Gunco Forums banner

Good source for Jerry Cans

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  hcpookie 
#1 ·
I received some nice, USED, euro cans from Maine Military Supply. $15 each, $23 after shipping and handling. This is cheaper than most people, and they actually have them in stock. :) I purhased some 3-packs @ $45/pack and they arrived via UPS in about a week!

https://www.mainemilitary.com/Default.asp?

Used, yes. Authentic military surplus, yes. I think German but I can't say for certain. They all say 20L on the outside (5 gallons). They have some surface rust around the handles, but then again they ARE surplus.

g2busmc pointed me to this place - they have quite a bit of nice stuff! I didn't want to post until I had them in hand in case they were rusted out or something.

Worth checking out if you want some Jerry Cans. Supposedly after January 2009, there is a restriction on what kinds of cans can be sold due to emissions or spillage issues with the older kind. A guy at the gun show had a new tan military jerry can - plastic - and wanted $45 for just the one! $45 for a gas can... sheesh! These guys are cheaper than Cheaper Than Dirt, *AND* they ship! CTD won't ship to VA because of some emissions law or something in DC. Ah well...

See less See more
#2 ·
hmm tan plastic gas can? our water cans look like jerry cans and their tan plastic. unless it said gas or fuel i bet it was a water can

#5 ·
Did they come with the spouts?

I know what you mean about the prices of gas cans now, last year I went looking for one and the only new metal cans I could find were $60 for a five gallon round can. WTF!

#6 ·
No spouts. I think the gaskets are original. I haven't looked for replacement gaskets but I have some gasket rubber from HD that I plan to cut to shape for replacements. I know that Cheaper Than Dirt has a no-leak spout that has a rubber hose setup to stop leakage - was getting real good reviews.

#8 ·
You definately need the spouts to pour fuel out of them without getting half of it on the ground. Maine Military Supply has them too. https://www.mainemilitary.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=107&idproduct=2239

The European water and gas cans look exactly the same except what is stamped on the outside. I have 8 Swiss water cans that I bought new and are the same Euro NATO pattern. I don't like used water cans as I know sometimes the soldiers put stuff in them besides water. I use used surplus Euro cans painted red for gas and my dad uses ones painted yellow for diesel. They are durable as hell but heavy compared to a commercial can. The handles are made to allow you to carry two empty cans in each hand.

-Yarro

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.