Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: what should I stock up on??

Feedback Score

ammo

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

After hearing all of that about the Texas National guard being put on alert at the Mexican border the wife and I are going to the store this evening and do some stock up shopping. It looks like food and water may be at least twice as expensive after the first something happens on US soil. So, it may be time to get more put up than these survival high calorie bars.
    M U S I B I K E

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I bought a $ 100.00 cart full of canned goods today. I'm going to fill er up every time I go to the store.
    I've got a 300 foot well & a couple ponds for water.
    Bought 100 channel cats & 100 hybrid bluegills last week. Gal said the gills would be 2 - 3 pounds in two years!
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Go ahead and just pick it up now! You won't believe how well you did when the news comes on that it went to SHIT!

Get enough to feed the animals well! They are kids.

Buy water purification tablets and canned food. Every can you have would amount to another day you DO NOT have to submit to a FEMA compound. Get everything you can stash.

Now is a time of realistic consideration. Believe me, you will not be out of order going into Walgeen's and buying out the Corned beef and sardines. When you are listening to a battery powered AM radio about nothing available to feed people, that Spam will sure be a plate of GOLD when you and your family are eating food.

Every time I go in there and walk out with so much stuff that I can hardly carry, they look at me and grin. Sardines, Spam, Corned beef, ravioli and, spaghetti & meat balls. Why is this old fart buying all of this weird stuff? I KNOW IT WILL BE PALITABLE WHEM THE SHTF!!!

Another load awaites my purchase this weekend. Good old fat & calories! heat it up on a pit with wood and drink some BEER! Life will be good! I will just have to keep the AR15 next to me.

IKE left us all alone in the neighborhood. But, we had power, booze, food and, FIREPOWER!

:-) :-) :-) :-)
    M U S I B I K E

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Common Sense Advise!!!

Everything that has been suggested is good info!

Find a 99cent store or similar (big lots) in your area.

Canned Goods, Dried goods, Foil Pack Goods....Pasta.....All good

Think about your ability to cook.

Think about your ability to withstand a winter without power or fuel.

Water. Water, Water!

Just my $0.02
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

we have a large vaccum sealer and buy ( dry goods) beans, rice, instant potatoes, assorted nuts, lots of popcorn, salt, dried fruit, dried vegatables, sugar, assorted pasta, etc. in large quanities and break them down to a daily use size and then vaccum seal them, date them and use the oldest dated ones first ( now), this rotates them out and we always have fresh stock of dry goods.

i have a swimming pool i can route the roof water into it. this way we have water. water is very important for survival.

we have several boxes of solar lights, never opened boxes, set outside in day time and bring in at night for some light.

we have a small green house and a small garden...........

what everyone else has said ........

meat can goods.
    plenty of ammo, weapons, first aid stuff, extra meds.

enough to keep your family alive for a couple years.

keep in mind that where you are is where you will be, so don't put your stuff more than 5 to 10 miles from your home base. when marshall law or whatever is declaired you will not be able to move around far.

good luck, stay safe, be ready.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Gunco Member Windage and Elevation's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Some basic stuff to share with ya - I've been at this a while -

1. As to bleach - liquid bleach breaks down fairly rapidly and loses it's ability to be useful as a disinfectant (or much else) Also a PITA to store a bunch of gallons. A bag or two of Chlorine crystals (Lowes, Home Depot, pool supply, etc) are by comparison super concentrated, and will last years longer than liquid. Much easier to store, too.

2. Food - Many really god ideas here, but remember - you gotta EAT what you store, so store what you eat!I know folks with hundreds of pounds of grain, dry corn, etc that have never taken a cup of it and cooked it! Try foods out on your family, and be sure little suzy will EAT it before you buy 200 lbs of it - whatever it is! Dry goods are key. Lotsa people store beans as they are light, compact, and a good source of protein - hard to get that anywhere but meats, and you need it. Powdered milk is a good idea, too. I bought a manual grain grinder on the 'net for 40 dollars, and can and DO grind wheat with it.

So - Start small, make sure you like what you store, and look for variety. 500 pounds of pintos will only keep you alive if you don't go nuts and shoot yourself after 15 days of nothing but beans. Spices, too - dry diced onions, seasoning salts, garlic, pepper, whatever you can use to change the taste of whatever you're eating!

Good Luck,
    W&E
    I was not delivered into this world into defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd.
    I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep.
    The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.
    I will persist until I succeed.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    I bought a $ 100.00 cart full of canned goods today. I'm going to fill er up every time I go to the store.
    I've got a 300 foot well & a couple ponds for water.
    Bought 100 channel cats & 100 hybrid bluegills last week. Gal said the gills would be 2 - 3 pounds in two years!

I put 150 channel cats, 300 bluegill and 5000 flathead minnows in my pond last year, I fed them cheap dog food all year...unless the pond was frozen...They were close to eating size the last time I caught one in October.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Good to see you made it back from vacation safe 555th. Are you home or typing from a puter in a motel room?

Did you see and or hear any shooting there in Mexico?
    M U S I B I K E

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 555th View Post
    I put 150 channel cats, 300 bluegill and 5000 flathead minnows in my pond last year, I fed them cheap dog food all year...unless the pond was frozen...They were close to eating size the last time I caught one in October.

Might have bought them from the same folks. ( a year apart)The truck was in NC & Ky before coming here. From Ark. I think.
    I got them minners too. Might get more when the next truck comes around. I put that Aqua Blue in there this week. Perty.
    I did not ask if the hybrid bluegills breed or not?
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.