Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Canning Recipes?

Feedback Score

I can using a wood stove (kitchen) using 2 older weight type (jiggle) weight types. A new seal is recommended if you buy a used one. The Ball Blue bookis standard, Be very careful if using old recipe books: safe time/ temperatures for canning have increased over the years as the microbes have gotten more resistant. This area needs to be up to date. Tomatoes are easy, dilly beans are a near staple, and blueberries are cold packed . Mackerel are also very nice, when available. Various jams, pickles, and sauces are very welcome, too.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

I have just planted a few veggis to start eating what i grow to help save a bit of money. Mu mom however has planted a BUNCH of maters and squash cukes and a few wother rthings. she used to can alot but has not in years. this will e her first time i years. I am thinking of planting more veggies to can and save mney through the year. Glad this thread is here helps give motivation.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have a problem. Actually 2:

I canned some cucumber pickles. Using the basic recipe, I used the 5% vinegar solution straight out of the bottle. Added the pickling salt, spices, dill, etc.

After letting them sit for a few weeks, the pickles are ***INCREDIBLY*** tart. As in too much vinegar. It is like drinking straight out of the vinegar bottle!

I tried to find a solution, and the only thing I can determine is that the solution has too much vinegar, and requires dilution. Here's the problem - the vinegar is already at the prescribed solution, so what will happen when I dilute with water? Will that weaken the vinegar brine to the point that I should worry about bacteria?

The pickles I canned are really soft. The solution I've read is to use Alum in the mix. But I soaked the cucumbers in an Alum solution according to what I read - soak in cold water an alum. But I obviously didn't do it right. Is there a way to figure when they have soaked "enough" to maintain crispness? Should I add Alum directly to the pickling jars?

What are some of your tried-and-true recipes for canning cucumber pickles?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

OK, blueberries - I have several bushes of them in my yard I have discovered. They can be canned? I sure would like to save some before they all drop off.

Whats a cold pack?

John 3:16

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well I found some more recipe information that states the alum can be put directly into the jar, but only up to 1/4 teaspoon per pint. I made some more up last night so we'll see.

SNS, be sure to download those USDA canning guides and look through them. A "cold pack" is described in the guide. It is basically mixing everything together, storing in a cool dark place (like a cellar) and letting it ferment for a few weeks, like you would do with wine or cheese. THEN boil the cans to seal them. It is much easier and safer to do the "hot pack" where you basically cook up the vinegar solution like a soup, pour over the veggies already in the jars, and boil them to seal them. Pressure cooking is different than that even.

From what the guides say, you can can pretty much anything, however there are some precautions you need to take for things with a lot of sugar like fruits to ensure no spoilage. Check out that guide, I htink it is in chapter 3.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I am on it! Thanks again ...

John 3:16

Feedback Score

Amazon.com: Putting Food By (Plume): Janet Greene, Ruth Hertzberg, Beatrice Vaughan: Books

Putting Food By is the bible, IMO.

GsT

Forgot to add Amazon.com: Hungry Hiker's Book of Good Cooking: Gretchen Mchugh: Books is an excellent book for those making hiking, camping, portable food - it's dehydrator-centric, but you'd be surprised what dehydrates and reconstitutes well. (Spaghetti sauce?)

Feedback Score

Not trying resurect an old thread, but I guess I will. I got a 23qt pressure canner last year of off ebay and had much success with some home grown veggies. I made sloppy joe/bbq sauce, spaghettie sauce, pickles and a few other things using this web site:

How to Can, Freeze, Dry and Preserve Any Fruit or Vegetable at Home

I couldnt tell if it had been mentioned in this thread yet.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by norrinradd View Post
    Not trying resurect an old thread, but I guess I will. I got a 23qt pressure canner last year of off ebay and had much success with some home grown veggies. I made sloppy joe/bbq sauce, spaghettie sauce, pickles and a few other things using this web site:

How to Can, Freeze, Dry and Preserve Any Fruit or Vegetable at Home

I couldnt tell if it had been mentioned in this thread yet.
    thanks for the link.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Here is a question for you all. Should I try to can using the glass top stove I have in the kitchen or would it be better to use the burner from my turkey fryer (hooked to a full propane tank and used outside of course )? I also have a side burner on my grill that might be big enough to use for canning. I just don't want to worry about jacking up the stove.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.