Gunco Forums banner

Ammo versatility...

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  MUSIBIKE 
#1 ·
Ok, from a survival standpoint. If I had to bug out, and head for the hills, probably the two weapons I would end up taking with me would be a Mod 65 S&W and probably my Ruger PC9. The reason being is it is my handiest rifle, and favorite pistol. I have a couple AKs and SKS amoung other bolt guns. But the PC9 doesnt really turns heads and is very versatile.

But what about the ammo! As a reloader, I love cast bullets. Their usually pretty accurate. But lets get some opinions here. One of my favorite loads is a 158g LSWC over 4g of Unique in a 38spl case. Pretty accurate. And I could simple grab one of my .30 cal ammo cans that is filled to the lid with them.

For the 9 mil, I probably would go with factory JHP ammo, because I haven't shot lead in the PC9 before.

What do you guys think. Ample for small game and defense? Or with that combo would you prefer something different?

#2 ·
A rifle caliber is best for a rifle as a pistol caliber carbine lacks the ability to penetrate soft body armor, lacks stopping power, is a poor choice for anything except small game as it requires absolutely perfect shot placement to the central nervous system on large game, and lacks range as it is not flat shooting. Also, any longarm will cause folks to take notice of you in a sistuation that requires you to bug out. If you insist on carrying a pistol caliber carbine in 9mm, the 147gr XTP bullet in a hollow point or 147gr FMJ to get maximum penetration. Also, carrying a 9mm longarm and not carrying a 9mm handgun makes little sense as ammunition interchangability is the number one reason folks decide to carry a pistol caliber longarm and really is the only reason in my book besides I don't have a rifle caliber longarm.

-Yarro

#3 ·
I have a RUGER PC9. This rifle penetrates way beyond what you may believe. Carrying a 9mm long gun makes all of the sense I could possibly imagine. A long gun will impart more velocity from this pistol round. Mine is quite good.

The PC9 I own is outstandind in performance and reliability. A well made system. With plenty of STOPPING power!

I will be sitting waiting with a PC9 as a backup in a SHTF ordeal. Along with an UZI and, AR15 9mm.

The Germans mowed down plenty of us with the 9mm MP-40!

In a long gun like the PC9, you will have plenty of control!

MUSIBIKE

#5 ·
Ok, from a survival standpoint. If I had to bug out, and head for the hills, probably the two weapons I would end up taking with me would be a Mod 65 S&W and probably my Ruger PC9. The reason being is it is my handiest rifle, and favorite pistol. I have a couple AKs and SKS amoung other bolt guns. But the PC9 doesnt really turns heads and is very versatile.

But what about the ammo! As a reloader, I love cast bullets. Their usually pretty accurate. But lets get some opinions here. One of my favorite loads is a 158g LSWC over 4g of Unique in a 38spl case. Pretty accurate. And I could simple grab one of my .30 cal ammo cans that is filled to the lid with them.

For the 9 mil, I probably would go with factory JHP ammo, because I haven't shot lead in the PC9 before.

What do you guys think. Ample for small game and defense? Or with that combo would you prefer something different?
You know you're really asking "which car gets the best mileage"... any car will get you there! ;)

Many hunters/trappers/settlers/etc. have used cast bullets for literally hundreds of years and shot more things than I'd even want to count. I wouldn't worry about it.

I would shoot some of those cast through YOUR weapons. You may be surprised by the small amount, if any, of lead fouling you'll get. My dad swears by his cast bullets in his Colt .45. I would not shoot them in a gun that had a big guide ramp like an AK just because of the damage to the bullets from the ramp, but that would be about it. Otherwise take your ammo cans full of bullets and enjoy! :naughty:

#6 ·
For a gun that shoots reloads great, an Uzi is hard to beat, I'm talking about cast 9mm. I like bullseye powder more bang for the buck. A 7.62 M14 is the rifle, scoped of course. Ruger 22 pistol for quite work. Ammo will be hard to get in the future if Obom gets in, a
500% tax is waiting for us.

#8 ·
Im waiting for the HI-POINT 9545 to come out as a companin to my 1911A1.I think there getting close to release time.Im a block away from DISTRICT 3 Police station in Cincinnati so a 45acp in pistol or carbine should do the job if needed.My other weapons are for hunting man or beast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.