Gunco Forums banner

ATE MY FIRST MRE

7K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  [486] 
#1 ·
Wow. Not bad. Better than my old ladies cooking. Grilled chicken or whatever the hell it was. Sure beat C rats hand down.
I am sure after a few weeks of eating them you could get sick of them real quick.
But I was impressed with the taste and quality of the whole package.
We used to carry a case of C rats which was not lite.
If nothing else these have got to be easier to carry for our young troops.
Took me a damn hour to figure out how to cook the damn thing.
Even my cat liked the chicken. Come to think of it it did taste a little bit like cat.

#39 ·
Never ate one of course, but the vets who have and still have nightmares from it say the cans are labeled "ham and lima beans". I am sorta picturing a SPAM chunk with Lima beans embedded in it but am told it was more like Ken L Ration dog food with large green things in it.

#41 ·
I want to know if anyone out there was told that the gum in the newly issued MRE's were also a laxative? While I was in the Corps we were told that a number of times out in the field. I never noticed anything different than a sore corn hole. Captain's Chicken, Cheese and veggie omelet were two of the worst MRE's to get stuck with in the field. Glad I don't have to eat that stuff anymore.

#44 ·
I have had a couple of the LRRP meals, they had a dehydrated hambooger patty and some beans in tomato sauce. Made a passable chili when mixed together and ate with crackers. The patty was actually quite tasty. We have certainly come a long way in field rations since WWII.

BTW, was talking to my Marine friend who helped finish off the WWII C Rats, he said the one thing they really liked about them was they came with a small pack of cigarettes. Still fresh even after all that time. Usually Chesterfields or Pall Mall.

#45 ·
I generally like the current MREs okay, and have a few cases set aside for 'hurricane evac" duty. The only entree I couldn't stomach was the "Beef in Jamaica Sauce" - oohhh... that stuff was nasty.....

Even the "Ham & MFers" was better. :grumble:

The pork patties made a pretty fair sandwich, but you did need plenty of something wet to wash it down.

#46 ·
Dad served in the Marines from 1948 to 1972.The last 19 as a reservest.When he came home from the two week summer training every year,he brought back a couple cases I would use for camping.Loved those coco bars.:thumbup1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.