Gunco Forums banner

what should I stock up on??

9K views 54 replies 23 participants last post by  colombo 
#1 ·
well we all know the econome is going in the crapper. hay I think it is their allready... I hear a lot of talk about hyper inflation on the way, now I even see a thread about. I agree with spending some cash before it is worthless. maby help things and cover my but at the same time.
first off let me say NO I am not going to buy gold!! the government has taken away our rite to own gold in the past and could do it again.. and I think if you do not have your ammo yet , you missed the boat.
SO what else is a good idea to stock up on. I allready bought some bar, dish, and laundry soap, and some T.P. Now I am looking for some more ideas of things to get that will not spoil. I am intrested in any suggestions that could make life easyer if dollars are gone or worthless.
Is anyone else stocking anything with the same idea in mind?

#4 ·
35 reads and two responces, come on I know everyone has some good ideas here feel free to post in !!
first aid GREAT IDEA, spices good idea again, seeds another great idea.
a couple gallons of bleach = good idea
I allready have some big bags of rice.

#6 ·
Ammo, ammo, ammo, any kind any size. Even if you don't have a gun that cal. it can be traded or sold at a later date. Flour and the rest of the stuff it takes to make bread, remember the long lines for bread in Russia when there economy when’t down the crapper. You could have the neighborhood armed bakery, where no one gets out of line.

#7 ·
Don't forget about candles, batteries, coal oil, and matches. Spare scrap wood about on your property is a premium trade element. I have cooked steaks along with entire meals out there in the back yard with just a few hand fulls of twigs and some branches.

Go to the hardware store and buy up some water collection containers. Then, rig a spout to collect rain water off of your roof. This will make all of the difference in a hot time of the year when there may not be any rain for weeks.

Say some prayers.

#8 ·
A well! Like the Colonel said bleach, but make sure it's not scented. Brown rice, beans, sugar, flour, salt, personal hygene items (cheap generic so you can get more and use for man and woman). Toilette paper, meds, the list could go on and on.
Plant fruit trees and a garden and get plenty of mason jars & lids.
Whiskey, rum or some other kind of alcohol for trade or as pain relief.
Rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide.
Aloe plant for burns.
Spice garden? chickens?
Stuff that you can't make/grow but need to stay alive and healthy.
Some things might be unique to you as required by health, age, location.

#9 ·
Hand powered tools to use in place of air or electric. Such as the old egg beater style drill, hand saw, axe. It could get to the point wher it takes all the money you make just o buy food and essentials. Might have to get rid of phone, electric for economic reasons.
Maybe a solar panel big enough to charge things that you must have or so you can have some light at night (hmm candles).

#10 ·
Just the short list off the top of my head:

I have roughly 4-5 years worth nonperishable food ranging from cases of #10 cans of Mountain House freeze-dried to canned butter and cheese to spices. Also two Big Berkey water filters with extra filters and 55 gal. water bbls. Of course the usual assortment of firearms and ammo (over 88,000 rounds of ammo in various cal. from 9x18 to 7.62x54R and 8mm Mauser). ProElite HP crossbow (135 lb draw) for silent hunting/defense. First aid and med kits for basic health to emergency surgury, and various meds. Then the add ons like Berkey solar chargers, Free Play chargers, Free Play radios and flashlights, and rechargeable batteries.

Oh yeah, and I do preserve wealth with Silver and Gold bullion as well as have "junk silver" pre-1964 coin for trade.

Interesting read (fiction) that demonstrates we are never really "ready" for any contingency. Still a good story:

http://survivalmonkey.com/SF books/LightsOut!/LightsOut-Current.pdf

A bugout cabin helps

#36 ·
Just the short list off the top of my head:

I have roughly 4-5 years worth nonperishable food ranging from cases of #10 cans of Mountain House freeze-dried to canned butter and cheese to spices. Also two Big Berkey water filters with extra filters and 55 gal. water bbls. Of course the usual assortment of firearms and ammo (over 88,000 rounds of ammo in various cal. from 9x18 to 7.62x54R and 8mm Mauser). ProElite HP crossbow (135 lb draw) for silent hunting/defense. First aid and med kits for basic health to emergency surgury, and various meds. Then the add ons like Berkey solar chargers, Free Play chargers, Free Play radios and flashlights, and rechargeable batteries.

Oh yeah, and I do preserve wealth with Silver and Gold bullion as well as have "junk silver" pre-1964 coin for trade.

Interesting read (fiction) that demonstrates we are never really "ready" for any contingency. Still a good story:

http://survivalmonkey.com/SF%20books/LightsOut!/LightsOut-Current.pdf

A bugout cabin helps

Damn you Blade!

I have spent the last two days reading that novel! 611 Pages, I could not put it down.

#11 ·
I know a lot of us guys like to think food guns and ammo. but what about shoes or boots i bet a good pair of boot will fitch a high price if things get as shitty as i think they might. dont forget about clothes too you can get a lot at a local thrift store (i use cheap clothes for work around the house) you can get about a weeks worth for about $60 to $70 bucks.

Black Blade Dude you need a room mate??? I like the cut in you jib nevr thought much about a crossbow good one

#17 ·
Get the duel fuel type colemans that can run on gas and spare generators and mantles. extra globes wouldn't hurt either. Take a 3" section of a small/medium coffee can with holes cut in the top and sides to allow the heat out. Set it on top of your coleman lantern making a flat surface to set a small pot or pan on. This will allow you to use the lantern to heat up your food, or cook on it if you're not in a hurry. I've used my coleman 295 duel fuel lantern many times hunting up in the mountains when the wind was blowing the snow sideways. Works great to heat up a can of chille or a single serving of food. You'll already have the lantern going anyway.

#16 ·
WOW now this what I had hoped for, a lot of suggestions. Some I have and some I did not think of!! extra boots, must have item GREAT IDEA!!!! cross bow for silent huntting , another great idea. this is all good stuff, I hope this list can help others too.
THANKS EVERYONE!!!
KEEP THE SUGGESTIONS COMMING!!! especialy things I may have not thought of!

#19 ·
I'm going to gather a good rope assortment. Can't have too much rope. I don't have one of those fire sparkers either.
I bought a case of " strike anywhere" kitchen matches.

Has anyone thought of keeping a couple pair of handcuffs in the house? in case of home invasion where you don't just kill them?

#20 ·
For trade bait; how about cans of Bugler or Tops tobacco? I know what it's like to try quitting. I bet people would give their left nut for a smoke after about two days without.

#24 ·
In a few weeks the local farm stores will be getting in their baby chicks and ducks, after a couple weeks the unsold critters have eaten more than they can be sold for so the store either gives them away or marks them down to like a quarter apiece. If you have a rural property it takes very little to keep some chickens about, basically a place for them to get out of the weather and roost at night, maybe a bag or so of cracked corn to supplement their foraging diet every couple months. Almost free eggs and meat. Accurate alarm clock too.

#26 ·
How about taking all the suggestions you get and put them on one list and have everyone vote on priority level.

Oh yeah hand crank meat grinder.
Blankets, firewood?

#28 ·
A few years back I almost died from a heat stroke. No fun at all. The worst cramps I've ever had, along with kidney failure. When I finally got out of the hospital ,they told me to drink as much Gatoraide as I could when I was working.
I think a high electrolyte POWDERED drink mix would be another possible life saver in a time of stress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.