Thread: humidity level for storing ammo

Feedback Score

Default humidity level for storing ammo

What would be considered to high of a level??

jrs
    Feedback Score

This article only mentions using desicant to keep below 30% humidity. Try googling "ammuminition long term storate"

Long Term Ammunition Storage Made Easy | Front Toward Enemy
    jrs
    --
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.", Will Durant

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", Edmund Burke

Feedback Score

Just as low of humidity as possible, and as cold as possible, though much ammo has been stored badly, and still works 40 years later...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Go to Desiccants - Uline to order dessicant by the bucket. Buy ammo cans, and get your ammo around. then combine all three, Label, wire shut, and youll be good. for wire twisting plires visit - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices i use those cause they work great and thats what the armorers and ammo techs use dont forget the mechanics wire thats advertised to the right - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
    ~ Czolgosz, Leon (1873-1902)
    "I killed the President because he was the enemy of the good people, the good working people. I am not sorry for my crime."

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Or, wire-tie shut. Simple, easy and effective. I also like dielectric grease on the rubber seals on ammo cans. It doesn't affect rubber and aids in making the seal.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Or, wire-tie shut. Simple, easy and effective. I also like dielectric grease on the rubber seals on ammo cans. It doesn't affect rubber and aids in making the seal.
    I've heard silicone spray, like you put on your car's door/trunk gaskets. It makes the rubber less dried out...

Feedback Score

Syclica gel from cheaper than dirt....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Remember that as the temp goes down in a sealed item the humidity goes up. I pack my ammo during the winter on a cold dry day. In AZ, that meant 40ish degrees and less than 10% humidity. My Radway 5.56 was packed at 39degrees and 6% humidity, why did I have nose bleeds again... Haven't done it yet here in Texas so I will have to dig out my humidity probe this winter and try to find a good day. Probably be a lot harder. I also don't reload ammo when it is humid either. I know some folks don't have much choice though.

-yarro

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.