them up was to squirt some bug spray in to the peanut butter & light it in the can. It made a small mostly smoke less small fire.:smoke:

#14 ·
I recently got some MRE's from a surplus store. i ate a couple of them and they aren't bad. plus, they come with lots of little goodies(lol). they wouldn't be bad if you were just goin on a backpacking trip or something for a few days, but they would probably get old after eating them for a few months.

#15 ·
Was going through some boxes in my basement yesterday and ran across some chicken ala king and omelette with ham (IIRC) as well as some other MRE odds and ends in a box dated 87. Still looks OK package wise. 21 years and counting.....

However I did find another box of loose packets of crackers, spreads, etc that the mice seem to have found first. Shredded aluminum and mylar packets everywhere, they ate everything in there except the grape jelly. Not even a nibble on the packets. Wonder what it is about that jelly that repels mice?

#16 ·
#18 ·
they do like MSG - it makes them more tender and flavorful. :whisker::whisker: :lol:

#19 ·
back on topic - mredepot has some menu C mre's for sale. They were made for a gov contractor and have an interesting menu line up. :) The menu A and B do fine for me :thumbup1:

#20 ·
C-rats are what we ate in basic and then at my first duty station when we went to the field. I am pretty sure I still have my P-38 on my dog tag chain. Then came the MRE's. The dried hamburger patty and dried potatoes were a little hard to get used to. Dried fruit was good. Did like them when heated ala Thailand sun but didn't heat up very well in Korea during the winter.
C-rats were ok. Tried the can in the helicopter turbine exhaust trick (after it was shut down, didn't need a can to go flying into a tail rotor) and worked well. Some strange combos and lots of tabasco made them edible.

#21 ·
when i was a young boot we still had c-rations. some were dated 1979 but they were still edible. sometime in the mid-late-80s we started getting the 'new-fangled" MRE's --the first batches were god-awful. eat a MRE and dry-fart all day! by the time the first DS war deployment MRe's were somewhat improved. but i still thought the c's and k's were better. my last trip to the sand-box the MRE's seemed a bit improved. in most on my "grunt-work" --98% of the time we were in the field- so i ate a bunch of portable rations. to be honest i don't miss them much--lol

#24 ·
that was great sj!
by the time i got in the old rations were history and they started testing the mres on us in basic
remember the John Wayne bars?they still called them that back in the 80s-probably still do-i read somwhere how it got the name but forget where

#26 ·
Brown water treatment is nothing new. Urine is especially hard to purify, but it can be done.
Urine recovery is an engineering challenge: "Urine is so much dirtier than ordinary humidity," Carrasquillo explains. "It can corrode hardware and clog hoses." ECLSS uses a purification process called vapor compression distillation: urine is boiled until the water in it turns to steam. The steam—essentially clean water vapor except for some traces of ammonia and other gases—rises into a distillation chamber, leaving behind a concentrated brown soup of impurities and salts that Carrasquillo charitably calls "brine" (which is discarded). The steam is cooled and condenses back into liquid. This steam distillate is then mixed with the humidity condensate, and the water further purified to become potable. ECLSS can recover 100 percent of moisture in the air, and 85 percent of the water in urine, resulting in a net overall recovery efficiency of about 93 percent.
NASA - Sci-fi Life Support

Of course, I'm right with you kernel - osmotically filtered urine isn't my cup of tea - or chicken and rice!

#29 ·
You guys are killing me!

In 1982, I was issued a case of C Rats that we dated 1955. They were the best C's I ever had.

I have been waiting for someone to bring up my gastronomical fav: LRPS. Vietnam era freeze dried garbage that would clog you up for a week. We were issued those as well. Actually, they taste fine, but after eating them the first day, you will get quite a case of abdominal cramps, followed exactly 6 hours later by a rectal explosion, the odor of which was enough to make you explosively vomit. We learned quickly to only eat two per day, not three. After a week or so, you could eat all you wanted. The only real benefit to the LRP Meals were that they did not weigh anything. You could sustain for two weeks without killing yourself. They were also relatively compact when disassembled into component form.

Just to add a nice finish to this culinary discussion, I made SOS this morning for my kids. 15 Minutes after I had served them, IT WAS ALL GONE!!! Little maggots ate it ALL! And I got NOTHING!

Recipe:
* 1 pound ground beef (Use the 80/20 stuff, lean does not have enough fat in it)
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 cube beef bouillon
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 pinch ground black pepper
* 2 1/4 cups milk
* 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions

1. Brown beef in a large skillet over medium high heat. Stir in flour, bouillon, salt and pepper. Saute all together for about 5 minutes or until flour is absorbed. Gradually stir in milk and Worcestershire sauce. Bring all to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Serve hot over toast, egg noodles, or mix with rice.

#30 ·
Sounds better than the chipped beef SOS mom used to feed us. And, we at it all up, too!

Another favorite, breakfast at supper time. My kids love that, it's a special treat!

#31 ·
I've had a few of the LRRP rations, the dehydrated beef patty crumbled and added to the baked beans makes a passable chili.

Creamed chipped beef is the best, I make it every few weeks or so. Great over freshly baked biscuits. Used to use the dried beef, but lately have found the Buddig brand corned beef sliced lunchmeat has better flavor with a lot less salt.

Now, if ya wanna talk inedible, the snack box in the waiting room at work just got reloaded by the vendor, they now have a can of vienna sausage in there. The boss' grandson will eat anything and grabbed it first thing. He ate half of one and then tossed the rest to the dog. Dog wouldn't eat any.

#38 ·
My Dad refused to make SOS with chipped beef. Apparently, WWII cured him of that. But; the Buddig Corned Beef idea is worth a go. Would you post up a recipe? I like trying new variations, and if it comes from your kitchen it has to be good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.