Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MRE Buying Info

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default MRE Buying Info

I was researching buying MREs and found MREinfo, looks like a really good resource on what to buy and what to avoid. The French RCIR looks yummy, better than stuff I eat on a daily basis.

Feedback Score

best way to obtain them is from National Guardsmen in your area. Apparently when they go on their weekends in the field or 2-week drills, they must buy MRE's (meaning they lose their comrats pay during that time). When they get back, they usually have left overs - like cases sometimes.

Best part about this method is:
    1. they are "fresh"
    2. don't have to worry about shipping

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrWithasee View Post
    best way to obtain them is from National Guardsmen in your area. Apparently when they go on their weekends in the field or 2-week drills, they must buy MRE's (meaning they lose their comrats pay during that time). When they get back, they usually have left overs - like cases sometimes.

Best part about this method is:
    1. they are "fresh"
    2. don't have to worry about shipping
    That is only the officers.

Unless something has drastically changed, when you're and enlisted person on Uncle Sams time, he picks up the tab for your food (lunch on weekend drills and the whole 3 meal a day thing on Annual Training).

Officers are given a load more pay, but they are expected to buy their own meals/uniforms/etc.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I happened upon a couple of the Military issue MRE meals last week. Our friends who are still without power came over and I cooked them up a hot meal out back on the pit. They gave us two MRE packs they stood in line to get. I put them with the ammo stores.

Some day we will have two meals if need be while loading up some clips in the ammo room.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
    That is only the officers.

Unless something has drastically changed, when you're and enlisted person on Uncle Sams time, he picks up the tab for your food (lunch on weekend drills and the whole 3 meal a day thing on Annual Training).

Officers are given a load more pay, but they are expected to buy their own meals/uniforms/etc.

Incorrect. Depending on the state, you may still be charged. When I went to AT this year, I had (if I remember the price correctly) a $250 deduction on my LES. This was for rations. And Oklahoma was nice enough to reimburse me. However not every state may do this. I was shocked. However that was the first time since joining the Guard that I had done my AT at an Active Duty post.
    Infantryman
    Two Combat Tours
    Criminal Justice Major.
    15 years of shooting under the belt
    Collection of both modern and antique handguns and rifles
    STILL A YOUNG MAN WITH LOTS OF TIME

Feedback Score

My opinion, find something else to take the place of MRE's. I swear these things are not ment to be a "long" term option for food (two weeks max). It could just be me, but they make me feel like crap.

This was lunch everyday while deployed for Ike. We found other options.
    If your in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
    -someone importanat

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coastie Kyle View Post
    My opinion, find something else to take the place of MRE's. I swear these things are not ment to be a "long" term option for food (two weeks max). It could just be me, but they make me feel like crap.

This was lunch everyday while deployed for Ike. We found other options.
    I hope you don't get deployed into a combat zone, then.

I ate those SOBs breakfast lunch and dinner for almost a month in Desert Storm.

No McDonalds out in the desert, either.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Man,
    MRE's are great... They beat the hell ot of the C-rations(or my wife's cooking) I was issued in 11B OSUT(basic & AIT) in '83. I still eat them often.
    Check Ebay or your local pawn shop,especially if you live near a military post, you'll find them for around $50-$65 a case. Make sure you get both A & B cases.
    Bassett
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six"

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
    I hope you don't get deployed into a combat zone, then.
    Thats funny, kinda sounds like your saying I have never been to a combat zone. I bet you would NEVER say that to a Marine would you? Believe it or not, the USCG actually is an "armed force", part of the "armed force(s)". Never had to eat them for a month striaght though so I guess I never "really" served in a combat zone. THANKS.
    If your in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
    -someone importanat

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coastie Kyle View Post
    Thats funny, kinda sounds like your saying I have never been to a combat zone. I bet you would NEVER say that to a Marine would you? Believe it or not, the USCG actually is an "armed force", part of the "armed force(s)". Never had to eat them for a month striaght though so I guess I never "really" served in a combat zone. THANKS.
    I was not slighting the Coast Guard.

Wait until you get assigned to a ground unit out in the middle of nowhere ( no kitchen unit ) and get to eat MREs for days straight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.