Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: ATE MY FIRST MRE

Feedback Score

Don't forget this...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

When you are ALL OUT, this stuff comes in handy.

I may shoot the tree squirrels here till they run out with the Marlin .22CAL. After we clean them all out, who knows?

If you have a freeze dried something you can throw into a boiling pot of water and eat, More power to you!

Better collect a few things here folks. It is coming for sure!

Be ready for it.

Feedback Score

They are not kidding about the constipation. We used to think it was the cheese spread or peanut butter that plugged you up. Can't say for sure, but we used to avoid eating those spreads back in the 80's. I've noticed that the menu's have gotten more diverse since then, but it used to take me 3 days or so before I could down MRE's any time I was deployed in the 80's.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

It's the massive amount of sodium in them that plugs you up, which ain't a bad think if you're covering a checkpoint of any sort.

Anywhere in the range of the equivalent of 8-12 canteens of water keeps the works going though, the poop will just be a bit darker than normal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

One thing many folks may not be aware of is that rations are designed for one of two things. First, if you can eat low residue food, there's less to crap out, and thus less crap. This makes living in the field easier. However, low residue food is usually bland as hell (ask me how I know!) and the long inactivity of the bowel can be downright dangerous health-wise (again, I found this one out the hard way). So they go for second - very high in fiber and non-digestible residue, which means the crap is very compacted and solid. This reduces significantly the amount of sanitary cleanup required. And of course, less traces of human occupation in an area. Clean-breakers don't take a lot of ass-wipe... Of course, if you've got hemorrhoids, delivering an anal brick is going to be totally un-fun.

I'm guessing that for long-range covert missions, the rations would fall back to the low-residue. One can eat a sufficient caloric intake and only have to crap after several days.
    Q - What is Bambi?

A - Viable Target

Feedback Score

On the constipation issue, I have read that the government "engineered" them that way...they refer to them as being "low residue". I guess if you think about it, when in a combat situation, you wouldn't want to have to hit the crapper too often.

Regards,

SwampBilly

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

There's also the "pucker factor" to consider in battle.

do I *really* want to go while Ivan/Achmed/Ling-ling is scoping me out?
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Anyone remember MCI rations? How come I always ended up with the canned spam? Took me years to get that taste outta my mouth.

- Black Blade
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

Dare I ask what that "brown stuff" is on the left ??

SwampBilly

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SwampBilly View Post
    Dare I ask what that "brown stuff" is on the left ??

SwampBilly
    That's the Accessory Pack that comes with salt, pepper, sugar, instant coffee, non-dairy creamer, 2 pieces of candy-coated chewing gum, a packet of toilet paper, a 4-pack of commercial-grade cigarettes, and a book of 20 cardboard moisture-proof matches.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.