Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: ATE MY FIRST MRE

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I want to know if anyone out there was told that the gum in the newly issued MRE's were also a laxative? While I was in the Corps we were told that a number of times out in the field. I never noticed anything different than a sore corn hole. Captain's Chicken, Cheese and veggie omelet were two of the worst MRE's to get stuck with in the field. Glad I don't have to eat that stuff anymore.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

my kids love em
    gotta agree sure glad i dont have to eat them anymore
    got a couple of cases still just for emergencies-just as long as i keep em away from the kids!!!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile Can not really remember..

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    Oops, I circled the pork one, I've only had the ham one.

Did the pork one come with beans or something?
    Like the Kernel said. Nightmares.
    Some of the original MREs were called LRRP rations. Designed for the Long Range Recon Patrol guys too travel lite. Just add hot water, stir and eat.
    Keep in mind the weight factor when carrying "C rats" heavy with all the other stuff a trooper needed to survive.
    When given the case of C rats. What we did was take a P-38 and poke holes in the stuff we were not going to eat. Then buried them in the jungle so the enemy could not get a good "sic" meal.
    Ham and Lima beans went first.
    Some units in Nam were able to work out of base camps. Hot food was available to them. There job was no more safe or dangerous than ours. That was just the luck of the draw.
    Our A.O. in Nam was too large "II corps" too allow this.
    So C rats became our staple for many many months at a time, between any hope of a hot nutritious meal.
    Marine units up in I corps had the same problem. No hot food.
    K rats and C rats while nutritious, were designed for short term survival use.
    They kept one alive. But try eating peanut butter and jelly and beans and franks for a month. Oh God I am getting sick. So much for breakfast.
    Our whole company broke out in sores one week. Like boils. Was it the agent orange or lack of some vitamin?
    They choppered out a guy with some kind of shots and the boils went away. Damn those things hurt.
    Interesting posts on how food can make or break a Military.
    My Nam Bros reading this post who ate ham and Lima beans. Again your a better man than me. Nope never. Not even if I was starving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ATE MY FIRST MRE-reunion-vets.-010.jpg  

ATE MY FIRST MRE-picts-nam-006.jpg  

Last edited by 4thIDvet; 06-21-2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Picture..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have had a couple of the LRRP meals, they had a dehydrated hambooger patty and some beans in tomato sauce. Made a passable chili when mixed together and ate with crackers. The patty was actually quite tasty. We have certainly come a long way in field rations since WWII.

BTW, was talking to my Marine friend who helped finish off the WWII C Rats, he said the one thing they really liked about them was they came with a small pack of cigarettes. Still fresh even after all that time. Usually Chesterfields or Pall Mall.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

I generally like the current MREs okay, and have a few cases set aside for 'hurricane evac" duty. The only entree I couldn't stomach was the "Beef in Jamaica Sauce" - oohhh... that stuff was nasty.....

Even the "Ham & MFers" was better.

The pork patties made a pretty fair sandwich, but you did need plenty of something wet to wash it down.
    Vote OUT obama in 2012. Mombasa, Kenya needs it's Village Idiot back.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Dad served in the Marines from 1948 to 1972.The last 19 as a reservest.When he came home from the two week summer training every year,he brought back a couple cases I would use for camping.Loved those coco bars.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    The pork patties made a pretty fair sandwich, but you did need plenty of something wet to wash it down.
    The ones I had [pork slices, with juices] were better than SPAM.

2 slices fit on "standard" bread perfectly, so I cook 2 peices of spam and fry an egg at the same time, and put them on the bread with some american cheese, I'd assume it'd work with those...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.