Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to store food...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default How to store food...

These are some videos I found on Youtube that show the proper method for storing food in 5 gallon buckets.

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

How to seal mylar bags with a clothes iron.

The mylar bags are about $2.00 each and be sure to use oxygen absorbers.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

If you are serious about dry pack canning, you may have a local LDS (Mormon) church community dry canning facility near you. Assuming there are some openings for time and equipment, they are usually quite willing to let non-Mormons use the facility.

Contact them, ask politely and be flexible in your schedule. The LDS canneries use actual cans in their facilities. While a bit more expensive than 5 gallon mylar canning, the smaller tin cans allow smaller quantities to be opened and used.

Tin cans are also more flexible in storage space demands.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    If you are serious about dry pack canning, you may have a local LDS (Mormon) church community dry canning facility near you. Assuming there are some openings for time and equipment, they are usually quite willing to let non-Mormons use the facility.

Contact them, ask politely and be flexible in your schedule. The LDS canneries use actual cans in their facilities. While a bit more expensive than 5 gallon mylar canning, the smaller tin cans allow smaller quantities to be opened and used.

Tin cans are also more flexible in storage space demands.
    There's big business in that now. You can go online and find sites that will sell you just about any kind of food properly preserved in #10 cans.
    Like most stuff, the more you buy the better the deal.
    But the point about the Mormons is right. They are masters of survival preparedness.
    Good videos on YouTube show how they organize and store their supply's.

What's good about the mylar system is you can reseal the bag after you take out what you need.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

appropriate links to morman info please???
    how about a source for mylair bags??
    I am off the page for extended times due to job requirements, not gone forever

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

From The Food Storage Faq - Specific Specifications

It may not be necessary to form your own community to purchase a dry-pack can sealer and bulk quantities of metal cans. If you live in the right area your local LDS church may have facilities they will allow you to use and perhaps even suitable food products they will sell you.

Most facilities will be located at one of the LDS Bishop's Storehouses located in various places around the country, but some churches also have their own local facilities. The easiest means of finding out is simply to ask the LDS church member you know. If they don't themselves know, or you don't know any Mormons then a little phone book research will be necessary. Find your nearest local Mormon church and ask about speaking with the local Bishop of the Ward or Relief Society president. Either one of those two individuals will be able to give you the information you seek.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do keep in mind that the individuals responsible for the family canneries are all volunteers with demands on their time from many areas. Be courteous when speaking with them and, if there are facilities for use, flexible in making arrangements to use them. You will, of course, have to pay for the supplies that you use, cans and lids at the least, and any food products you get from them.

Any food products you want to have sealed in cans will need to fall within their guidelines of suitability for that type of packaging. This is for reasons of spoilage control since many types of foods just aren't suitable for just sealing in a container without further processing. If you purchase food products from them, they will already be within those guidelines.

I've corresponded with many LDS members and have even contacted the LDS headquarters in Salt Lake City to get the official word. Keeping in mind that not every area may have facilities for use and that the family canneries are run by volunteers, they are quite earnest about allowing non-church members to use their facilities. It's worth investigating.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

A close buddy of mine died last week. So, his kids who live out of town gave me a key to watch the place. He has a bunch of canned foods and distilled water. The kids told me to take all of it. It is almost like emptying a small country store out, for free!

I am set.

MUSIBIKE

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MUSIBIKE View Post
    A close buddy of mine died last week. So, his kids who live out of town gave me a key to watch the place. He has a bunch of canned foods and distilled water. The kids told me to take all of it. It is almost like emptying a small country store out, for free!

I am set.

MUSIBIKE
    Sorry about your friend. I'm sure he's glad his hard work will be appreciated and put to good use. I hope I live a long life and never have to use what I have.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Yeap, it is a lot easier to HAVE than to HAVE NOT.

Living to get up another day to find all you had is GONE winds up being a real DRAG!!!

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

I contacted the LDS and they are going to send me some info.
    they were VERY nice and helpfull on the phone.!!
    I am off the page for extended times due to job requirements, not gone forever

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.