Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Complete Proteins & Scurvy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Complete Proteins & Scurvy

Scurvy & proteins don't really have anything to do with each other, I just didn't feel like opening two threads.

Proteins

A vegetarian was talking to me about Complete vs. Incomplete proteins; not that many gun owners are vegetarian, but if there is a food shortage, the information is invaluable.

To get started a complete protein is a protein which contains all of the essential amino acids for the dietary needs of humans or other animals.

Complete proteins include:
    • Animal
      • Meat
      • Poultry
      • Seafood
      • Eggs
      • Dairy
    • Vegetable
      • Soy (tofu)
      • Buckwheat
      • Hempseed
      • Amaranth (pigweed)
      • Quinoa (type of grain)
      • Aphanizomenon flos-aquae (blue green algae)
      • Spirulina
      • Others (couldn't find a complete list)
    Incomplete proteins only contain some of the amino acids which humans require. They should be combined with other complimentary proteins to make a complete protein. In the list below, one Group A protein can be combined with one Group B protein to create a complete protein.
    • Group A
      • breakfast cereal
      • pasta
      • spaghetti
      • noodles
      • wheat products
      • flour products
    • Group B
      • Legumes (Beans & Peas)
        • aduki
        • kidney
        • runner
        • soya
        • chick peas
        • mushy peas
        • processed peas
        • baked beans (yum!)
        • petit pois
        • beansprouts
      • Vegetables & Potatoes (Fresh or Frozen)
        • baked potato with skin
        • sweet corn
        • collards
        • artichoke
        • fennel
        • kale
        • sweet potato
      • Nuts & Seed
        • walnuts
        • cashews
        • peantus
        • pumpkin seeds (these have a lot of protein)
        • sunflower
        • sesame
    References: vbrtrmn's survival.proteins Bookmarks on Delicious

Scurvy

One of the things rarely brought up on survival boards is scurvy, which is a disease caused by lack of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is required for the production of collogen. Scurvy was pretty common among sailor, pirates, and people involved in shipping, due to the inability to store fruits and vegetables. To avoid it, you can take a small amount of Vitamin C, which is sufficient. My recommendation, keep some general multivitamins, in your survival kit; all of them have expiration dates on the bottle, though it is unlikely that the vitamins are really going to expire as fast as the bottle states. If you normally take a multivitamin, you may want to buy an extra bottle and add it to a rotation.

References:
    Scurvy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The best multivitamin for you -- and 11 to steer clear of - CNN.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

This is a great post! As in my previous survival posts, I have noted that multi vites are worth their weight in gold, because NO ONE can effectively fight or have a decent chance of survival if they are sick.
    Obviously, if TSHTF, the first few months may be allright, but longer than that, a SUPPLEMENT(which is how multi vites are intended to be used) may be required.
    A good diet, and healthy eating means that MOST wont ever need to take a MV, but I cant hurt.
    I also use Zinc when I feel ill(boosts immune system response) as well as folic acid(VIT C).
    I keep flintstones around for my kids as well.
    Since taking multi vites, eating healthier, excercising and washing my hands several times daily(sound silly but it works), I have noticed that I may catch a cold once a year.

For proper nutrition during survivial situations, I reccomend purchasing an outdoor survival book that outlines edible vegetation and proper animal preparation and storage.

Keeping seeds around(dried) and a compost heap in the yard ALSO means that you can create an INDOOR or OUTDOOR garden.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for the compliment I spent about 3 hours putting the information together and editing my post; I always like to list references, since there is so much bullsh*t information out there. Good feedback as well!

Another source of protein, in a light weight package is the protein drinks which weight lifters use, I'm not sure if it makes a complete protein or not, you'd have to read the labels. Many of these powdered mixes have many vitamins, minerals, proteins and calories. If you're not doing a lot of work, stay away from them or you'll get fat. If you're out hunting, chopping wood, or running from the zombies, this is be a good light weight source of protein. If you don't have a source of liquid milk, you can mix it with powdered milk and water. I don't really have any I could recommend, be sure to read the label thoroughly, you don't want to get any with a lot of sugar.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

indeed.
    peanut butter andtuna fish have the highest amount of protein and are healthy foods. i would suggest hoarding peanut butter if things go south as well as tuna in oil or water,to compliment your stash of canned goods and bottled water.
    soy is a wonderful bean and very versatile. i also keep a smoker, salt and a dehydrator around so that i can make as much venison jerky as i want(provided that the genny keeps running)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

These are some great posts. I think a lot of us are forgetting about what they may are going to have to eat and drink come this Spring? Like ammo and firepower food and enough of it is what you are going to need to last through it.

Watch what happens when they all learn that Obama is not going to come through for them. Kind of around March or so.

M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I bought a few large bottles of chewable Vitamin C from Costco and now buy a new one each time I finish one. I do the same with a multi-vitamin. The family should be good for a couple of years.

Beans and rice together are supposed to give you complete proteins. I stocked up with those first and then started adding powdered milk, cheese, eggs, and some grains and dried/canned veggies.

-Yarro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by yarro View Post
    I bought a few large bottles of chewable Vitamin C from Costco and now buy a new one each time I finish one. I do the same with a multi-vitamin. The family should be good for a couple of years.

Beans and rice together are supposed to give you complete proteins. I stocked up with those first and then started adding powdered milk, cheese, eggs, and some grains and dried/canned veggies.

-Yarro
    Dry beans and rice are probably the best staples, provided that you can keep them dry. Along with canned fruits and veggies.
    I like the idea of planting a sustainable garden, but for some of us that live in neighborhoods or suburbs, an OUTSIDE garden may not be ideal.
    \Finding a way of growing herbs and vegetables INSIDE or constructing a "hot house" or indoor greenhouse might be the best way?
    My wife and I have several large troughs and barrells that have been filleted to hold large amounts of dirt so that we can grow veggies inside

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

im curious would storing dry foods like beans and rice, and anything else in ammo cans affect the foods, only wondering cause i got a bunch and they are indeed air tight so keeping stuff dry would be easy.
    ~ Czolgosz, Leon (1873-1902)
    "I killed the President because he was the enemy of the good people, the good working people. I am not sorry for my crime."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by g2busmc View Post
    im curious would storing dry foods like beans and rice, and anything else in ammo cans affect the foods, only wondering cause i got a bunch and they are indeed air tight so keeping stuff dry would be easy.
    i think that is an exce;llent idea, in fact, you could take it one step further and pack the items in ziplocks and then put them in the cans.you'd lose a little space, but the supply would keep longer...?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

They should work, But I think I'd wash them out real good first.
    I'd rather be a "has been" than a wannabe!

2TIMOTHY2,4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairsof this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

God, Guns and Guts made America free,
    Lets keep all three.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.