Gunco Forums banner

Ammo

9K views 63 replies 19 participants last post by  MUSIBIKE 
#1 ·
What do you consider to sufficient amounts of ammo to stock for your rifles? Pistols?

#30 ·
OK, so I have:

2,500 .22lr rds
1,100 7.62x39
1,000 .17 rds
150 .45acp rds
100 12 ga buckshot rds
50 12 ga slug loads
75 12 ga assorted shot size
3,000 .177 pellets
.357 sig 1 box( I do not own a .357 sig)
9mm 1 box( I do not own a 9mm)
.223 1 box( I do not own a .223)

I'm working on increasing the .45 acp and the 12 ga 00bk loads. Once I pump those numbers up a bit, I'll work on getting a few more ammo cans and I'll feel alot better....

#31 ·
You have a lot more .22Cal than I do!

And, I don't own a .45Cal anything.

I would bump that 7.62X39 up one more 1000 before the price goes up again next month.

Does not look like you need to even worry about 9mm or .223.

Your stock looks well covered.

#32 ·
glad u think so, but what isitthat they say..'just when you think you are prepared for anything..."?
well,pistols are important to me because they are reallythe only practically concealable firearm in the home. during an emergency,i'dliketoknow that i could fill a backpack with a few boxes of the stuff and head out...
12 ga is self explanatory and good for damn near anything, so i wil push that number up as well.

#34 ·
SIR if you are there with that .17 and can place your shots, I will be there with my FA STENS. Take out them primary large machine gunner operators and I can deal with all else.

Keep that 12 guage on a sling ready for close operation. The .45 cal on your hip for backup. I keep a TT33 Tokarev ready.

I finally see some REAL TEAM effort going here!

#36 ·
I have a 20 Gage Mossburg pump. Pistol grip and real short. Just barely legal length. I have 3 inch shells in it with #2 steel shot. For safe confrontation inside of the house. Won't get through a wall and hurt neighbors.

There is also my Baretta .32 Cal TOMCAT with FEDERAL premium hollow points in it laying right next to the bed. Along with a HUGE stinking ROTTWEILER.

#37 ·
Yeah, I like the Mossy somewhat, and am dissapointed that I did not spend the extra moeny to get the Rem police model or the 870 version of the same.
The quality just isnt what I thought that it would be. Not to sound SNOBBY, but IMO rem does a MUCH better job with their shotty's than Mossy.
Besides, mine froze up on the 5th shot or so. I WAS PISSED. I will take it out this weekend to run more and different ammo thru it. Someone suggested that the ammo may have caused it? My wife was also pulling the trigger, so if she "soft armed" it, or tried pulling back on the pump at the wrong time, she may have caused this to happen?
It doesnt help that I've seen and heard of this happening to other Mossy 590 owners.
I'm sure that a million people will tell me that they've owned theirs for millions of years with no prob. But the plain fact is that I cannot have faith in this weapon untill a determine what caused it to sieze up?!
I finally got it to extract the shell by using excessive force to pump the handle.

I keep a few 3inch loads around the house as well. They kick ass!

#39 ·
Yeah, I like the Mossy somewhat, and am dissapointed that I did not spend the extra moeny to get the Rem police model or the 870 version of the same.
The quality just isnt what I thought that it would be. Not to sound SNOBBY, but IMO rem does a MUCH better job with their shotty's than Mossy.
Besides, mine froze up on the 5th shot or so. I WAS PISSED. I will take it out this weekend to run more and different ammo thru it. Someone suggested that the ammo may have caused it? My wife was also pulling the trigger, so if she "soft armed" it, or tried pulling back on the pump at the wrong time, she may have caused this to happen?
It doesnt help that I've seen and heard of this happening to other Mossy 590 owners.
I'm sure that a million people will tell me that they've owned theirs for millions of years with no prob. But the plain fact is that I cannot have faith in this weapon untill a determine what caused it to sieze up?!
I finally got it to extract the shell by using excessive force to pump the handle.

I keep a few 3inch loads around the house as well. They kick ass!
"Froze Up" ... ???? :dunno:

I've had a Mossy 500 for years as the bedside defense in an accessible, albeit hard to find, location. Have never had any malfunctions whatsoever. "Limp wristing" would have nothing to do with a shotty - that really only affects semi-auto pistols. I had the Duke Nukem foreward pistol grip and it was a real nice little package. You can "limp wrist" that real easy when trying to rapid fire, and you'll only bruise your palm.

Is the gun "brand new" new? If so, you may just need to shoot it some for it to "wear in" the parts. Basically polish the parts by normal wear and tear. That packing oil that is on the guns with that "new gun" smell isn't the best lube. Spray it down with a good gun oil and see how it feels.

May have packing goop in it. Heck, it may have a burr on the barrel or chamber! Look closely at the extracted shell. If there are any scratch marks along the length of the round then that could be a telltale.

#40 ·
i will check it out, thanks. but 've also seen and heard of people having the same probs with the new mossy's?
here is a youtube of a fella showingthe diff between the mossy 590 and the remington 870 when hie mossy jams up. he then comments that this has happened a few times before.
i've not had mine jam since, bnut have only had the opportunity to fire it a few times since the jam.
ifthere is a burr in the chamber or a problemwith the load/feed mechanism this is a quality issue and i shouldnt have to concern myself with it.
i still feel that i should bought a rem 87o police.
this gun just feels cheap compared to all of the other rems that i've used and hunted with. this ''problem" that surface within the first handfull of rounds didnt help matters either...i'll never be able to fully trust this weapon again...itt'll always sit in the back of my mind -the failure
perhaps i'm being too critical, but i've owned dozens of weapons and never had this happen-ever.

#41 ·
I bet she didn't pull the slide to the rear completly before trying to chamber the next round. what you end up with is a fired round and live round wedged inside the open action that is now locked up. The shell lifter is trying to raise the live shell but it can't because the fired shell is in the way because it was only extracted and not ejected. I know you can jam up an 870 pretty good by short shucking the slide, so its not just the mossbergs that jam. You only need to have that happen one time before you learn to pump that slide with some authority making sure it comes completely back and hits its stop before pushing it forward.

#42 ·
I'll be the first to tell you that I know little about pump shottys-other than shooting them.
I should have gone to Dicks or Gander Mtn before purchasing this model to get a feel for it. I still need to actually break it in, and see if I can duplicate the problem. I was lurking on another forum and saw where someone mentioned that the discount REM bulk pack ammo (12ga) can bind up and cause this to happen?
That was the ammo that I was using in 00buck.

#43 ·
Everything is made to tighter tolerance these days with the 3-d software CAD programs floating around. I recommend just cycling any new weapon EMPTY a while then, lube it and cycle it some more. Then, clean all of that oil out along with the metal bits and residue. Then lightly lube it again.

These things are put together in a factory like where I work. But guns are not even fired most of the time before they leave the plant. Ar15's are most suseptable to this problem. Super tight fitting hardware that will lock up if you don't care for it right in the beginning.

These are like pets. You got to stroke them and rub their ears before they will PURR like a CAT. Give them some sweet talking too. :)

Good little UZI.

MUSIBIKE

#47 ·
This may of been covered already... and this maybe a dumb question of sorts, but bear with me here.

Would you stock more ammo for a Semi compared to a Bolt action rifle?
There are no stupid questions, only stupid responses! :D

Depends on what you want to do... and honestly there are so many "what if" scenarios that you shouldn't look at it from a "semi vs. bolt" comparison. Obviously you won't consume as much with a bolt action vs. semi, so as a rule of thumb you could stick with that.

If however you're going to rely on your bolt for "real" work like hunting (barring any discussions around zombie attacks or other silliness) then you may want to stock up more on your bolt action supply... bearing in mind it will cost more since it is typically of higher quality ammo.

So like I said... depends :)

#48 ·
I keep less for bolt/lever guns but it's all higher quality hunting ammo-sp,hp, etc.

#52 ·
Don't be too quick to throw out all mechanical wonderments because of this malfunction! I absolutely believe you can keep your confidence in any rifle, and I would contend that you could trust it even moreso AFTER you resolve this issue, because you'll know that you know that it works. If you just threw it in the closet until you heard a bump in the night, then I'd be worried, but otherwise, you will figure it out and have a great home defense weapon.

HOWEVER if you are really convinced the Mossy isn't worth your trouble, just trade it in for an 870. Seriously. There is something to be said about confidence in your firearm.

#56 ·
I suppose that everyone is stockpiled, yes? I know that Mauser and Musibike are up to their noese in ammo....not a bad problem to have at all. scary if you consider how long it will have to last..if the AWB makes a PERMANENT comeback...
I am buying another 1400 rounds from AIM and a few more boxes of 9x18 mak for dad to stockpile(he never shoots)
.45 stuff I have a bunch of and can reload easily. The steel case 7.62 is a diff story. I may have to slowly start buying up the expensive brass case stuff, just to be able to reload it?
The .223 is a varmint caliber and is used for hunting, so this ammo will be around for a bit( I would think) at least in brass case...perhaps not in bulk..

#58 ·
Upgrayed , lets put it this way, I still have some ammo in 7.62x39 that cost 6.9 cents a round (back when century would shell out for shipping if you bought over $500 dollars worth of product) ... and have continued to buy as I felt justified. Actually I have some from before that , in the old norinco stuff , but just keep that because; who knows....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.