Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Protecting myself during a disaster situation

Feedback Score

Default Protecting myself during a disaster situation

I really want to better protect my home and my family in the case of a natural disaster or attack. Looking back on disasters like Hurricane Katrina, I know people started to loot homes and steal from stores. I have a gun that I keep tucked away, but it’s been a while since I’ve brushed up on my skills. I live in the San Diego area, and am looking for shooting ranges, places to go, and classes to take that can help when it comes to protecting your home. I’ve considered taking a self defense class, or other classes offered in my area. Any advice on where to start? What are some good places to go? “Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.” Steven Wright

jrs
    Feedback Score

San Diego Shooting ranges

san diego shooting range - Google Search

More San Diego links
    San Diego shooting resources
    jrs
    --
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.", Will Durant

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", Edmund Burke

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Hello & welcome to the forum.

I can't help with things in your area but the best advice is to practice with your firearm(s). Both at the range or just using the safety, reloading and taking it apart and assembling it. Another good thing to do is put in a snap cap or dummy round once and a while, this will help you get used to clearing jams and miss fired rounds as fast as possible.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I am a member at Project2000 in El Cajon. I like this place alot. Indoor pistol range and INDOOR 100 yard rifle range! No more blaming poor groups on the wind! They have trap as well.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Now would be a good time to get that weapon out and go through it well. Verify it functions and, obtain at least several boxes of ammo.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I agree with everyone else. Guns are like anything else and NEED to be put through paces, to ensure functionability. Never assume that a gun will work when its new..(trust me).
    Also find out which ammo your gun likes the best.

I know that Combat Solutions offers an array of various defense and preparedness classes for this very scenario. Night shooting, night confrontations, home defense, defense classes for women, etc.
    Get your blood pumping at the range before firing a few shots ..it makes things more realistic

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Garnell View Post
    I really want to better protect my home and my family...

I know people started to loot homes and steal from stores. I have a gun that I keep tucked away, but it’s been a while since I’ve brushed up on my skills. I live in the San Diego area, and am looking for shooting ranges, places to go.
    Don't you know in California no one needs guns anymore... only the sheriff's dept and gang banger's need guns. If you're not in those two groups you might as well not have a gun.

Seriously, good luck. You live in the most anti-gun place on the planet. Stock up on ammo now, because it looks like you have some new laws headed your way. I would recommend a nice Tokarev TTC and a few spam cans of 7.62 x 25 ammo... (~$100 for 1260 rounds.) It's a $200 gun and cheap ammo that you can afford to lose if you get into a situation that you need to use your weapon. I might add it's a very effective and powerful round.

Mark

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The problem is that the 7.62x25 ammo prices are starting to creep higher as well. The cheapest is Romanian surplus running about 11 cents a round (more with the cost shipping added). Maybe a little cheaper from SG using the coupon, but not much cheaper. Still, not a bad deal compared to most guns and ammo these days. At least it's still widely available like Makarov ammo. I just bought another Romanian Tok and two more spam cans of ammo this last week. The ammo is already in transit and the Tok gun purchase from SOG is still "pending".
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Centerfire has the TT33 for $199 still. GREAT gun with plenty of power.

I just got one of them .45CAL MAC-10 Semi pistols from them. It is fed with a Grease Gun mag. This little thing is more or less just a .45Cal, semiautomatic STEN. And, fires from a closed bolt. The internals are more like a semi UZI though. Glad I picked one of these up!
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
    The problem is that the 7.62x25 ammo prices are starting to creep higher as well. The cheapest is Romanian surplus running about 11 cents a round (more with the cost shipping added). Maybe a little cheaper from SG using the coupon, but not much cheaper. Still, not a bad deal compared to most guns and ammo these days. At least it's still widely available like Makarov ammo. I just bought another Romanian Tok and two more spam cans of ammo this last week. The ammo is already in transit and the Tok gun purchase from SOG is still "pending".

I just picked up polish surplus (on CAI's site 2 days ago for $88.00/1260 rounds plus the ride. $100.95 shipped to my door.) That works out to 7 cents a round before shipping and about 8 cents a round shipped. Compared to everything else it's a bargain... what's 9mm (if you can find it) running these days? And Markarov ammo, I couldn't even find surplus ammo, it was about .22 per round.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.